Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The boss found your short story on your desk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The boss found your short story on your desk

and thinks two things:

1) They'd better be writing this at lunch. And

2) ?

What would he or she think about what you wrote? My boss would probably think I was a little weird and read onnnne too many Conan stories! ;)

You?

I don't think my patron can read.

LSN

Comment

Curiously, I have a story on my desk right now. It's a 27 pager that Perdix sent me this afternoon. I don't think I could convince anyone that it's a math journal reprint. Fortunately, no one looks at the stuff on my desk. Not even me. :lol:

LSN

Comment

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you LSN...no one looks at my desk. Which is convenient when I'm sketching or brainstorming story ideas. If my boss found a short story on my desk and actually read it...hmm...I think he'd check to make sure I didn't write it on company time, then brush it off as one of my little eccentricities.
        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Luckily I can justify nearly anything on my desk to be part of a research. we are supposed to look into a million aspects of life.
          Google ergo sum

Comment

My boss would encourage me and want to read it.

Feel free to throw up.

Comment

My boss would most likely say, "Gee, is this something I ought to read? Will I get anything out of it?"

To which I would answer, "No." Then I'd pat him on the head, give him a puppy biscuit, and send him on his way to his next meeting. :lol:

I'm often somewhat older and more experienced than the person to whom I report these days. (A lot of people burn out at 40 or so in my profession.) With superannuation comes a certain amount of wary respect, I've found.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg

To which I would answer, "No." Then I'd pat him on the head, give him a puppy biscuit, and send him on his way to his next meeting. :lol:
                Actually, this sounds like an interesting story premise... :D

Comment

You assume I have a desk.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                    Originally posted by LSN

Okay, feel free. It's yours.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by manmiles
                      We assumed you were simply on the beach.

"Hold all calls," manmiles informed his executive assistent via satellite phone, then leaned back in his deck chair and propped up his feet. He regarded the dozen or so scantily clad beauties as they played naughty games on the beach, the exertion from which left them breathing deeply, giving evidence of vibrant good health, and prodding him to scientific speculations of a biological nature which would doubtless call for future experiment and investigation. . .

LSN

Comment

I should add that I've sworn off further stories about high tech work environments. As was pointed out about the story I wrote of such places, "Per aspera ad astra," the characters and their concerns seem mundane and not very interesting to some readers.

LSN

Originally posted by LSN
                        Originally posted by Doc
                        Originally posted by LSN

Okay, feel free. It's yours.

Comment

I am the boss... :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                            Originally posted by manmiles
                            We assumed you were simply on the beach.

"Hold all calls," manmiles informed his executive assistent via satellite phone, then leaned back in his deck chair and propped up his feet. He regarded the dozen or so scantily clad beauties as they played naughty games on the beach, the exertion from which left them breathing deeply, giving evidence of vibrant good health, and prodding him to scientific speculations of a biological nature which would doubtless call for future experiment and investigation. . .

LSN
                            HA!

I wish...

Comment

If my boss found my work, I'd be commited :D

Comment

Working...
                              X