Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Prototype X - 1.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Perdix

Calibrate me, folks!
    Why not ask Mike?

Later....

I did so, here:

[broken link]
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Yes, I see your point, CK. I'm not averse to the principle, per se, and I can see the advantages - buuuuuut....hmmm, there's just something amorphous and preternaturally aversive in me that reacts to the idea...

Calibrate me, folks!
      If the group would allow me to pop in for a moment, I'd like to give Perdix a word of encouragement to go with his gut. From what I can tell reading about this Prototype X thingie, it's a solid community project but definitely Perdix's brainchild and something he seems to have been rolling around in his head long before he ever mentioned it here.

From what I've seen, Perdix, you are a very amicable and generous fellow and I doubt you are in need of much calibration. Getting people like Mr. Moorcock and Mr. Jones to write stories for your book was brilliant; getting them to say nice things for you to put on the cover does indeed sound very fanboyish to me.

It all comes down to what you're willing to do to fund the thing, I guess. Shame to go a direction you didn't want it to go just to be able to fund it.

Feel free take my comments with the same size grain of salt you would with any Moonbeam Traveller. :D

Comment

Thankyou for the kind words and sound advice, Elphaba! Much appreciated.

Although I 'kicked off' the PX project, it certainly is a 'joint effort', and many of the 'coups' such as the contributions from MM and LJ, and the work on possible distribution, were instigated by other members of the group, notably LSN, CK, DCS, BS, etc...I try to incorporate the ideas and aspirations of as many of us as possible, but, as with any business or project, I have 'discovered' that a single 'direction-decision' person is essential if the project is to succeed. Thus any rejection or deferment of ideas and suggestions from others is impersonal and based purely on the basic philosophy of the publication, as I see it (or feel it, viscerally, to underline your comment!).

MM's 'Barmy Dictator' concept is, particularly where a 'creative' or 'artistic' project is concerned, probably the only really effective way to progress: an attempt to make PX all things to all contributors would indeed create a mess... :|

Comment

And I do have great reservations about any compromising or loss of 'integrity' that could accompany moves to seek wider distribution, or to create a sounder financial footing.

Comment

Originally posted by Elphaba
            getting them to say nice things for you to put on the cover does indeed sound very fanboyish to me.
            I agree, but that's not really the purpose of a board of editorial advisors.

The paractice is standard with refereed academic journals, and with up-market literary journals such as, for example, the Paris Review. The "advisors" so-called are often (if not primarily) the people who help the editor referee the articles, and as in all things the editor can use their responses in what ever way he or she sees fit. Also, the advisors may have been people who had worked as editors on the journal in the past, people who had a hand in shaping the "vision" of the journal as it was developed, people who are leading scholars in the field(s) the journal covers, and people who are the journal's benefactors--that is, people who have given the journal support, grant writers, people who throw helpful parties, and so on.

All the above being equal, the purpose of the board would be to give Napoleon--I mean Perdix--another tool for promoting the magazine through cultivating and cementing helpful contacts, enhanicing the reputation and the clout of the magazine, increasing the number of people thinking and talking about the magazine, landing grant money, and amassing power, power, POWER!

Comment

MM's 'Barmy Dictator' concept is, particularly where a 'creative' or 'artistic' project is concerned, probably the only really effective way to progress
              This is definately the way to go. My two cents.

And I do have great reservations about any compromising or loss of 'integrity' that could accompany moves to seek wider distribution, or to create a sounder financial footing.
              See above. And above. The point is, a board could be a tool for your use, to advance your purposes. Really, I don't want to advocate one way or the other, but I do want to describe the tool, for my own understanding if nothing else. And I like to type. :)

Comment

Ah, yes, if used in the academic journal sense, then I do concur with its value...I was rather thinking you meant a different sort of Ed. Board. My misinterpretation. :oops: I think it has points of interest, but probably at a slightly later stage in PX's evolution. We'll keep it in mind, for sure.

Comment

Perdix,

Do you have room for about 1,000 SOC in 1.1? If so, I'm ready to proceed.
                  The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Yep! :P

Comment

Hi Darren,
                      Let me know if you want me to get any copies of anything you produce and try them in my store. I would just need to know how of the mags you have spare to send me and at what price. Then I can send you the money like I did for my copy of the first mag.

Ken
                      Ken Boorman
                      Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Thanks, Ken! You are at the top of the list for the reprints - as soon as I do them. I'll mail you as soon as they're ready!

Comment

The possibility of POD production of PX-1.1 in the U.S. might make it easier to get copies to people like Ken.

LSN

Comment

Perdix,

What form factor are we going with for PX-1.1? The same as for PX-1 (A4)?

The form factors available for books from POD houses look to be somewhat different from A4. :-] I'll check about these form factors and post some possibilities -- just in case we decide to go that way. If so, we might be forced to reformat PX-1.1. Now is a good time to plan it if we think we might do this.

LSN

Comment

The commonly used American form factor closest to A4 is (of course) the notorious 8,5x11. Using Lulu.com's "book calculator" with this form factor, and specifying B&W, perfect binding, and 200 pages (just instance) we see the cost of $8.54 per copy. If we specified (for example) a $2.00 royalty fee to be paid to Mustard Lid Press, that would yield a cost per book of $10.54 to the customer. Obviously, there is a shipping fee, but in the U.S. that would be book rate, which is pretty cheap.

On that basis, some sort of POD looks (at least) feasible. We would need to do the page layout such that it could be cleanly reformatted from A4 (for UK) to 8,5x11. It is pretty easy, I'll wager, if the original formating of PX-1.1 is similar to that used for PX-1.

This is a thought-experiment, mind you. I have no certainty that we'll proceed this way. It looks doable, however.

LSN

Comment

I note in passing that Amazon.com has started advertising a similar capability through something called "booksurge.com". I do not know if it has the required pricing, distribution, and flexibility of other, comparable POD companies.

I'm sure Perdix would like each copy to have gilt edges, be printed on vellum, and with leather covers. However, the production cost for such an artifact makes it seem a bit problematic for large scale production.

LSN

Comment

Working...
                                X