Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

LEtranger--help please with my studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Acht! It iz a zimple ting, my freund. You zee, it izt not in zee means uft der producktion, but it iz in zee art uft zee enlightenment-Dutch-civilization-stuff. Zee alineation uft zee modern artist. Zee individualism. Zee ecstasy of inspiration und creative expression...."

Comment

"Acht! But uft Koarse! Acht! Acht! Acht! But you can not mean! Ahct! Acht! Acht!"

Comment

"Aht! But I do, Max! Ve emust hold up VAN GOGH as zee zymbol uft zee enlightenment-Dutch-civilization-stuff." Henceforth, VINCENT VAN GOGH iz to be condemmed, und azlo all uft 'iz family! Zat iz our message, Max. Zat iz zee outcome uft our dialect wid out zee end!

Comment

WANTED!

FOR REPRESNETING MODERNIST COUNTER-REVOLUTIONARY TENDENCIES IN THE PUBLIC PORTRAYAL OF BEING AN ARTIST WHO THINKS HE CAN PAINT WHAT THE FUCK HE WANTS WITHOUT SOME BASTARD TELLING HIM WHAT TO DO

Comment

WANTED!

FOR ACTING LIKE SOME FOLLOWER OF THE SIXTEENTH-CENTURY THEOLOGIAN FAUSTUS SOCINUS, AND MOREOVER INFORMED WITH MANDATES FORMULATED BY MODERNIST RENEGADES LIKE JACOBUS ARMINIUS, JOHN MILTON, JOHN LOCKE, AND THOMAS JEFFERSON[/img]

Comment

ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!

Comment

PURE CRAP!

Comment

Whats the point of this thread?

P.S. Stary Night is among one of my favorite paintings, not crap :D

Comment

Re: LEtranger--help please with my studies

Originally posted by Carter Kaplan
                    LEtranger and friends:

I am afraid my German is not what it should be. I am looking into the Volksbuch, particularly tales it contains concerning Faust. All things Faust can be found here:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~esleben/faus...ronologie.html

Now, my query has to do especailly with the Volksbuch published in 1587 (English translation 1592, and what is clearly an antecedent to Marlowe's play.) Question: who was the author of the Volksbuch, and, in regards to Faust, does he perhaps have in mind not only the legends of some German magician(s) named Faust, but could he also be reacting to an Italian "Socian" theologian, Faustus Socinus, who was living and writing at that time (1539-1604)?

Socinus, as every schoolboy knows, denied the divinity of Christ and the claim that immortality was inherent to Man's nature. He was the direct father of the Unitarians, and exerted an influence on the Dutch Arminians (and thus on English Christian Independents/Early-Moderns such as Milton, Locke, Jonathan Mayhew, and Jefferson.)

Might the inclusion of the Faust story in the Volksbuch reflect Reformation politics? Is the Volksbuch author (perhaps in an effort to defend the Augustinian orthodoxy) alluding to Socinus?

Um, sort of a story challenge, too, if you like, people....
                    Carter, I don't know this ex tempore. I might be able to find out somethأ­ng before I travel for a few days from tonight on. Can't promise though, not my firmest terrain, so to speak. The knowledge of certain member of this forum who is in exile, to my repeated regret, would be helpful here, I'm sure.

And, Zero-Hero, thanks for ze beautiful paintings, pictures and texts. Maybe what you are saying is already an answer, the acceptance, however, is sort of mixed. If you have too many energies why not try a workout shop, or if you intend to raise your number of postings to become an EC by posting frantically one after the other, like other people have done, then you're waisting your time as long as you do it in the "guest status".
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

LEtranger:

Thanks. The 16th century was of course a crazy time for religion, and I am wondering how politics might have influenced the Volksbuch editor/author as he assembled the work.

Azariel: Far be it from me to speak for Zero, but I would venture to suggest the figure of Van Gogh is a monkey wrench in the Frankfurt school's anti-modernist program. Moreover, there is the fact that one of Van Gogh's decendents, a film maker, was recently murdered by religious extremists who, like the Franfurt school, also harbor resentment toward the enlightenment, and the western European culture of reason, liberty and free expression, which first emerged in fact in the Netherlands (see Arminius and Grotius), and was transplanted to England and America. Zero's piece might be regarded as a satire of post-modernism; i.e. the post-modernists are so-wacked out on theory and first principles, that Van Gogh is rejected as a degenerate modernist.

Zero: You took up the story challenge quite well. A sound and sober academic inquiry became the point of departure for a zany, energetic piece in your hands. Your energy, in fact, is rather suggestive of Van Gogh's brush strokes.

