Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

S&S: Wylde Journeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&S: Wylde Journeys

I think my story is in a fairly coherent state now, and can be found at the following address:

http://uk.geocities.com/deecrowseer/Dragon001.html

As ever, my punctuation is all over the place, and it's tricky juggling different languages and modes of speech, but hopefully it makes some sort of sense. I actually enjoyed playing with magic quite a bit, and it's interesting to try to flesh out non-human characters... I can't wait to try drawing (and colouring) the "hero", for reasons which should be quite apparent.

Those who've expressed a distaste for Buffy may not enjoy it so much, but it's there for the reading if anyone's curious. In a couple of days I'll go back and make some "cold light of day" revisions, and submit it to the proper authorities. :)

Cheers!

Edit: Bugger. It looks like someone beat me to the name "DragonPunk" (they even have it as their web address). I might have to go with my working title: The Wacky, Wacky Dragon Egg Scramble. :(
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Dee,

Do you want comment or applause?

I won't subject you to my reaction at all if you aren't interested. Much as I seem to be playing Petronius Arbiter to Perdix's Nero, telling people what I think is and is not effective isn't my job, so I won't do it without invitation.

LSN

Comment

LSN: You want answers?
      Dee: I think I'm entitled.
      Dee: I want the truth.
      LSN: You can't handle the truth!

No, I probably can't. If you decide not to print the revised version, then I will probably want to know how to improve it, but until then I'm just happy that I finished the story. It's much better than the script it came from, which at least proves that I'm improving as a writer. With a few more experience points, I might make it to the next armour class... then perhaps I'll be able to take undiluted critique. :)

Anyhoo, if there are ever any more stories, they'll be known as "Wylde Journeys", to save confusion with the other DragonPunk stuff. Shame, because I've been nursing that title for years, but it was silly of me to believe I was the only one who could think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
        Dee: I think I'm entitled.
        Dee: I want the truth.
        LSN: You can't handle the truth!

No, I probably can't. If you decide not to print the revised version, then I will probably want to know how to improve it, but until then I'm just happy that I finished the story. It's much better than the script it came from, which at least proves that I'm improving as a writer. With a few more experience points, I might make it to the next armour class... then perhaps I'll be able to take undiluted critique. :)
        While it is true that I am "challenged" in the charm department, it isn't my intention to beat you up about the story.

There are two levels of comment to which I subject all of these stories:

- technical and stylistic details
        - out-and-out criticism

I do the 2nd level only with people like Perdix, where I know he won't take it amiss. I do the first level with anyone who asks.

I have a few small quibbles in the first category with your story, but I think it has potential. However, since you seem reluctant to receive such comment, I won't impose it on you.

Anyhoo, if there are ever any more stories, they'll be known as "Wylde Journeys", to save confusion with the other DragonPunk stuff. Shame, because I've been nursing that title for years, but it was silly of me to believe I was the only one who could think of it.
        I actually like the new title better for a variety of reasons.

LSN

Comment

Sadly, in "the cold light of day", I realise that what I've produced is a decent sitcom adaptation, rather than a good story. The original concept for the sitcom was a Pratchett-esque cartoon, and I think perhaps that too many cartoon-y elements remained. But, having brought the "median" race into being (in the sitcom they were just bog-standard elves), and the reap-child (originally just an assassin/thief), I'd rather like to keep them around... they just need a better story to go into.

To be honest the "quest" to find her father would probably have been a better journey to follow in the first place. :(

Still, can't be perfect first time out on the ice, as it were.

Comment

Hello Dee,

I don't know too much about the structure of things as you all know, but I did get drawn in as soon as the median entered the tavern.

I really liked that you did event a new race, I often complained to my friends that there is not enough variety in science fiction and fantasy stories and shows. Races either are the usual alien-humanoid types or in fantasy they are the elves,dwarves and other common types. Those are fine too, but it is very refreshing to see somthing new, especially one that changes colour when they blush. :clap:

what do you do when you're branded....and now you're a median...hehe

(now I sound like an old tv show)

That was pretty cool, a good way to get the character motivated. The reap seems neat too.

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
            - Michael Moorcock

Comment

I liked it, and the characters do seem to be very Buffy/Angel-ish. In fact it reads like a television program and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's definitely a unique slant on on S&S (unique for S&S unless you consider the abysmal Xena program as good television). I think for it to ring of S&S more and retain its experimental approach, the modern tele lingo would best be substituted with a more poetic tone. Then it wouldn't be this piece any more, so, in principle I'm against any changes. I enjoyed reading it very much and can't wait for it's continuance.
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by DCS
                (in the sitcom they were just bog-standard elves)
                What a great idea: "bog elves." I have grown weary over the decades with D&D-inspired "Silvan Elves," "Sea Elves" / "Sindar Elves" and "High Elves." What we need are a bunch of bloody "Bog Elves," and I think they've not died off, disappeared into "the West," or gone the place those pink elephants go after overindulgence in fusil oil-laden alcoholic beverages.

