Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Prototype X Stateside Printing Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype X Stateside Printing Run

I think it's time we consider the cost of shipping from UK to US as compared to the cost of printing them in the US. Are we open to figuring that out? Is there a grant in the US that might help us out?
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Blimey! That's a good idea.

Prototype X International

Do we need a Green Card? When do we start sponsoring Formula 1? :D

That's a damn' good idea, Berry. I can even mail it as JPEGs.

Comment

I'll start some local research. My first task will be to sync up with Elliot Bay and find out where all the current lot of indi pubs have been pressed at...
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
        Blimey! That's a good idea.

Prototype X International

Do we need a Green Card? When do we start sponsoring Formula 1? :D

That's a damn' good idea, Berry. I can even mail it as JPEGs.
        If you put the document together in Indesign you could export it as a PDF, assuming you have a copy of Acrobat of course. It gives you a certain amount of copyright control - and you can set up the output parameters in the program.
        Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Many of our locals are printed in Canada 8O. Doesn't make much sense on the surface...

I can dig around a little bit...

Comment

I meant to say PDF, not JPEG, of course! :lol: :oops:

Right techno-editor, me (thanks, Gallus satanicus! :D )

Comment

I'm going to Elliot Bay Book Co. this evening on my way home to get contact information from the various zines that ours would be grouped with. I spoke with EBBC via phone and got the following information, most of which I have yet to research:

Pinball Press - own stuff

Spoke with them on the phone and they do print runs. They asked many technical questiosns.

http://www.pinballpublishing.com/
              http://www.pinballpublishing.com/?se...n=custom_quote

Rivet

I've read this zine before. They might have some insight.
              http://www.rivetmagazine.org/linked.html

Another suggested source for information:
              http://www.hugohouse.org/

hugohouse.org on capital hill zine library

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on what it is that I learn.

In order for me to dialog with these people, I need some technical infomation that I can impart about what we are doing. Would you please give me the meaty bits of it, so I can stop stammering on the phone?

My thought is that we could find an zine that has similiar production parameters that we have and perhaps establish a cooperative relationship.

Comment

Unexpected results.

The selection of independent publications has grown since I first researched. And not by half, but by 400% at least. When I first saw them, there were about 10, and we are looking at around 40 now.

The quality, and I'm not being overly critical, has not increased. Rivet is put out by a web company, and it functions as a zine that promotes the main players, but the pieces are enjoyable and it's not a continuous ad for that company. It is the slickest publication of them all. The others are artistic in many different ways. A couple are very small personal publications that experiment with the binding or the content, of course. Several seemed like one-person publications, and the overwhelming majority were experimental fiction or rants printed by computers on computer paper, folded in half, with a hard card cover. Without having seen our bit, I'm guessing we've got a publication that is superior in appearance and probably, if I recall the dimensions, significantly larger, though I hesitate to rate the content in comparison, since I've only read Rivet. Many of them are creations of abstract art. One of them was a tiny photo album.

The location of the zines have shifted to the left and I had a hard time spotting the material they had, so I feel the emphasis has been reduced. It won't be difficult for a color cover to attract attention since most of the covers are white, manilla and gray. They, however, are still straight in front as you enter.

The pubs have sunk further below eye level by half a foot.

Oh! And I scored a copy of WAR AMONGST THE ANGELS in the used section, where there was a prominent display of Moorcock books.

Comment

Excellent work, Berry. It sounds like we could be rather competitive on quality, anyway. I'm printing the artwork on some old bog roll I found in the shed, but the text has to go on lower quality paper.
                  Naw, if i CAn jst fxx awl the typoes', it shood be fein!

Comment

I don't know what bog roll is. I need to be able to communicate with printers about what it is we're trying to print. Could you tell me, again, what the specifications of the magazine are?

Comment

It's best I don't elaborate, I was being flippantly vulgar!

At the moment, we're looking at A4, 150-page text + colour pictures, including photographs, printed both sides. Around 2.5cm margins lt & rt. I'm printing on 110gsm paper, strong white, high opacity. Cover is being printed commercially a a 'wraparound' 'reinforced paperback' (very strong colour needed) and then whole is 'perfect bound'. Inside covers are blank. Currently pages and images are on Pageplus 7, Photoplus 7, PrintPro15 and PaintShopPro, plus MS Word, but could (I think...) all be exported as PDF.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Many thnaks!

I'm sure you inferred from my previous message that I didn't really find anyone to co-op with.

So, is the printing method "letter press"?

Comment

I asked one of the buyers at my store about carrying the magazine - in order to be considered I would need to submit a letter in writing (attaching a copy for consideration). There's a wait period of at least 4 weeks for approval (or otherwise) be a lot easier if it can be classified as a book rather than a magazine publication.

The advantage here is that there is no corporate bullshit to deal with - the bookstore is independent, and the local buyers have a big say over what goes out. If it goes well we could be selling some copies in downtown Pasadena.

Let me know what you think - I'll need to wait until Perdix starts the mailouts before I can do anything else, but could be promising.
                          Batman: It's a low neighborhood, full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusions.

Robin: Gosh, drink is sure a filthy thing, isn't it? I'd rather be dead than unable to trust my own eyes!

Comment

Sounds fine, DC. PX IS a book, rather than a magazine, really: albeit a softback. I'm waiting for the iSBN, which takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r, but that won't hold up the pilot run.

Berry - I guess it is 'Letter Press' - or it could be 'Litho*', 'cos of all the nice colours. Or 'three-colour litho'. Or something. I don't really know, as it's all done on laser printer! I'll ask my printer what they would print it as.

*Named after 'lithograph', a printing method using the technique of engraving into fine limestone: usually using Solnhofen stone, in which, interestingly, the fossils of Archaeopteryx were discovered (including some with feather impressions, preserved due to the fine grain of the stone [or, rather, lagoon mud]). Erm...I'll go to the printers.

Comment

Working...
                            X