Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Something dropped through my letter-box this morning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something dropped through my letter-box this morning...

Actually, two things dropped through my letterbox (okay, four things but the junk mail doesn't count and final demands for payment go straight in the bin) both of which bore startling similarities (and differences).

One was the last issue* of a certain editor's tenure on a long-running and high-regarded periodical dated 1969 (so it must have passed through a time-warp or something - if it was still going I'd cancel my subscription if that's the level of customer service I can expect).

The other was the first issue of a certain other editor's tenure on a new and surely to be highly-regarded (and highly sought after surely?) periodical dated July 2005 and bearing the moniker Prototype X.

What can I say? Well, I've only browsed through it the once but it looks pretty darned special. Certainly it's going to take me a while to read everything in it. Far roo early to be able to mention any highlights, but the article on squids(!) looks interesting. Looking forward to reading everyone's contributions though.

Mr Perdix, you've done a sterling job, sir. Now, back in the Shed with you; we need - indeed demand - P-X2!! :D

*New Worlds 188 if you must know.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Why, thankyou sir! I'm quite pleased with the delivery speed: under 48h for آ£1.75! Not bad. Please ignore the various typos that I have inevitably discovered post-printing (some of which I KNOW I had previously corrected: My WP prog's have a mind of their own, I'll swear...). Enjoy! :D

Comment

I didn't want to brag, but I got one too. It's about an hour old now, and I'm very impressed. I do have one serious complaint though...

We were all aware that our esteemed editor was witty, intelligent, kind to animals, talented, dashing, sporty and charismatic... but I'd always been able to keep a lid on my seething envy and resentment by imagining that he might be hideously ugly. But now, that's simply no longer an option. There he is, grinning out of the stylish b/w photo like Neal-Cassady-meets-Michael-Palin, with his roguish eye-brows all aloft. Damn you, sir!

I refuse to have anything more to do with this publication until the editor hits himself in the face with a shed door. Or buys a pair of novelty "Groucho" glasses.

Pah!
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I can't believe some of you have it already. I wonder how long it will take for mine to get all the way to Seattle... [image moved] I wait patiently...
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

You will observe, however, Dee, that both pictures are upper half only and (obviously) stills: In real life, I walk 'like I've shat myself', as sequential partners have never hesitated to point out. It's a result of the fell-running... :?

Comment

I also suspect I had 'the glow of Bacchus' upon me when that picture was taken at my Stag Do (in Brighton - it was only me and two ladies. No, not like that...unfortunately)...

Comment

Is the photo a result of a "Glamour Shots" session or is there some Photoshop afoot?
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Oh yes, further to my comments above I should point out that in any PDF'ing of P-X1 would result in a very pale imitation of the finished physical product.

But then I think Perdix and PWV have discounted that suggestion already.
                _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I've got mine! First impressions: a well turned-out, dare I say it, lavish production.

"You've all done very well!"
                  \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

As I've mentioned to perdix in e-mail, I expect my copies to take between 5 days and 2 weeks to arrive. This is based on my experience with parcels from the UK, France, and Germany. It is very hard to predict, and may be influenced by the astrological effects of the new planet that mordenkainen alluded to in another thread in Tanelorn.

At this point, those of us on this side of the pond must simply exercise our patience. Assuming it is not intercepted by government agents in the belief that it is a coded message from Osama bin Ladin, the book will get here in time.

LSN

Comment

BEFORE anyone points it out...

'Apologies to Langdon Jones for the gap where his name and story title should be in the 'Contents' page, whilst Dee gets two entries for 'Spring Cleaning', only one of which is correct, and David Morgan (Jones)'s biography got hidden behind Langdon's in the page set up and hence is invisible. These omissions have been already rectified. Put it down to last- minute repaginaton and proof-reading done at 4am over several days...' :roll:

Yes, I know about the other bits, too...

Comment

It is my hope that when I order a copy for MYSELF (as opposed to copies for other people) that it will have all the textual and layout improvements to which Perdix alludes.

We've got to figure out the details of the next printing. It sounds a trifle convoluted at this time.

LSN

Comment

By the way, Perdix, you could hand-deliver the copy to Langdon Jones, where you would be able to make such apologies as you deem necessary.

LSN

Comment

It's gone already...

Comment

NOTE: Perdix will be largely unavailable until the 22nd inst. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X