The "Bog Elves" have simply decided to blend into the fabric of modern society and practice their secret arts and crafts out of the public eye. Have you never wondered where sewer workers and the like come from? Ever wonder who invented the extreme sport "bog snorkeling"? It becomes clear. They're very nearly invisible in other respects, except when they get elected to high public office and turn one's country into a cesspool.

LSN

Comment

I found myself wondering why Dee didn't try to graft this story onto his Crash City series. It would be an interesting change of pace, certainly if some of the things were "rationalized" in a quasi-scientific sort of way (without much explanation or exposition).

I have serious qualms about calling the locale "Pratchcock," but that's Dee's choice.

LSN

Comment

Hello Dee,

Thanks for the reply about your characters, that was prety cool. I saw it before the Grey Fees swallowed it up. :)

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

Originally posted by lemec
                      Thanks for the reply about your characters, that was prety cool. I saw it before the Grey Fees swallowed it up. :)
                      We also seem to have lost your post, which I was replying to!

So, I... er, forget what I said. But it went something a bit like:

At first I was a little disappointed with what I'd written, wishing I could be a bit darker and stranger, but then I saw lemec and Berry's posts and decided not to scrap the whole thing. Aside from that, there's also the fact that these characters could be really fun to draw (and colour!). And when I see the title written down, it seems like it could be something. I just don't know what.

There is a reason why the dialogue and society is so seemingly "modern", and there is a reason why they use magic the way they do... but this reason wouldn't become apparent until the third of fourth novel (in theory), so I'm not sure how reassuring that is. I have a lot of background stuff for the universe figured out, but only because I'm drawing on years of role-play gaming "experience"... really it's just joining the dots.

Although I do have very serious ideas about the mythos and motivations behind everything, I came to the conclusion that if I were to try to write more "serious" S&S, I'd flounder. I don't really care for swords and combat and all of the meaty goodness that fans of the genre might reasonably expect. I like "issues" and puns and cool costumes. So, I'm hoping to start my own genre: Swords & Sorcery & Sitcom! :)

There's no reason why it can't get darker from time to time though. Any journey will have its high and low points... and, as I said in reply to lemec's missing post, reactions will vary among the different people they encounter. Pook won't cause everyone to go into a coma when they see her, because that would really hinder their progress!

Oh, and the name "Pratchcock" will be changed, once I figure out a consistent city-naming policy. I have to have a think about my mythos, and how everything would have been named... although the name of the bank will have to start with "X", because that brand mark is a White Zombie reference, and therefore scared.

The page seems to be getting quite a few hits, so thanks to everyone who's taken a look.

PS. I believe the original post contained the phrase: "myth-kitty melting pot"

Comment

Spent much of today trying to water-proof my window, and clean the house, but also thinking very deeply and seriously about the world of "Wylde Journeys". The concept I've come up with allows a lot of room for inconsistency between the various cities and "monsters" they encounter, and I'm satisfied that this concept holds water... but from the reader's perspective it might just seem to be a leaky brain at work. Now I feel as if I want to write how ever many stories it will take to unravel this thing, but then it will probably seem rather anti-climactic and silly.

Either way, I think I've got a good enough grasp on it all to write some more... although a few tiny tweaks will need to be made to the first story, since a few "facts" have changed.

Of course, there's nothing hugely original about my ideas, but hopefully I'll put everything together in a way that some readers might enjoy. :)

Comment

If you examine the characters closely, and reveal their interesting peculiarities -- properties possessed by everyone -- it will be original and interesting enough.

LSN

Comment

Re: S&S: Wylde Journeys

Edit: Bugger. It looks like someone beat me to the name "DragonPunk" (they even have it as their web address). I might have to go with my working title: The Wacky, Wacky Dragon Egg Scramble. :(
                            How about (to paraphrase Oz's monkey pants jibe) 'I mock you with my Dragon Punk.' How about parodying the Dragon Punk genre before it's even been established by having a Punk Dragon, like Acid Viscious, with a luminous green mohican and a bad ass attitude make an appearance. OK, wierd idea, scrap that one.

I enjoyed your idiosyncratic assay into S&S teritory Dee. I too noted the Buffyesque/sitcom influence and some Pratchetian style humour and characterisation in the mix, so I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the jigsaw of your world take shape.

Hope part 2 is ready soon, but don't forget, in common with contamporary taste, it's going to need three novels to get to the next city or none of the big publishing houses will touch it. :)

Comment

So, I'm hoping to start my own genre: Swords & Sorcery & Sitcom! :)

There's no reason why it can't get darker from time to time though.
                              Nice idea. Sitcom and Sorcery's got a good ring to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X