Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

LSN = H.H.Munro reborn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We'll see. To publish something serially, it is necessary to find a couple of evenly-spaced dramatic breaks for a 3-parter. In the days when such serial publication was the norm, writers often built in such dramatic breaks to facilitate serialisation. (I've read of a few occasions where the magazine ignored the dramatic breaks and fractured the story at different points from those the writer planned.)

I haven't been doing this with any dramatic breaks at strategic locations planned. Perhaps they'll be there when I'm done, but it'll be an accident, if so.

Perdix has not, by the way, ruled out the possibility of such serialisation in future issues. So if people have longer works they've written, those works are NOT automatically disqualified for publication.

LSN

Comment

I've put up 2 fairly rough drafts of comic-bizarro short stories under the title "entertainments with a comedic premise".

Maybe they'll give people a "sardonic" laugh or two.

LSN

Comment

When I say these drafts are "rough," I mean I would do a fair amount of verbal revision before I thought they were "right." From a structural standpoint, they seem more or less okay.

Seeing early drafts might be helpful to some people. I usually revise 3-5 times after the first draft. Sometimes more often.

LSN

Comment

As is my usual practice, I'll remove the "comedic premise" drafts after a few days. If anyone harbors the curious desire to read the damned things, but hasn't the time at the moment, I suggest they save the text locally.

LSN

Comment

Not one to leave your stuff hanging out in the wind for long are you, LSN? :P

I always have a pang of regret when I decide to pull something down off my site for whatever reason. Not sure why. But then, once something is on the 'net, it's there for good, one way or another...
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

No, because I can't leave the texts alone, and don't like to leave old copies hanging around after a round of revisions.

I just put these up because I had them, and people seemed amused by some of the cr*p that I posted earlier.

LSN

Comment

I've got a very small story called "The Thread of Lachesis" up on the "comedic premise" thread. This has its amusing aspects, but it's not entirely comedy. My suspicion is that since I'm primarily a producer of literary f*rt jokes (at least on this forum), it might be considered atypical, and not to everyone's taste here. Probably I should remove it soon.

For those who are interested, it, too, is excerpted from the same larger work that gave you "Per aspera ad astra."

"Lachesis" will probably be taken down no later than tomorrow sometime.

LSN

Comment

In part, I posted it because MWM seems suddenly very dead. August vacations, I imagine.

LSN

Comment

As far as I'm concerned I got my copy of the WHITE WOLF'S SON today (it took longer as I ordered it through a local bookshop, AND I SUPPORT BOOKSHOPS instead of online dealers for social reasons). therefore I won't be free to contribute mucv here. And tomorrow's my final day at the office before I go on a three week leave, two of them in Espaأ±a.
                    Google ergo sum

Comment

bienvenido L'E!

Comment

Bon voyage. Enjoy your vacation!

LSN

Comment

Gracias! Lamentablemente no vengo por tu lado. Hubiera sido un placer conocerte, estoy seguro.

Oh, you're all online, fellas!
                          Google ergo sum

Comment

Henceforth, because of some very serious comments I have received on how I have posted stories in this forum, I think I'm going to refrain from doing so in future. I generally want to take them down after a certain interval, and I don't want to give the appearance of doing something irregular or unfair by depriving people of the ability to post their comments along with the texts. The current 3 stories will be taken down soon.

Next time, if I have anything that I think might be amusing to people, I'll ask who wants to receive a copy. My modus operandi until now has basically been a "soft sell," where I just tossed the stories out for anyone to peruse if they felt like it. Somehow, sending a story directly to other people doesn't feel quite right to me -- rather as if I am imposing on the good will of others by putting them in a position where they are almost FORCED to read something I did. I don't really have that much confidence that these things are entertaining. That's why I tend to chase after cheap laughs so often.

So thanks for everyone's indulgence up to now. I won't impose in this way in future. Those readers who have actually expressed something like pleasure in some of these stories deserve my special thanks. If you think what I've written is diverting, you are unusual people. :lol:

LSN

Comment

People who, for whatever reason, are interested in receiving copies of any of the recently posted stories ("Rogg - an Entertainment," "Prissants," or "The Thread of Lachesis") should send me e-mail informing me of their interest. If you send e-mail, specify which story you would like to receive.

The first two stories listed are fairly rough draft, I think. They're each close to 8000 words. "The Thread of Lachesis" is intended to be final draft quality. It's a mere 1200 words or so, an exercise in the surrealism of dream-logic, with passing hommage to Freud, Sir J. G. Frazer, and Hamlet's Mill. What a potpourri!

The original texts are in HTML (sort of a text formatting lingua franca). If you have a browser, you should be able to handle the format.

No one should feel obligated to read any of these stories, of course. If they seem stupid, silly, or pointless, just pass. I certainly won't feel offended by a lack of interest. It's valuable data in its own right.

LSN

Comment

I have edited the story I posted called "The Thread of Lachesis" and retitled it "Ghosts." Something about the former title seeming nearly as long as the (very short) story made a one-word title seem better. :-] The edits and adjustments are primarily small verbal tweaks...

At any rate, TM was kind enough to read the edited version. He made some appreciative remarks, but observed in passing that for some reason, it reminded him of the end of Zelazny's The Dream Master. Eek! I went back and looked at the story with this in mind. It's not identical, by any means, but I see what TM means.

If it seemed to anyone else like an imitation of Zelazny's famous work, I apologise. I will freely admit that I'm well-acquainted with the novella version of the story (called "He Who Shapes"). I wasn't thinking of Zelazny's tale when I wrote this, but it's always possible that I incorporated some elements from that classic novella quite unconsciously. If so, it would be quite ironic, considering the theme and devices of "He Who Shapes."

So if I echoed Zelazny, however dimly, it wasn't intentional. I hope the (extremely slight) story I posted had enough redeeming qualities to make it worth someone's time.

As for Freud, Jung, Unamuno, Frazer, and the authors of Hamlet's Mill, I freely acknowledge that I am in their debt for certain bits of arcane symbol and reference here. Fortunately they weren't writing fiction. :-] (Although Unamuno wrote some interesting stories and novels besides his famous philosophic work, The Tragic Sense of Life.)

LSN

Comment

Working...
                                X