Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

just let this thread die

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just let this thread die

Favorite: "The Visitor," by Langdon Jones.

Least liked: "The Naked Stranger," by that "Newburg" fellow.

Most promising new author: Duncan Crosier

Least promising: that "Newburg" fellow again.

LSN

Comment

I edited my post to prohibit voting for or against oneself

Comment

How long will this poll remain open for? It's just that I've been too busy to actually read much of PX-1 so far but I was planning on savouring it all when I go on holiday next week. :oops:

Mind you, with all the other stuff I'll have to read at the same time (hopefully going to get a whole bunch of Moorcockiana for my birthday, which occurs at the start of the holiday) it will probably take me the entire two weeks to finish it.
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
          I edited my post to prohibit voting for or against oneself
          Maintenant, je suis faible?

C'est dommage.

LSN

Comment

Je ne suis pas certain d' utiliser correctement le mot :?

Comment

Tu l'as utilisأ© correctement. Tant pis pour moi.

LSN

P.S. Sorry everyone, but we have temporarily converted MWM to francophone-only mode.

Comment

Um, I wonder. With the cultivation of literary talent (and magazine-making talent) being our primary goal, rather than poling peoples’ simple “favorites�, let’s identify specific characteristics within the various works, and explain why we find these things interesting. This sort of approach to discussion and criticism should, at this stage, be most useful to the authors.

Comment

That would be okay with me.

LSN

Comment

Do you want to take the lead here, Carter? Get things started with an initial critical / literary sortie?

LSN

Comment

I need to take it all in. It is more impressive than the impressive draft Perdix showed me. Thinking of my first look at Wyndham Lewis's BLAST. I'm kind of taken aback. Something is going to come of this.

In general: P-X is a significant bit of work. In an earlier discussion (I think it was the one that arose when my students questioned the propriety of creating a print version) I formulated the notion--sort of an expectation--that P-X would be something a person could take with them somewhere--to the seashore, to the mountains, to the tree house, to the subway, to the museum--and enjoy a unique session of reading, imagining, dreaming. Home cooking. Something you couldn't get from the bookstore at the mall. Now thumbing through it, P-X looks like a point of departure for this kind of reading.

I can't quite tell where we're at politically. Which is cool.

And off I go.

Comment

It is different, there's no question about that.

Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be a "house" style. The mix is incredibly eclectic, and no one's work resembles that of anyone else. This is unquestionably a strength.

Personally, I respond on the aesthetic level to the prose at its best. For this reason, the Langdon Jones piece left a definite impression on me. Sorting out personal reactions into critical appraisal will take a little time.

What's sort of scary is that I think we can all do better, individually and as a magazine.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Kaplan
                          Um, I wonder. With the cultivation of literary talent (and magazine-making talent) being our primary goal, rather than poling peoples’ simple “favorites�, let’s identify specific characteristics within the various works, and explain why we find these things interesting. This sort of approach to discussion and criticism should, at this stage, be most useful to the authors.
                          That is of course one of the the purposes of this thread. I thought of starting a poll-and-discussion thread on each piece separately but that could be a bit too much...40ish threads 8O

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                            Originally posted by Carter Kaplan
                            That is of course one of the the purposes of this thread. I thought of starting a poll-and-discussion thread on each piece separately but that could be a bit too much...40ish threads 8O
                            Could we persuade each contributor to start a thread for the kind of review we are thinking of? It might be true that not everyone who contributed has an interest in criticism of their work. Speaking for myself, I'm dying to give my back story and thoughts about my own contribution. It might also be true readers are disinterested in these clarifications. Could criticism detract from some of the work?
                            The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Friends,
                              I strongly object to the idea of our contributions finding themsrelves in a kind of competition all of a sudden. That was never the concept and in my experience doesn't do any good for creativity. It quickly leads to would-be contributers sending in only what they think has a chance of beating all other entries and not what they feel like expressing. Or you get a subconscious copying of "successful patterns". I'm against that.
                              We did it for the spirit and good fun, but not to enter a race. Mordenkainen, kindly take my contribution out of your list. Thanks in advance.
                              No offense meant, ok?
                              Google ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                              X