Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Weird Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Tales

I see this is still around - albeit not the original incarnation of the magazine. Anyone know if its any good?
    Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

It's okay, but it isn't all original material a lot of the time. It reprinted one story recently by F. Marion Crawford, which was a good story -- even 100 years after it was written; besides, I had it already in a collection of his supernatural stories.

It's supposed to be quarterly, but I've had problems receiving my subscription. I'm not going to renew it, consequently. It's a nice idea, and I'd like to see it succeed, but they've got to be able to ship the product so that I can actually SEE it regularly. They haven't inspired me with confidence.

LSN

Comment

It's in the process of changing publishers and I hear that they are making plans to improve it.

Terry
      The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/

Comment

I submitted a piece last year and they rejected it. What a rejection! It came with a complete and detailed analysis of the piece with suggestions on improvement. The current editors are champs, but I don't have their names at hand.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Really, the magazine is a good idea. I just don't know how reliable it is.

I hadn't heard anything about its editorial policies -- although what Berry described seems extremely generous and helpful -- but since I have no interest in writing fiction for publication, it just makes me think it's edited by decent and very well-meaning people. If they get a lot of submissions, that could turn into a LOT of work.

As I said, I'd like to see them be successful. I would rather read good fiction than do just about any other intellectual activity (except mathematics). I wish them well.

LSN

Comment

Someone told me about a website (Critters Writing Workshop-- http://critters.critique.org/critters/ ), which details the editorial responses horror writers have received from different editors. I haven't had a chance to go through any of the site, but the idea of comparing editorial feedback is interesting.

In my academic life, I've had brilliant editorial and review feedback, and I've had some that is nearly worthless. It always seems to be a mixed bag. Editors who do their jobs well and with a conscience make an enormous amount of work for themselves. No good deed goes unpunished, and all of that...

Comment

Doc, the best use of that kind of system that I can think of off hand is three fold:

1) I can get a better feel for the audience, without having read the publication.

2) I can more quickly identify publications that I am likely to have a submission make it through.

3) Get a sense of the competition I am up against.

I'm sure there are many other possible benefits.

The downside is that the system could easily lead to some "puddingfication".
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

That's the sense that I got from my casual breeze through the site. (I spend too much time here to waste too much of my time on other sites :lol:)

It seemed to be a good resource for finding outlets when you don't know the market very well. I also like hearing responses to editorial critique. I've worked with a few academic editors who have made my writing far better, and I can freely acknowledge that. However, I've known people who resent every editor who had any kind of criticism of their work, constructive or not.

Comment

How is the 'original' stuff - is it still fairly traditional, as opposed to Prototype X?
                  Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

It seems okay. It's traditional but contemporary.

If I had received a full year's worth of issues, I might have a longer baseline from which to judge.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
                      I submitted a piece last year and they rejected it. What a rejection! It came with a complete and detailed analysis of the piece with suggestions on improvement. The current editors are champs, but I don't have their names at hand.
                      my poem was rejected for being too long. but did i shorten it and re-submit? or submit anything again? noooo.... what a fool. *sigh*

Comment

Eh, Poetgrrl...what's your address again? I lost it, and I've got a PX1 in a jiffy bag here ready to go!
                        electro-mail me on:

[email protected]

I tried your e-mail with no luck a while ago...

Comment

Hi!

I sent you an e-mail to the other address we were corresponding on; does this mean you haven't received it yet? *uh oh* I've been having some difficulties here but things are smoothed out for now.

Here: let me get on the link and write back to you.

Comment

Oh! No, I didn't get it!

That should be:

[email protected]

of course.

'homail' is a an e-mail address for girlfriends, ain't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                              Oh! No, I didn't get it!

That should be:

[email protected]

of course.

'homail' is a an e-mail address for girlfriends, ain't it?
                              i didn't notice the Ho-mail address until just now, girlfriend! ;) I forwarded the note to you on the proper addy. JIMINY we'll get this through ONE way or the other! :dizzy:

Comment

Working...
                              X