Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Allow me to lower the tone...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Mikey_C
    Originally posted by spaced_moorcock
    Maybe the flustration (sic) could be aiding the creative process?
    That's what Freud called 'sublimation'.
    Cool. Do I have to lie on a couch and tell you about my mother? :) Speaking of Freud, I've ordered the action figure. I first saw them in a shop in Amsterdam but decided not to buy one. The temptation became too much when I found him on the internet.

    Originally posted by Mikey_C
    It's actually got me more interested in the psychology of the groupies who seem to have been prepared to suffer all sorts of degradation just to 'get close to the stars'. I expect writers get them as well.
    I've heard a few stories about what the members of Zeppelin used to get up to and what they used to do to their groupies. It amazes me that the groupies went through with it. :?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by spaced_moorcock
      Originally posted by Mikey_C
      It's actually got me more interested in the psychology of the groupies who seem to have been prepared to suffer all sorts of degradation just to 'get close to the stars'. I expect writers get them as well.
      I've heard a few stories about what the members of Zeppelin used to get up to and what they used to do to their groupies. It amazes me that the groupies went through with it. :?
      Pamela des Barres' autobiography I'm with the Band is supposed to be the classic account of a groupie's life. It was recently reprinted in the US.

      A more UK-oriented account came from Jenny Fabian, a former girlfriend of Syd Barrett, who co-wrote Groupie (with Johnny Byrne), a semi-fictionalised account of her life as a groupie in 1969. She followed it up with A Chemical Romance in 1971, which recounted the celebrity status she experienced after the success of her first 'novel'. Groupie is available from Amazon UK.
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by spaced_moorcock
        Strange to think that I've been more productive in the three months that I've been single than in the three years that I had a girlfriend. Maybe the flustration could be aiding the creative process?
        I'm the same way - seems when I'm sad, lonely and misanthropic is when I'm most productive in my writing than having some chick at my side! Go figure. . . :D

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Azariel
          Originally posted by spaced_moorcock
          Strange to think that I've been more productive in the three months that I've been single than in the three years that I had a girlfriend. Maybe the flustration could be aiding the creative process?
          I'm the same way - seems when I'm sad, lonely and misanthropic is when I'm most productive in my writing than having some chick at my side! Go figure. . . :D
          It's mostly the same kind of reason why the Roman Catholic forbids its priests from getting married. The idea is that you're not able to devote yourself to one thing if you have other distractions or dependents in your life.
          _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
          _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
          _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
          _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Mikey_C
            It's actually got me more interested in the psychology of the groupies who seem to have been prepared to suffer all sorts of degradation just to 'get close to the stars'. I expect writers get them as well.
            Popular Culture Review is publishing an excellent article on minor league baseball groupies next month.

            The groupie mentality is fascinating. Many interesting motives: reflected glory, feeling a part of the process, and feeling like they can seduce a desirable person. Great stuff.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by demos99
              Pamela des Barres' autobiography I'm with the Band is supposed to be the classic account of a groupie's life. It was recently reprinted in the US.
              This is the classic. It makes Almost Famous seem quite tame.

              Comment

              Working...
              X