Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Secret Identities and Public Faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Identities and Public Faces

Originally posted by Kommando
    Heh - cool. Its all looking very nice now. The whole Chaos Engineer title is pretty cool as well. Now if only I had something to moderate. :lol: I'm sure inspiration will hit, probably around the next time Ian posts something.
    Congratulations on becoming a Chaos Engineer Kommando. Is that the real you in your avatar? You look a lot like an old friend of mine. :)

Yeah - that's the real me. Here's a better look.

Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Those of you who use your real photographs (and in some cases, real names) strike me as brave or unusual. For me, I need the mask to be able to post freely, unencumbered by thoughts of possible repercussions in the "real" world.

You guys might think, "What could happen?" I can speak from personal experience that you never know who might be reading a public forum on the web. I am forced to deal with a large cross-section of people in my work. I don't need the grief of being "recognised." It has happened in other venues. The mask fits well, fortunately. :lol:

LSN

Comment

Are you going all Secret Squirrel on us LSN? And is Perdix the Morrocco Mole to your SS, a mystery shrouded in an enigma in a wrapping with 'tasty chocolate bagel' written on it. Your sunglasses, false moustache, and raincoat full of gadgets are in the mail. :lol:

Comment

:lol:

I've always been incognito here. You, L'Etranger, and Perdix know my real name. That's about it. None of you work in my industry, so I felt I was still incognito. Then I discovered that L'Etranger's family might have known my grandpأ¨re in Paris circa 1960.

There goes the old incognito. :oops:

LSN

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
          Are you going all Secret Squirrel on us LSN? And is Perdix the Morrocco Mole to your SS, a mystery shrouded in an enigma in a wrapping with 'tasty chocolate bagel' written on it. Your sunglasses, false moustache, and raincoat full of gadgets are in the mail. :lol:

Comment

> Exotic, nasally-pitched, highly-sentient and articulate French North African visually-compromised Burrowing Mammal Voice<

'Aah! Si'kret Skwirl! Zose peskie corr'sponnents off ze Wikly Missle-knee off Muhr-kok, zey bleur ah si'kret coffer! Kweek! Yuss eur speshall divisses fur too deafit zem!'

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
              > Exotic, nasally-pitched, highly-sentient and articulate French North African visually-compromised Burrowing Mammal Voice<
              You left out "fez-adorned." :P
              "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
              --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                You, L'Etranger, and Perdix know my real name. That's about it.
                Oh, well, fine. I see how it is. :lol:

For my own part, I've never felt a need to hide from anyone and, as most of you well know, I'm not squeamish about speaking my mind. I avoid publishing my address and phone number for obvious reasons, but if someone who'd read what I'd written in a forum saw me on the street, it wouldn't faze me since I'd say the same things in a public forum that I say here.

And since, for the most part, morons and simpletons avoid this site, I'm not too worried about running into Cletus Onetooth who don't take kindly to my lib'ral way of thinkin'.

That said, I completely understand those who appreciate the anonymity of the web. I don't need to know your real name, LSN; you don't owe me money (I'll let the busted up kendo sword slide :D). We can get along just fine any-hoo! That's what I love about the 'net. Surface distractions are stripped away, allowing for freer conversation and debate.

Hmmm, "freer" is one of those words that just doesn't look right...

Comment

Yeah - I'm not all that concerned about people recognizing me. Calgary isn't exactly a hotbed of Moorcock fans, and none of them are as well-read as myself. The only ones who would really be familiar, the bookstore owners, already know me. So I don't worry about it. I have yet to be recognized from an internet pic by someone I hadn't intended to recognize me.
                  Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

I work around the edges, and sometimes IN an area of human endeavor where people actually use computers quite regularly, and search engines by the hour when they want to know anything.

A large number of them are also apparently specimens of primitive man -- homo sapiens neanderthalensis, at least -- who would regard anyone who posts on such a forum as fundamentally unreliable. Let's not even talk about security clearances and such things. If I'm considered unreliable, I won't get contract jobs. I'd like to be able to continue working regularly until I am ready to retire.

So anonymity I regard as a necessity here. I don't mind people knowing my name (send me e-mail, Kirk, if you REALLY want to know), but putting it on the site would be bad for professional reasons. Similarly, the e-mail address is specially constructed for the purpose of communicating with people on this site.

LSN

Comment

I find there's a certain levity in not knowing too much about everybody, and that's very welcome. Also it is fun trying to guess what's behind certain screennames and avatars, what fantasies there might be or what own misconceptions are generated. I took Deecrowseer at first for someone who read the future from birds' bowels in a tippi! And PWV for someone who had been interrogated by the FBI or so.
                      Myself? L'Etrangerxxx was a screenname I used on Ebay and when I came across MWM I quickly decided to used here too ( without xxx), because it is alluding to a great piece of literature and I already well identified with it.
                      My real name is known to some here which is no problem at all, I just don't want too many people in my working life to find out my other interests via Google. I make and commission documentary films and there is a hard competion out there to get my colleagues and me to fund projects. Some people would be so desperate as to creep up via MWM or use whatever impression or information they get about me here to "pitch" (as we say in the branch) their projects ...

And above all, the real world out there's already so brutal in exerting the most intimate details, I like it a little mysterious as it is now
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Both excellent reasons to maintain one's anonymity, LSN and L'E. I have the luxury of being in advertising graphic design -- not a lot of need for security contracts or precarious funding in my line of work. :lol:

L'E makes a great point about usernames and avatars; I also find them fascinating. TheAdlerian once mentioned my avatar almost seems to amplify whatever emotions I'm exhibiting at the moment, projecting them on him, as it were. And my username -- which is based on the title of a Bأ–C song Mike wrote -- has inspired some rather humorous inferences!

By the way, L'Etranger, whatever happened to the apostrophe in your username? Run out of funding?

Comment

My real name is Jerry Cornelius.
                          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                            My real name is Jerry Cornelius.
                            Are you sure you might not be Konrad Arflane? :lol:

LSN

Comment

My real forename is enclosed in my screen name. For those interested, here's a picture of my chops.

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/manmiles-AIH2.JPG

I need to really participate more on the forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X