Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Prototype X: Conratulations on some excellent work Part I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskers
    replied
    Just reading "Giant Squid" and got to the EDITOR'S NOTE, and had to laugh when I read that recovered beaks suggested accidental cannibalism during procreation. :lol: What a way to go! :lol: :squid:

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    Quite right, Berry.

We cannot recreate New Worlds. That's impossible, because New Worlds was the people and the Zeitgeist. It was genuinely unique.

I think we've got to do the best all of us can and see what happens. A glance at New Worlds from time to time is inevitable, because it's a natural touchstone.

Our intentions should be high. To paraphrase in slightly different terms something Miyamoto Musashi wrote, we should aspire to be like a mountain rather than something or someone we admire.

LSN

Leave a comment:

• Grey Mouser
    replied
    Thanks for the in-depth peek at PX1 Berry. Look forward to part 2 of your review.

They do say variety is the spice of life, and maybe PX is a literary microcosmic celebration of that variety.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc
    Darren is a master at layout. I didn't even tell most of the people who became so interested in it that I had something in there. It didn't seem quite right.
    I have to say that with such disparate content an appealing synthesis has occured. I wasn't expecting it to mesh perfectly so I didn't have expectations for that. I was pleasantly suprised to see interludes appear between pieces where image gave us something visual to consider then something factual and then something experimental and then something more traditional. Everyone's pieces have gotten due exposure and find themselves somewhere in the riff that best fits. We have a lot to congratulate Darren on here and I can't wait to see the next fusion he lays down. I also await to see how each and every contributor stretches this time around. I think it's our mutual goal to make the sheditor's job as complex as possible.

I hope that those of you who feel experimental will be experimental in PX2. This is a real chance for us to break some ground in print. It's my personal aspiration to out do what was accomplished in New Worlds, even if I am perpetually equalling it or failing to miss the mark. Our collective synergy is one stroke toward the shore and I am glad to have my piece among your pieces.

Leave a comment:

• PsychicWarVeteran
    replied
    Thanks, gents. The cover is a source of great pride.

I'll never forget reading Perdix's post in which he described "...a front cover for P1 involving the synthesised elements of a sabre-rotored Cierva C30 autogyro darting like a quicksilver dace through a pale azure background, combined with a winter dawn (photographic) image of the ruins of Ripley Priory..."

I had to first find out what a Cierva C30 was. :P

Of course, he never got his photo of the priory, so we went with a seventeenth century woodcut of said ruins, which worked quite well, I thought.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    It certainly had something that made people pick it up. People really wanted to look at it, even those people who are usually so reserved they feel uncomfortable moving a chair closer to my desk.

Of course, it is now safely on my nightstand, where only my wife can steal it.
    :)

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    If I still had a copy, I'd be reluctant to keep it in my office, for fear it would be lifted by someone who noticed the cover.

LSN

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Even more to add (then I'll have to give a review worthy of Berry's efforts )

I told Kirk in private, but I shouldn't keep high praise between the two of us:

I loved the cover. It works in so many ways, and it captures the content between the covers very well. I had my copy on my desk at work, and I had people pick it up, at first just to look at the cover, and then to really look at the content. Some of these are people are completely oblivious to anything but their mobile phone ring tones, and they were interested. Some of these were highly educated professionals who have seen everything and aren't easily impressed. At each of these extremes and in between them, Kirk's work caught their eye, and the visual content of the inside knocked them out. Completely. Darren is a master at layout. I didn't even tell most of the people who became so interested in it that I had something in there. It didn't seem quite right. :oops: :)

More will follow...

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    Originally posted by Carter Kaplan
    I thank you.

My inner child thanks you.

My inner Rod Steiger thanks you.

He he he.
    Somehow, I suspect it's the inner Rod Steiger in the ascendant.

LSN

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    I should add--

Reading about Jerico was a bit of a kick in the stomach, and then it made me smile. A lot. I miss him...

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Re: Prototype X: Conratulations on some excellent work Part

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore

Dr. Dorton and I spoke of his piece over the phone one day. He didn’t know it at the time, but I was feeling depressed and anxious. Anyway, what captured my attention in the piece was that he successfully creates a setting within the VA hospital that is very true to life. VA hospitals are very bleak places. I’ve spent plenty of time in them visiting and have come to learn that the inhabitants learn to be there, but not live there.
    I'm usually pretty intuitive about other people, but I missed the depressed part completely. I always think of you as so very positive that it failed to even cross my mind. You can send me to school, but you can't always make me think...

Regardless, I'm betting that things are remarkably better now, given the exit from the belly of the beast :)

As for VA hospitals--
    Bleak is, by far, the best word for them. I get very sad knowing that they are the last option, and often the last stop, for too many people. I wanted to capture a place that seemed a little hopeless and sickly sterile, and I remembered a VA hospital where I once volunteered while in college. Obviously, it left an impression.

Leave a comment:

• nalpak retrac
    replied
    Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
    or Carter or . . . because it would go to their heads, and we've got to live with these fellows in MM. I'm sure they don't need the praise, having well-developed senses of their own manifold excellences. :lol:
    LSN
    I thank you.

My inner child thanks you.

My inner Rod Steiger thanks you.

He he he.

Leave a comment:

• nalpak retrac
    replied
    Interesting feedback, Berry. Thanks!

"Muscle" was one of the short stories from the first volume of the Invisible Tower Trilogy:

Echolocation
    We Reign Secure
    The Sky-shaped Sarcophagus

The first volume contains a couple short-shorts, a half-dozen stories, a long story, a short novella, and a long novella. The second two volumes are novels.

P-X puts me into thinkng cap mode. 8)

Leave a comment:

• HawkLord
    replied
    Re: Prototype X: Conratulations on some excellent work Part

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore

***Spoiler Alert***

*deleted the text so you dont accidentally read it but you know what im talking about Berry*

***End of Spoiler Alert***

I cant remember very well if I mentioned this but I think it may have been transferred via radiowave.

EDIT : just checked and I didnt mention it in the story but I believe I intended the anti-virus to be spread by radiowave or something, not sure exactly how but probably their implant would act as a receiver (you can tell I planned this out well!).

Thanks for spotting that one

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    I awoke suddenly realizing I had a spoiler in my post. Apologies to those who had a story spoiled. I've fixed that now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X