Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Prototype X: NOT sold out. Yay!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype X: NOT sold out. Yay!

Originally posted by Perdix
    I'm currently converting the entire mag to PDF and then I'll see if I can get I printed by my nice printshop peeps. When that will be, though, I can't say - needless to say, I would like to have produced the 250+ that would actually fulfil our 'order book', and I'm sorry if any contributors miss a copy of the pilot, but it had to be first-come, first-served!

When I first saw the other thread I began to panic. Thank goodness for that diaphragmatic breathing technique I learned from the yogi....

But, reading the above, I can return to my latte in peace. Ahhhhh....

Slurp!

Yes, converting to .pdf format can definitely make the mag available to more people in short order, I just wonder what the total file size will be. The company I work for puts out several catalogs a month, which are nowhere near as many pages as Prototype X, and the .pdf files we send to the printer average around 60-70 megs for one catalog. 8O But perhaps Perdix could save an alternate set of .pdfs at a lower resolution for web-reading purposes.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I was going to use the PDF to give to printers rather than download, but I could copy onto disc and then post the disc and folk can print out the bits they want...not the same, though, so maybe I won't (and it takes about a year to copy it all onto disc, too!).

Comment

I was going to use the PDF to give to printers rather than download, but I could copy onto disc and then post the disc and folk can print out the bits they want...not the same, though, so maybe I won't (and it takes about a year to copy it all onto disc, too!).
        Perhaps you could set up a 'dub network' where you send the PDF out to a group of people along with, say, 10-20 addresses and they 'dub' the CDs for you? Suppose there might be some QC issues, but CD-Rs are dirt cheap if you shop around (ie آ£10 for 100) so the only real outlay for everyone is their time and postage. Certainly it would be cheaper to send 5 CD 'masters' to the States and then have US 'dub centres' post the CDs locally.

Just a thought. (I've seen this done very successfully with fan reconstructions of 'lost' Doctor Who episodes - the 'client' sends the dub centre a blank VHS tape/return posatge and two weeks later they get the recon back in the post.)

Do people think there's any mileage in this idea?
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I'd still rather keep it as a 'print' only, although your idea is a good one. I don't think it really works that well unless it's a hard copy.

Comment

Maybe if you charged something :?:

Comment

I'd still rather keep it as a 'print' only, although your idea is a good one. I don't think it really works that well unless it's a hard copy.
              I completely respect your decision here, P. It's a work of art, afterall, and as the chief artist creating the piece, you have a right to dictate its format. If I'm doing a watercolor, it wouldn't make any sense for someone to request an acrylic version of the same painting. The medium can be a big portion of the art itself.

Comment

Well said, PWV, old fruit. If we go all CD or webby, it kind of defeats the original object: and it's all meant to go together, page after page. It's a 'complete thing', if you see what I mean... :roll:

Comment

It's a 'complete thing', if you see what I mean...
                  Nothing but pure agreement here.

Comment

It's definitely a good idea to have the US issues printed in the US. Anyway - the most pressing problem I see is that P has invested about all the cash and free time he could in this project. I'm not sure what he needs is a solution to distribute the final product for free -or almost - in a crappy PDF version.
                    Or am Iwrong?

Comment

No, that sounds right to me, mordenkainen.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the ritual to "activate" the book requires you to rub the pages against your skin... but of course they have to be the original pages, because of the virgin goats' blood that Perdix has been adding to the ink. Now, obviously, if your own printer has the goat-processor port, you'll probably be okay, but otherwise you risk missing the Ascension altogether... :(
                      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                        I'm not sure what he needs is a solution to distribute the final product for free -or almost - in a crappy PDF version.
                        Well, CK and I already have agreed with Perdix that it's his baby and should be done his way. I don't think anyone's going to further force the .pdf issue.

By the way, I wonder if people get the remarkable depth and irony of Dee's humor most of the time. Dee, you rock. That, or I'm the one who doesn't get you and just think I do. :)

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                          Well, CK and I already have agreed with Perdix that it's his baby and should be done his way. I don't think anyone's going to further force the .pdf issue.
                          that's not what I meant, I wasn't picking on you. I was thinking, where's everyone else gone? there was such a good response to P's project and in the end only 15 of us actually pay for our orders? And some of us actually paid for postage only?

dude, I really have to work on my communication skills. In the meanwhile, I adopted a Troll as my new avatar :?

Comment

I know you guys have been working hard on this. I wouldn't think of lecturing you on how to support P. I meant - everyone who encouraged him to carry on with this. Now the situation from where I stand is either 50 people get the one and only issue of PX ever for the price of postage and P can sit on his printer, or everyone pays something for the mag so there can be a second run, and a second issue etc..
                            correct me if I'm wrong.
                            I don't know if I always get Dee's points, but I'm pretty sure he got mine, and that's impressive enough :lol:

Comment

M, I think PWV and I also agree that all input concerning content, vision, "mission", format, production, distribution, and so on is really cool and desirable! The free exchange if ideas is what everyone hopes will make P-X something special. Do not remove that thinking cap! Darren has the final say so, is the point. (pssst, can we count ye in fer the mutiny, shipmate! har har har har....)

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                              . . . but otherwise you risk missing the Ascension altogether... :(
                              Eeek! Anything but that!

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                              . . . if your own printer has the goat-processor port
                              Indeed. Goat processor port!

Sir, my entire CPU is a goat!

Zoot Alors! 8O

Comment

Working...
                              X