Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Group interactive story telling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group interactive story telling

I was wondering if Berry would like to start a new section of this forum for group interactive story telling.

Each story could start as one post. we all could pitch in to complete the stories. If we want to change something we wrote, we can always go back and edit the post.

We can draw pictures and upload them to complement the stories.

I don't know what would be a good name for the new section.

Has anyone else wanted to do this?

It's been tried before, but people seem to lose interest in it. But it's always worth trying again I think. Why not see how one thread goes and we'll see if it draws enough participation to warrant a new forum. But that's what this forum is for: art projects of many different sizes and activity.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

OK.

The only problem I see is that I (and maybe others) have a tendency to write multiple things at once, hence a seperate forum.

The idea would be to browse all the headings looking for an intriguing story title. Most of the stories started wouldn't wind up going anywhere. Maybe one or two out of twenty would actually get even close to completion. Kind of like a regular forum where most people start a thread and get one or two replies. Some topics stay active for months.

This may be a better idea for a wiki than a forum. After all, if I liked my original idea but someone added something I didn't like, I wouldn't be able to go back and edit out their post...

The problem with a wiki is that everyone can edit anything anywhere.

So I think this problem is going back to what you were suggesting with a DM/GM-less RPG. Hmmm.

Yours is a great suggestion if you have a group of like minded, cooperative and creative people who can handle group storytelling. Like a small band playing music.

Having one person as the final judge can be stifling, but not having a judge leads to multiple threads....

Aha! Hence, multiverse!

You are indeed clever, Mr Berry.

So the problem with a forum such as this is that there is only one thread. The problem with a wiki is that there is only one thread.

The only way to maintain the integrity of a community story is to allow for multiple threads.

This is very exciting because it innately allows for multiple endings and therefore can be strung together with decision nodes like a chose your own adventure if you wanted.

Even more novel - nodes can be arbitrarily routed into and out of each other and read with or without the decision choices.

I just discover something I've been looking around for for quite sometime which may be perfect for such a project:

http://www.oreas.com/gde_en.php

It's free and looks of excellent quality. I have not used it yet but I am very familiar with the standard array of graphing programs.

Now, getting a finalized story back into web form would be quite simple. If you only wanted a direct one thread stroy approach, just delete all the superflous nodes. If you wanted to make a chose your own adventure for the web, you'd covert it to qml (quest markup language).

I think we should install a subversion backend.

http://subversion.tigris.org/

This way we'll be sure not to lose anything. This would also add a third dimension to the graphing process.

Comment

!oops!

Comment

Okay, I've got one.

http://members.cox.net/montyc16/Twas_a_dark.gml

You can use either the progam I suggested or anything that edits gml OR I suppose if you know what you're doing, just use a text editor.

I'll have to study subversion unless you know how to set it up..

Hmm. Maybe subversion will be overkill right now, but if the story starts to get big, we may want to delete nodes from the forefront. I don't think GDE does 3d anyway (GML does tough anyway).

Everyone is welcome to participate. I'll cut and paste to a master file if need be.

Note, the file name is subject to change. If someone would like to add a root outside of this tree you're welcome to. Or maybe it's just easier to start a new file if a new root is needed unless you eventually plan on tying into the main story..

Comment

That sounds pretty interesting. A story probaly would be formed quickly with everyone adding something. At least the general idea would be out there. Once it gets off the ground someone would still have to make decision on what stays and what goes for it to have some order to it.

The ideas created for such a project would make a Chaos Lord happy, that's for sure. :D

I guess I don't have anything to add at this time, maybe I can feed off what others start writing then come up with something then. When participants feed off of what the other is writing, then is when I think his approach would really grow.

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Well, if anyone's interested in the project, I have a few first lines that never really caught on we can use as a springboard. Although, I''d suggest rules, like keeping to what POV, for example. But anyone is game, I'll start one.

Comment

Originally posted by Azariel
                Well, if anyone's interested in the project, I have a few first lines that never really caught on we can use as a springboard. Although, I''d suggest rules, like keeping to what POV, for example. But anyone is game, I'll start one.
                Hello Azariel! Start that thing up! We'll see where it goes, it might be a fun experiment. :)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                  Hello Azariel! Start that thing up! We'll see where it goes, it might be a fun experiment. :)
                  You wish is my command! The public has spoken... sorta :lol:

Comment

I forgot to add please...please...;)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

I forgot to add please...please...;)
                      Ah, who says gentry is lost on the modern man!

Comment

Hey gang,

I hope that I did not throw a wrench in the works on this project with the last part that I added to it. :oops:

Hi Azariel, interesting comments on your blog, getting a bit philosophical? You might become the warrior poet if you keep that up! :lol: :D

Good thoughts, it's nice to stay positive in all things. ;)

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

Hey gang,

I hope that I did not throw a wrench in the works on this project with the last part that I added to it. :oops:
                          I haven't really bween around to comment much, only like on or two post a day. Been trying to get bills payed and we all know how that is - but hopefully in the coming weeks (after xmas) I can returned to some normal sanity :D

Hi Azariel, interesting comments on your blog, getting a bit philosophical? You might become the warrior poet if you keep that up! :lol: :D

Good thoughts, it's nice to stay positive in all things. ;)
                          Are you refering to my quote here or my profile?

Comment

profile, but just happened to think of it when on here, next time I will post it there,hehe.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

profile, but just happened to think of it when on here, next time I will post it there,hehe.
                              h, ok. Yeah, currently revamping the whole thing - starting from scratch. Got a new "marble finish" for a background - very museum-esque :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X