Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Newly Discovered Unpublished Poem!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Discovered Unpublished Poem!!!

Purchasing a 1975 New English Library edition of Breakfast in the Ruins from my local bookshop for 50p (I'm sure the store owner will post 1/2p to Mr Morhain as royalties on the sale), I was astonished to see two tiny sheets of dry notepaper flutter moth-like from out of the yellowing leaves when I opened it. Reflexively snatching them up before anyone could see (It was instinct - I thought they might have been banknotes) I discovered these verses, etched in faded blue 'Bic' biro and written in a curlicue-heavy hand....

Infinity

I
    Summer's day, a sunlit bay,
    My mind is overflowing,
    It is alight,
    At this wonderful sight,
    My heart it is a-glowing.

II
    With infinite peace, only to cease,
    When a bird cries overhead,
    What's this bird's plight, it's endless flight,
    Not I could have said.

III
    What's gone before upon this shore,
    Only my mind's eye can see,
    I see in my dream, a strange sunbeam,
    Reflecting the inner me.

IV
    Once more sunset, I don't regret,
    Another day hath passed me by,
    For I can't forget, the day we met,
    I cannot live a lie.

V
    And to dance, for romance,
    This is the perfect place to be,
    But not alone, on my own,
    You see it's only me.

VI
    This despair, I will share,
    With a poem now and then,
    So for a while, put on a smile,
    Until we meet again.

From the tempo and idiom, I thought it could be Thomas Love Peacock, who was a big Moorcock fan. The use of simple and yet heart-warming imagery recalls the emotive wordplay of one S. Milligan, whose similarly coastal, nay, oceanic, piece:

I must go down to the sea again;
    To the lonely sea and the sky.
    I left my shoes and socks there;
    I wonder if they're dry?

never fails to move me (usually to put the book down and go out). I would be interested to hear the critiques of other readers before I take the manuscript to the British Museum Cleaner's Cafeteria Room for their archives...

Looks like one for the "Found" site!
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

A superb poem. Reminds me of my own work, which I long ago decided not to inflict on the world lest professional poets all quit their job in despair.

Deserves to sit beside the oeuvre of the great Dundee poet, McGonagall, master of scansion. A taste of his talent:

Loch Leven

Beautiful Loch Leven, near by Kinross
      For a good day's fishing the angler is seldom at a loss,
      For the Loch it abounds with pike and trout,
      Which can be had for the catching without any doubt;
      And the scenery around it is most beautiful to be seen,
      Especially the Castle, wherein was imprisoned Scotland's ill-starred Queen.

Unlike Spike, this guy of course meant it (maaan) !

Comment

The tragedy of it all is, like an elixir of prunes and senna, so moving...

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Poet
          This despair, I will share,
          With a poem now and then
          I'd rather you didn't.

Comment

:lol:

Comment

C'mon, Darren - you made all this up. You wrote a poem, right? And then didn't want to publish it under your name. You're pulling our leg(s) with the "wondrous find", aren't you?
              Like the "sightings" of the Loch Ness Monster when there's nothing to report in the news during summer - or on a lazy Sunday like today!

Google ergo sum

Comment

Lazy Sunday afternoon, you say?
                By gosh, I feel a bit of a rhyme coming on...

"Wouldn't it be nice
                To get on with me neighbours
                But they make it very clear
                They've got no room for ravers
                They stop me from groovin',
                They bang on me wall
                They're doing me crust in
                It's no good at all

Oh...

Lazy Sunday afternoon
                I got no mind to worry
                I close my eyes and drift away

Here we all are sittin' in a rainbow
                Cor, 'ello Mrs Jones
                How's your Bert's lumbago?
                I'll sing you a song,
                With no words and no tune
                To sing in your kharzi
                While you suss out the moon

(Chorus)

Root-de-doo-de-doo
                Root-de-doot-de die day
                Root-de doot de dum
                Root-de-doo-de-doo dee

There's no one to hear me,
                There's nothing to say
                And no one can stop me
                From feelin' this way

Lazy Sunday afternoon
                I've got no mind to worry
                Close my eyes and drift a…
                Close my eyes and drift a…
                Close my eyes and drift away"

From the poetic works of Mr Steve Marriott, and former Austin, Tx., resident Mr Ronald "Leafy" Lane.

Too bad I've had a hard-working Sunday afternoon, but at least I've still got a song in my heart...!

Did someone say "Off topic" ? What was the topic anyway?

Comment

I just escaped from an all day consulting job (on Sunday, no less), only to find this oh-so-interesting thread on l'art poأ¨tique.

Really, gentlemen, if you're going to contend for the poetaster's award, you ought to hang out in the "verse" threads.

L'Etranger, I hope you got my reply to your e-mail. I just sent it a little while ago. Ordinarily, I'm quicker to respond, but I've been incommunicado. :roll:

LSN

Comment

A little word like "lazy" can provoke entire odes, it seems ...
                    Great job as a side product of a busy Sunday, Doctor Lawley, by all means.
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

I can't take any credit for the doggerel above; it is of course the lyric to Lazy Sunday Afternoon by the simply smashing Small Faces (a Marriott/Lane mini-masterpiece).

Comment

Originally posted by GuyLawley
                        I can't take any credit for the doggerel above; it is of course the lyric to Lazy Sunday Afternoon by the simply smashing Small Faces (a Marriott/Lane mini-masterpiece).
                        :oops: Oh!
                        Thought it was somewhat familiar ... :roll:
                        But I'm one of those people who cannot filter out texts from songs they hear and remember them. No matter in which language. (When I first heard John and Yoko singing "All we are saying is - Give Peace a Chance" I thought it was "All we are saying is - Hippies are Japs").

Wasn't LAZY SUNDAY AFTERNOON also used in an ice-cream commercial?

Originally posted by LSN
                        L'Etranger, I hope you got my reply to your e-mail. I just sent it a little while ago. Ordinarily, I'm quicker to respond, but I've been incommunicado. Rolling Eyes
                        Reste tranquil, j'ai la recu bien, merci.
                        Google ergo sum

Comment

[quote="LEtranger"]
                          Originally posted by GuyLawley
                          (When I first heard John and Yoko singing "All we are saying is - Give Peace a Chance" I thought it was "All we are saying is - Hippies are Japs").

Wasn't LAZY SUNDAY AFTERNOON also used in an ice-cream commercial?
                          Don't recall the ad.

Love the "Hippies are Japs" mis-hear. :)

Have you heard the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band doing Give Booze a Chance? Priceless!

Comment

The Bonzos are gods...

Do the trouser-press, baby!

OOooooo-oooh!

Do the trouser press, baby!

OOooo--oo--ooh!

Give it all you can,
                            It's much better than,
                            A prefabricated
                            Concrete
                            Coal-bunker

Genius.

Comment

Hey, Guy. Did you know that Mac of the Faces and Kim his wife are good friends of ours ? Neighbours, in fact, in Texas. One of my all time favourite bands and one of the greatest ever R&B keyboard players.
                              Of course, we sit around talking about Eel Pie Island and old Ealing comedies, these days. And Mac still keeps his cred, playing with Billy Bragg!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Working...
                              X