Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Death of the star daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of the star daughter

I just thought I'd take a moment (not that I have a moment at the moment)
    to heap praise on the "Death of the star daughter" article in PX.

James fullerton really shows how to make factual writing interesting with this piece. I was on the edge of my seat as the Shenandoah's commander tried each desperate gambit to bring the vessel back under control I also learned a lot that I did not know about rigid dirigibles in the process.

Anyway, well done to Mr Fullerton, and all the other writers and that partridge chappie too!

Lets have more cognitive fact in the the next prototype!
    \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Very kind words, MA-19! I shall pass on your appreciation to Mr Fullerton (I think he might be sulking as I credited him as 'Fullerlove' in the 'Contents' page - I'd been watching too much Quatermass [in which there is a reporter character called 'Fullalove' - see, I can't even spell the errors correctly! Some Sheditor, me...:-)).
    The Shenandoah incident is certainly incredible and hair-raising stuff. We'd love to see more factual pieces along similar lines for future PX's!

Comment

That was a good essay. We've gotten very little in the way of comment on the essays in Prototype X.

Perdix and I are hatching a plan for at least ONE essay in PX-1.1, but we'll have to see what comes of it.

LSN

Comment

The piece was great, indeed. Looking forward to more factual pieces, but I would also like to see some fiction from Mr. fullerton. He can obviously handle storytelling like some of us (namely, me) wish we did.

Comment

I passed your appreciation on, MA-19 and Mordenkainen. James replies (aftr much thanks and surprise) that the incident was well-documented, and he feels he cannot take too much credit for the 'storytelling'. But says 'thanks!' anyway, and is in fact working on some fictional pieces now.

Comment

I was similiarly riveted.
            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

In my opinion the opening illustration should have included crewmen falling from the broken gondola, but this was vetoed, I think, by Mr. Fullerton's grandma, who thought the suggestion tasteless. Ahem. Here let me state that my suggestion was motivated solely by a desire that the horror of the crewmen be properly (and honorably) documented. :(

But it is a very good piece, nothwithstanding, and I have thought from time to time that such articles, informed as they are by the sub-theme of technological evolution and experiment (airships, land ironclads, etc.), very neatly complement the literary experiment that consititutes the main substance of the magazine.

Anyway, yes, the phenomenon of the non-fiction article, particulary reflecting in some way on the experimental evolution of technology or the evolution of ideas, is a feature (and a theme) that P-X should seek to cultivate.

Comment

Carter? Would you be interested in contributing an essay?

I realize that fiction is your chosen metier, but on the basis of your book, I believe we could get something pretty interesting if you are willing.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                  Carter? Would you be interested in contributing an essay?

LSN

Thinking Cap On!

Comment

Good. That's the reaction I hoped we'd get.

LSN

Comment

We could give PX thinking caps with the next 100 issues...
                      People like goodies, esp. useful ones.

Comment

Are you in charge of concessions, mordenkainen?

LSN

Comment

Working...
                        X