Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Allow me to lower the tone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikey_C
    replied
    More interesting, perhaps, are the traits which creative people, particularly poets, apparently share with schizophrenics. http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/...653761,00.html

For a long time, I've speculated that all artistic activity stems from the basic function of shamanism in primitive societies. Think of the earliest cave paintings based on shamanic themes, the dancing, the chants, the drama involved in sympathetic magic. Also - the individuals selected to be shamen in many cultures tend to be those exhibiting signs of what would be deemed mental illness in the modern day.

So this doesn't surprise me.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Strangely there was no mention of sex during my degree course, but lots about depression. Perhaps I picked the wrong course?

To avoid sex, I try to depress as many women as possible... wait, no, I think Perdix had a better idea. :)

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    To avoid depression, I try to have sex with lots of different partners. My wife's not very happy about it, but I tell her its essential for my creativity...

Leave a comment:

• Azariel
    replied
    Sounds like jibberish - many creative people who didn't date often, REH and HPL! Now as for depression in writers, I agree to that, and we are more prone to it than most people - thats what you get for thinking outside the box - no one gets you fully! But I am a prime example of creativity without sexual sucess - I've concetrated so much on my writing and books, I've become something of a recluse and hermit!

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    And so another stereotype is confirmed. I wonder where they found these 'creative people'?

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    started a topic Allow me to lower the tone...

Allow me to lower the tone...

This just in from our news desk, creativity linked with sexual success:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/30112005/80...l-success.html

And it's "news", so it must be FACT... right? :(
Working...
X