Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Politics and Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics and Art

To what degree do political situations provide material for your work?

Does the following represent something artists need to address?

http://www.rotwangsrobot.net/prototy...topic.php?t=26

I suppose it depends what you mean by "political", but many of my stories have been shaped by internal debates I was having while writing them concerning "issues". At the moment, I'm trying to be vaguely satirical about the "terrorist threat", but I doubt very much that I'm the next Orwell. Again, I'm not trying to be PC, or promote a conscious agenda, I'm just purging what has leaked into my brain during the days before I sat down to write. No doubt there is an agenda, but I'm too biased in its favour to notice. :)

As for this particular topic, the city I've created for my stories is verging on a police state as it is, so this story will feed into that, but probably not in a recognisable form. I was inspired by real events, rap songs and Oscar Wilde's play Vera, so I can't claim to be responding to the headlines as such. In many ways casting cops as villains is rather lazy... but it makes for great conflict if the "authorities" are against your protagonist from the very start.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

What they're doing sounds like something straight out of Crash City, if you ask me. I'd have thought they got the idea from Dee!
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

politics allows me a place to vent on my blog. i haven't found it to inspire me to something really good in a story or a poem, though.

Comment

Working...
        X