Comment

Azariel: Far be it from me to speak for Zero, but I would venture to suggest the figure of Van Gogh is a monkey wrench in the Frankfurt school's anti-modernist program. Moreover, there is the fact that one of Van Gogh's decendents, a film maker, was recently murdered by religious extremists who, like the Franfurt school, also harbor resentment toward the enlightenment, and the western European culture of reason, liberty and free expression, which first emerged in fact in the Netherlands (see Arminius and Grotius), and was transplanted to England and America. Zero's piece might be regarded as a satire of post-modernism; i.e. the post-modernists are so-wacked out on theory and first principles, that Van Gogh is rejected as a degenerate modernist.
                        Carter will now be teaching my theory classes... He seems to be far more eloquent than I. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Doc

Carter will now be teaching my theory classes... He seems to be far more eloquent than I. :D
                          Alas, I think I was too eloquent in my criticisms of postmodernism, cultural relativism, and culture studies back there in grad school, but at the same time I had golden hippie hair, played guitar like an angel, was cute in my bright blue jeans, and I had spent a year teaching in The Bronx--I had actually been to the laboratory of diversity they claimed to be so expert about--so they showed me mercy--they tucked me away safely in a hidden technical college where I would be unable to corrupt the children of the neo-liberal bourgeois. "Send Kaplan to live amongst the proles!" I seem to hear them say. Ah, but when I publish my many book-length manuscripts they will not be able to ignore me, and I will be advanced to that literature chair in the sky, and students from the four corners of the globe will sit at my feet to hear me sing (in ottva rima strains) of Grotius, Arminius and the beneficent splendor of Netherlandisch early modernism!

Comment

When you hold that Chair, are you growing your hippie hair and playing guitar again? :lol:

Comment

I have no idea what is goin on in this thread (sorry, I'm a little tired tonight and I've spent the past few hours catching up in Q&A so I've not had time to readi t properly) but I loved the way it started out with a question, only to be disrupted by an attack of zombies. Pure Genius in my current state. :)

Comment

Re: LEtranger--help please with my studies

LEtranger and friends:

I am afraid my German is not what it should be. I am looking into the Volksbuch, particularly tales it contains concerning Faust. All things Faust can be found here:

http://www.ucalgary.ca/~esleben/faus...ronologie.html

Now, my query has to do especailly with the Volksbuch published in 1587 (English translation 1592, and what is clearly an antecedent to Marlowe's play.) Question: who was the author of the Volksbuch, and, in regards to Faust, does he perhaps have in mind not only the legends of some German magician(s) named Faust, but could he also be reacting to an Italian "Socian" theologian, Faustus Socinus, who was living and writing at that time (1539-1604)?

Socinus, as every schoolboy knows, denied the divinity of Christ and the claim that immortality was inherent to Man's nature. He was the direct father of the Unitarians, and exerted an influence on the Dutch Arminians (and thus on English Christian Independents/Early-Moderns such as Milton, Locke, Jonathan Mayhew, and Jefferson.)

Might the inclusion of the Faust story in the Volksbuch reflect Reformation politics? Is the Volksbuch author (perhaps in an effort to defend the Augustinian orthodoxy) alluding to Socinus?

Um, sort of a story challenge, too, if you like, people....
                                It's not so much the Volksbuch, as a volksbuch (chapbook). In this case a piece of popular literature, 'Historia von Johann D. Fausten/Dem weitbeschreyten Zauberer und Schwartzkأ¼nstler'. The author was the very prolific, A. Nonymous and it was published in Frankfurt am Main by J. Spies, in 1587. It's supposed to be about a historical Dr John Faustus, who lived around 1480-1540 and it's a collection of tales, anecdotes and travelogue, similiar to the sort of thing that was circulated about Roger Bacon & Friar Bungay, Albertus Magnus, Michael Scott and the slightly more pagan Robin Goodfellow. Doctor Faustus was a more contemporary figure, clearly influenced by the Reformation and the new spirit of secular alchemical/neoPlatonical/humanistic and proto-scientific inquiry. They were all 'Dr Strange' style superheroes, or 'Mask' like Trickster figures, for their day.

That is a very interesting theory, about 'Faustus Socinus'. The chapbook might yet turn out to be a sly piece of 'papist' counter-Reformation satire and black propaganda. But, some people did enjoy an exciting yarn, with more than the slight reek of sulphur and brimstone. Marlowe, in his play, 'Doctor Faustus' (first performed around 1594), does seem to have been attacking a strong humanist and even pagan spirit in Elizabethan society. Dr John Dee, and Spencer's 'The Faerie Queene', may have been targets.

The book was translated into English by P.F. Gent as, 'The Historie of the Damnable Life and Deserved Death of Doctor John Faustus', published by Thomas Orwin, London, 1592. This became the basis for Marlowe's work.
                                Online version: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin...c=1999.03.0001

Basically, Faustus plays tricks and travels about a lot with Mephistopheles, becomes invisible and teases the Pope. These sorts of folktales, or 'mأ¤rchen' were very popular reading matter at the time, thanks to the explosion of printing around Northern Europe and the expansion of secular learning.

I don't know if that's much help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust
                                http://www.tabula-rasa.info/DarkAges/Faust.html
                                http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/faust.html
                                http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/f/faust.html

Comment

Working...
                                X