Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Weird Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Weird Tales seems alright, i've read a few issues, but its still bogged down by those same author who write the same b.s. for the more mainstream stuff like Realms of Fantasy ::shudders::

I hear there new editors or something to that effect, i hope it works, cause really what Weird Tales has here is a chance to get that independant stuff out there, if there smart and don't follow mainstream.

Leave a comment:

• Poetgrrl
    replied
    Originally posted by Perdix
    Oh! No, I didn't get it!

That should be:

[email protected]

of course.

'homail' is a an e-mail address for girlfriends, ain't it?
    i didn't notice the Ho-mail address until just now, girlfriend! ;) I forwarded the note to you on the proper addy. JIMINY we'll get this through ONE way or the other! :dizzy:

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    Oh! No, I didn't get it!

That should be:

[email protected]

of course.

'homail' is a an e-mail address for girlfriends, ain't it?

Leave a comment:

• Poetgrrl
    replied
    Hi!

I sent you an e-mail to the other address we were corresponding on; does this mean you haven't received it yet? *uh oh* I've been having some difficulties here but things are smoothed out for now.

Here: let me get on the link and write back to you.

Leave a comment:

• xidrep
    replied
    Eh, Poetgrrl...what's your address again? I lost it, and I've got a PX1 in a jiffy bag here ready to go!
    electro-mail me on:

[email protected]

I tried your e-mail with no luck a while ago...

Leave a comment:

• Poetgrrl
    replied
    Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    I submitted a piece last year and they rejected it. What a rejection! It came with a complete and detailed analysis of the piece with suggestions on improvement. The current editors are champs, but I don't have their names at hand.
    my poem was rejected for being too long. but did i shorten it and re-submit? or submit anything again? noooo.... what a fool. *sigh*

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    It seems okay. It's traditional but contemporary.

If I had received a full year's worth of issues, I might have a longer baseline from which to judge.

LSN

Leave a comment:

• devilchicken
    replied
    How is the 'original' stuff - is it still fairly traditional, as opposed to Prototype X?

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    That's the sense that I got from my casual breeze through the site. (I spend too much time here to waste too much of my time on other sites :lol:)

It seemed to be a good resource for finding outlets when you don't know the market very well. I also like hearing responses to editorial critique. I've worked with a few academic editors who have made my writing far better, and I can freely acknowledge that. However, I've known people who resent every editor who had any kind of criticism of their work, constructive or not.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    Doc, the best use of that kind of system that I can think of off hand is three fold:

1) I can get a better feel for the audience, without having read the publication.

2) I can more quickly identify publications that I am likely to have a submission make it through.

3) Get a sense of the competition I am up against.

I'm sure there are many other possible benefits.

The downside is that the system could easily lead to some "puddingfication".

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Someone told me about a website (Critters Writing Workshop-- http://critters.critique.org/critters/ ), which details the editorial responses horror writers have received from different editors. I haven't had a chance to go through any of the site, but the idea of comparing editorial feedback is interesting.

In my academic life, I've had brilliant editorial and review feedback, and I've had some that is nearly worthless. It always seems to be a mixed bag. Editors who do their jobs well and with a conscience make an enormous amount of work for themselves. No good deed goes unpunished, and all of that...

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    Really, the magazine is a good idea. I just don't know how reliable it is.

I hadn't heard anything about its editorial policies -- although what Berry described seems extremely generous and helpful -- but since I have no interest in writing fiction for publication, it just makes me think it's edited by decent and very well-meaning people. If they get a lot of submissions, that could turn into a LOT of work.

As I said, I'd like to see them be successful. I would rather read good fiction than do just about any other intellectual activity (except mathematics). I wish them well.

LSN

Leave a comment:

• Whiskers
    replied
    I submitted a piece last year and they rejected it. What a rejection! It came with a complete and detailed analysis of the piece with suggestions on improvement. The current editors are champs, but I don't have their names at hand.

Leave a comment:

• terryallenuk
    replied
    It's in the process of changing publishers and I hear that they are making plans to improve it.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• A_Non_Ymous
    replied
    It's okay, but it isn't all original material a lot of the time. It reprinted one story recently by F. Marion Crawford, which was a good story -- even 100 years after it was written; besides, I had it already in a collection of his supernatural stories.

It's supposed to be quarterly, but I've had problems receiving my subscription. I'm not going to renew it, consequently. It's a nice idea, and I'd like to see it succeed, but they've got to be able to ship the product so that I can actually SEE it regularly. They haven't inspired me with confidence.

LSN

Leave a comment:

Working...
X