Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

The Second Ether Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Second Ether Thread

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    LE was referring to this thread: [link expired]

Ahmmm, I'm at a loss what this thread is about ... :? :? :?
    Google ergo sum

You are lost in the Corsairs of the Second Ether, L'E.

This is for those who are geeked up (I mean that as a compliment, by the way) on Blood, Fabulous Harbours, and especially the War Amongst the Angels.

Either that or I've cluelessly spoken for Berry and Dee, and I'm lost, too. :oops: :D

Comment

Since Cascadia!! in Prototype X is the only Second Ether story I have read, all I can say is:

I know, I know, I should be stripped of my title...
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I hate to interrupt the creative energy but...

PWV, you MUST read the Second Ether series. For my money, The War Amongst the Angels resolves (and raises) far more issues than the Multiverse Comic or the present series (I know, that might be sacreligious). Besides, Mike is a character in War amongst the Angels, and Jack Karaquezian might be the coolest of all the eternal champions.

Comment

The Second Ether Stories are some of the best books I've ever read. Mind blowing when I first them, enlightening as I progressed through them, and down-right dynamic in effect. To me they are some of the best representations of how the EC Multiverse truely works. They are to the rest of the EC books exactly what the Second Ether is to the Multiverse. Fascinating stuff.
          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Well said, Everking. I always feel like a cheerleader for the series. I somehow missed reading Blood when it was first released, but read Fabulous Harbours right when it came out. I was hooked-- I read Blood and waited anxiously for War amongst the Angels.

It works on so many levels--as a great story, as an intellectual and literary enterprise, and as a brilliant character study. With respect to the last of those, few of MM's characters are more tragic or noble than Sam, and few of the ECs deal with their fate quite like Jack K. They also have a wonderfully complex relationship that works on many levels.

It's amazing that the short stories that compose Fabulous Harbours work as a complete and cohesive interlude between the first and last volumes, much like the corsairs work as interludes to the main stories.

Comment

Berry will know why now I am nonplussed, hehe.
              :roll:
              Google ergo sum

Comment

Hopefully I wasn't being obnoxious. :oops:

Comment

They are supreme and groovy. They rock like a rocking house on a rocky outcrop. They are skill.

Although there are some quite sharp edges to the writing, and the relationships of the main characters, the jokes also show Mike at his most "playful". The style manages to combine the brooding that we're familiar with, from many of the EC incarnations, with the twisting roles and existential confusion of the JC books, while sweetening the brew with wordplay and puns in the Second Ether segments. I'd like to say it was his best writing to date, but so many of the series appeal for different reasons, on different levels. Still, if you're coming at Mike's work from an existential/beat angle then the SE trilogy is certain to trip your switch... if you're more of a linear-johnny (is that a swear word?), then hopefully there's still enough adventure, and enough of an emotional arc, to keep you reading too.

Just buy them and thank us later! :D

Edit: Sorry, I was typing that while others were posting. I hope I'm not being obnoxious either?
                  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                    They are supreme and groovy. They rock like a rocking house on a rocky outcrop. They are skill.

Although there are some quite sharp edges to the writing, and the relationships of the main characters, the jokes also show Mike at his most "playful". The style manages to combine the brooding that we're familiar with, from many of the EC incarnations, with the twisting roles and existential confusion of the JC books, while sweetening the brew with wordplay and puns in the Second Ether segments. I'd like to say it was his best writing to date, but so many of the series appeal for different reasons, on different levels. Still, if you're coming at Mike's work from an existential/beat angle then the SE trilogy is certain to trip your switch... if you're more of a linear-johnny (is that a swear word?), then hopefully there's still enough adventure, and enough of an emotional arc, to keep you reading too.

Just buy them and thank us later! :D

Edit: Sorry, I was typing that while others were posting. I hope I'm not being obnoxious either?
                    Seems right Dee, especially the playful quality, from the bit I've read, sort of like JC through a Gloriana filter played out in the rumpus room of the Multiverse, with (a)Sidney Riley along as the 4th Stooge, maybe?

Comment

One of the things I like most about it how Mike just throws us into the entire world without appology or explaination. Certain aspects of the version of reality in which Sam, Jack, and the Rose, et.al play out their roles are vaugly familiar to our own, but vastly different in detail (scale?). Also, as more is revealed by passing comments here or there you begin to develop a more thurough understanding of where they are in relation the rest of the multiverse and how the spheres interact with eachother.

As far as the literary value: absolutely brilliant. SE is to me everything that Moorcock was pleading for in Wizardry and Wild Romance. It is the stepping stone that leads the reader of fantastic fiction beyond the boundries of the comfortable and familiar genre into the higher realms of literary ambition and nuance that trancends simple genre while maintaining that simple entertaining element that brought many of us to genre fiction in the first place.

...How's that for obnoxious?

I wasn't trying to be so...I'm just afriad my passion for the series came out in an interested way.

But seriously, I love the SE trilogy.
                      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                        Since Cascadia!! in Prototype X is the only Second Ether story I have read, all I can say is:

I know, I know, I should be stripped of my title...
                        I should have added, Kirk-

Since I offered Berry my signed copy of Mother London to entice him to read it, I can offer you one of my copies of the series. I have 3 copies of each book--one each of the British hardcover editions (all signed), which are my favorites (the covers are magnificent), one each of the American hardcovers (also signed) and trade paperback copies of the Avon editions, which I usually loan out. Yes, I'm odd. :oops: :)

After all, I wouldn't want you stripped of your title. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                          I should have added, Kirk-

Since I offered Berry my signed copy of Mother London to entice him to read it, I can offer you one of my copies of the series...
                          There are such kind, generous people here at MM. Seriously. Why don't I meet people like this outside of the 'net?

Doc, I would love to read whichever book you think would start me off on the right second-ethereal foot. You probably shouldn't send a signed hardcover, though, as it might get... er... lost in the mail! Yeah, that's it! :twisted:

To be honest with you all, I was lost the entire time through Cascadia!! and sort of worried about what I was going to illustrate. Fortunately, Dee came up with the illo idea (that's right, all his idea, I just drew what he said to draw) and gave me a cool piccie of Quelch to use. Otherwise, there'd have been a tram... and nothing else.

Comment

Send me your postal address offline and I'll get Blood in the mail. I think you have my email address...

Comment

Done.

I'm looking forward to a good read!

Comment

Working...
                              X