Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

PROTOTYPE X-3: THE PERFORMANCE -EXHIBITION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad confession time:

I've already experimented with an iron-on printer T-shirt transfer of PX1's cover and one each of Dee's and TM's illustrations. Not bad!

Really sad confession time:

I mocked up a picture of what my electric blue Mazda MX5 (Miata, for those in the US) would look like with large white 'Prototype-X' lettering text-wrapped to the bodywork down both sides. Fucking ludicrous, as I'm sure you can imagine. I deleted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
      I deleted it.
      A ha! Remember that that pesky 'Delete' key doesn't really delete anything, it just instructs the PC to forget where it stored it. To truly delete a computer file you need to have the disk re-formatted in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as a firelighter. (That or drill a bloody big hole in it. (Preferably several big holes.))

We'll be sending someone round later to conficate your PC so we can all have a good laugh down the pub. ;)
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

An alternative to demos99's rather involved disc erasure process is by using a bit of software whose name escapes me at the moment. What it does is write the entire disc with 1's, then goes back and does 0's, then 1's, then 0's over and over and over and over. This is just as effective as demos99's method, with the advantage of being able to re-format the disc afterward and re-use it!

Oh, and we do have MX-5's in the US, they are a sub-branch or specific model of the Miata. Similar to how most cars in America has "editions" such as "LX," "DX," "GT," etc. I personally drive a Mazda MP3 (a limited edition Protege).
        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix, Great Khan of the Prototype Steppes
          Boney only lost because he had a sore bottom. And les anglaises always seem to forget the result was pretty much down to the timely arrival of Blucher's Prussians...'Night or the Prussians' is an expression I frequently use to my staff during time-dependent touch-and-go surgery. I have to explain it every time. European history doesn't feature very highly on the Vet Nursing course...
          L'Empereur lost for a variety of reasons. The "haemorrhoids excuse" is often brought up, but (I cite Chandler here) the fact is, he was past his prime as a commander by the time of Waterloo, and clearly had been for a number of years. He made mistakes that he did not make in past times. Think of his unwillingness to commit his reserves....

Wellington did a good job with what he had, too. Let's not run down his tactics, which were well-suited to the opponent.

Originally posted by Perdix Imperator

LSN: your wife can certainly exhibit, and sell if she so wishes. I don't think we'll have a paucity of artwork; we may even have to 'cycle' stuff! Please do come (he says in his best Lord Henry Wotton voice).
          I'll see what I must do. Maybe.

LSN

Comment

EverKing's comments about international travel costs are pretty accurate. In truth, it costs me less to travel to Paris than it does to make a trip to the American outback to visit my wife's relatives. The costs in the U.S. for air travel are quite variable depending on the destination.

As for lodgings in the UK, there are bed & breakfast places that are relatively inexpensive. The cost adds up when you eat at restaurants a lot, of course.

My own experience in London is that I like to be comfortable rather than go cheap. But if you are strapped for cash, there are places that might be workable if not elegant.

I can see it how it will be: people will be pitching their pup tents in Perdix's holiday camp / back yard, the shed being already taken by his printer's drudges.

Driving in the UK takes some getting used to if you are accustomed to the U.S. or the continent.

LSN

Comment

Although many people in the UK now decide it's OK to drive on whichever side of the road they fancy at the time....

Apparently, L'empereur also had chronic cystitis (according to the post-mortem) which probably bothered him at Waterloo. Poor chap! Caught in a two-front conflict, as it were. You can imagine the scenario:

Ney (gallops up): Vive l'empereur! Regard zis map: you muss a'vance z' artill'rie!
              NB: Pardon, Marechal: I cannot zit dahn and regard annyzing until my cuzzions arrive.
              Soult (gallops up): Vive l'empereur! We muss commit la masse de manouevre!
              NB: 'Ang on un moment, I need a wee.
              etc.

Not exactly La Belle Alliance...

There are many hostelries in my area, both 'budget' - not at all bad, though - and more luxurious. Alas, my Victorian semi ('Half a house' as an American friend calls it accurately) has but one spare room (as well as the shed) so I'm a bit limited on the accom's. Lots of B&B's, though booking well in advance is usually necessary. There are plenty of good hotels in Richmond, Weybridge, Chobham, Esher that are very close to the venue. Most of them do special rates for advance bookings, weekends, etc. And there's always the central London hotels, too - only a short hop away.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                Although many people in the UK now decide it's OK to drive on whichever side of the road they fancy at the time.....
                I understand it's an experiment with getting UK drivers to drive on the right rather than the left. It's a big, BIG adjustment, so they don't want to do it all at once.

So for the first year, they'll just have the lorries drive on the right, and everyone else on the left.

LSN

Comment

That's just so true. Ask any cyclist.

Good news: turns out the hire rate for RHB's performance space is آ£60 for the whole 4 & 1/2 hours! Bargain!

Do we have any of the following in our midst:

- Theatre lighting types

- Sound engineers (live and pre-recorded elements)

? I've done a little bit of such things, but we need Pro's for this, ideally...

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                    As for lodgings in the UK, there are bed & breakfast places that are relatively inexpensive. The cost adds up when you eat at restaurants a lot, of course.

LSN
                    I think it will be tents for me and the band Of course, unless we have our tour bus by then, or are multimillionares. Neither of those being very likely.
                    As to sound engineers, the father of the guitarist in my band is good, though he mainly does it for classical events. He has helped us setting up most of our gigs. Really not sure how he would feel about a trip to London though! I also know a bit about sound, but as Perdix says, its best to leave it to the pros lest something go wrong.
                    I do have good software for mixing music though.

Comment

Come to think of it, it might actually be worth hiring a professional sound engineer for the live part, unless we have anyone really good at it in our midst. Ah, organising concerts, how fun it is!

Comment

I agree, I think it is worth the extra money to get a professional Production company. I've worked with both light and sound both when I was in Las Vegas and with my current job...I've set up for various kinds of shows ranging from motivational seminars to raves, but I would hardly say I'm a pro. Besides, there is still the matter of getting the equipment.
                        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Much of the equipment is in situ already.
                          Plus, where is the money going to come from to hire a 'Professional Production Company'? The thing is, we are the production company! That's really the point. The (probably) two nights will consist of a rotation of film, readings, music. W'll need to have some rehearsal time, so I can't see us being able to afford to engage external help on this, hence the requests!

Comment

Well, if you're not looking for an MGM Grand-esque set-up I'm certain those of us here with experience can handle it. I mean, if we're talking about a set up for a projector, microphone(s), and simple stage lighting it's all pretty easy. I'd be happy to help out in any way I can.
                            --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

This sound like a cracking idea! I'd definitely be there. :D

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to help?

Comment

Sounds good! Cheers! :P I'm off to book the venue soon, and I'll check out what is there and what we might need to import...

Comment

Working...
                                X