Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Story Challenge - Robo Prez

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Story Challenge - Robo Prez

    You've heard of Robo Cop. Prepare to meet Robo Prez.

    You may think I'm joking - I say it's only a matter of time!

    Robo Prez.

    <Sorry, story deleted. GM>

    Coming soon (perhaps...) Chapter 2 - Antithesis
    Last edited by Grey Mouser; 07-04-2008, 03:37 PM. Reason: Well past it's sell-by date. :-)

  • #2
    Interesting initial salvo, Mouser. I predict it'll be in 3 parts, with the concluding section called "synthesis." It appears someone has been reading Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.

    LSN

    Comment


    • #3
      You are correct LSN. Perhaps I'm taking the Hegelian dialectic a little too literally as a structural model. :)

      Comment


      • #4
        Nothing wrong with using it. It's a time-honored approach, and it can lead to some interesting results. Go for it.

        LSN

        Comment


        • #5
          You stole me idea!

          That of a robot running for President...ahem...

          Comment


          • #6
            I presume you're jesting manmiles since I've not seen any stuff about your tale.

            But if not, perhps a case of parallel concept evolution? It would be interesting to see how you approach the idea.

            My own angle is to try a bit of wildly exaggerated satire on the corporate zeitgeist, but I'm feeling increasingly uncomfortable with with a jokey approach towards this subject matter as the reality underlying it (corporate manipulation of politics and exploitation of the 3rd world workforce) is so serious. Perhaps what I'm writing would be better abbreviated into a Spitting Images parody style comedy sketch. Or approached as more serious fiction. Needless to say I probably lack the skill, knowledge, and genuineness of character, to carry off either approach.

            Comment


            • #7
              A splendid idea Grey Mouser! Very cool, it will be fun to see it when done. :)

              "With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
              - Michael Moorcock

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks Lemec. :)

                Of course, the idea of a president who is so much of a corporate crony that he may as well be a corporate controlled robot doesn't seem so far from where we are now to many. But the term 'Robo Prez' makes me chuckle just about every time I think of it. I guess I'm easily amused. :roll:

                Comment


                • #9
                  You're welcome Grey Mouser, it made me think of that box shape the president had in his jacket during that one debate, hehe.

                  I thoroughly enjoyed the pre-programed answers "Robo Prez" has.

                  The story has a cool setting as well.

                  "With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
                  - Michael Moorcock

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the encouragement lemec.

                    I've gone back and added a chunk to part 2 of chapter one called The Smart Grenade. Well, you've heard of smart bombs, but that's really a name for more sophisticated dumb bombs. I was thinking if a bomb/grenade was really smart it might be more like this one...

                    I'd better admit I was heavily under the influence of the 'talking bombs' idea from Dark Star for that bit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is jolly fine stuff, Grey Mouser. The smart grenade is a great idea. And the Robo-Prez is perfect. I'm looking forward to the rest of this.

                      About the tone for the satire - the jokey tone works well, I think, especially for the Prez's auto-responses. This sort of dark but downright hilarious satire reminds me a bit of Aldiss. I like it! :)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                        I presume you're jesting manmiles since I've not seen any stuff about your tale.

                        But if not, perhps a case of parallel concept evolution? It would be interesting to see how you approach the idea.

                        My own angle is to try a bit of wildly exaggerated satire on the corporate zeitgeist, but I'm feeling increasingly uncomfortable with with a jokey approach towards this subject matter as the reality underlying it (corporate manipulation of politics and exploitation of the 3rd world workforce) is so serious. Perhaps what I'm writing would be better abbreviated into a Spitting Images parody style comedy sketch. Or approached as more serious fiction. Needless to say I probably lack the skill, knowledge, and genuineness of character, to carry off either approach.
                        Not in terms of the Story Challenge, but I have had the idea of a Robot running for Presidency before.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by manmiles
                          Not in terms of the Story Challenge, but I have had the idea of a Robot running for Presidency before.
                          Manmiles, I'm just using the idea for this quick one off short for the enclave as it seemed to capture a little of the current corporate-political zeitgeist. This is the only place where I anticipate my version of a Robo Prez ever appearing. There's no reason why you can't still use the idea for whatever project you had planned.

                          Originally posted by CandyFlossCow
                          This is jolly fine stuff, Grey Mouser. The smart grenade is a great idea. And the Robo-Prez is perfect. I'm looking forward to the rest of this.

                          About the tone for the satire - the jokey tone works well, I think, especially for the Prez's auto-responses. This sort of dark but downright hilarious satire reminds me a bit of Aldiss. I like it! :)
                          Thanks for your encouragement and kind comments CFC. Gave my ego a big boost and helped me get an external perspective. Hope you have time to work on your own stuff too. :)

                          Part 4 of nine is now written and I'll get chapter 2 up hopefully by tommorow.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here's the next bit, with a change of tone and pace...

                            CandyFlossCow, Lemec and Manmiles, if you're still following this I might need to break my temporary reading ban because it's taking me longer than I thought to write this, and I'm really curious to see what you've all been up to.

                            <Story deleted. GM>

                            ******************************

                            Next (hopefully) - Chapter 3 - Synthesis.
                            Last edited by Grey Mouser; 07-04-2008, 03:43 PM. Reason: Past sell-by date

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                              Originally posted by manmiles
                              Not in terms of the Story Challenge, but I have had the idea of a Robot running for Presidency before.
                              Manmiles, I'm just using the idea for this quick one off short for the enclave as it seemed to capture a little of the current corporate-political zeitgeist. This is the only place where I anticipate my version of a Robo Prez ever appearing. There's no reason why you can't still use the idea for whatever project you had planned.
                              Sorry, I have a bit of a habit of appearing uppity and pretenteous on-line. I'm not using a Robo-Prez for my idea and I apologise for any offence I may have caused. Peace?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X