Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Favorite aphorisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite aphorisms

An aphorism and a maxim (cf. La Rochefoucould) aren't exactly the same thing, although there are sometimes intersections.

Let's post some of our favorite aphorisms here, in brief. One aphorism to a post.

My first contribution is from an odd-but-entertaining, and not very widely known writer, the author of the notorious Kai Lung books.

Originally posted by Ernest Bramah

"... there are few situations in life that cannot be honourably settled, and without loss of time, either by suicide, a bag of gold, or thrusting a despised antagonist over the edge of a precipice on a dark night."
    One of my favorites, that one. Bramah made a number of good ones, but I've set the rule of one-per-posting.

LSN

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

A watched pot never boils.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

I 'ad that Oscar Wilde in the back o' me cab the other week, and he says to me...

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
        ... so I drove orff without givin' 'im 'is change. :D
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

On the Wildian theme:

'An infatuation and a lifelong passion are the same, except the infatuation lasts longer'

Or something like that. I paraphrased him, je crois.

Comment

George Bernard Shaw once said, "Crude classifications and [broken link]false generalizations are the curse of organized life."
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 11:02 AM.

Comment

A liitle something from the author of The Way of All Flesh:

Originally posted by Samuel Butler
              Is life worth living? This is a question for an embryo, not for a man.
              LSN

Comment

And a little something from Lord Acton:

Originally posted by Lord Acton
                Fanaticism in religion is the alliance of the passions she condemns with the dogmas she professes.
                LSN

Comment

And a fine quote from the author of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire:

Originally posted by Edward Gibbon
                  The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.
                  This one may still be true.

LSN

Comment

And after the amusing use to which I put Schopenhauer in "The Martian Sojourner," here's something of his I like:

Originally posted by Arthur Schopenhauer
                    Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people as to how they shall think.
                    LSN

Comment

And here's a low-budget original:

Originally posted by L. Stearns Newburg
                      Apologies are like arsewipes. They should be disposed of as quickly as possible, and without undue examination.
                      Hm, perhaps it's not quite ready to associate with Schopenhauer or Lord Acton or Samuel Butler. :lol:

LSN

Comment

It's certainly more visceral :)

Comment

Now, words of wisdom from an international espionage agent, and former freelance fashion journalist:

Originally posted by Olivia Joules
                          Only buy clothes that make you feel like doing a small dance.
                          "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by Bertrand Russell
                            If I were granted omnipotence, and millions of years to experiment in, I should not think Man much to boast of as the final result of all my efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter De Vries, in his book [i
                              The Mackerel Plaza[/i],]It is the final proof of God's omnipotence that he need not exist in order to save us.

Comment

Working...
                              X