Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

LSN = H.H.Munro reborn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
    Originally posted by Perdix
    Maybe :D New Scientist...
    Meet the New Scientist!
    Same as the Old Scientist!

Sorry, that just slipped out. :oops:
    well, Old Farts are more likely to be interested in the study aren't they?

Comment

Yes. :lol:

Similarly, old farts are more likely to respond to pointless references to ancient songs from Pete Townsend and The Who.

I've gone ahead and deleted the thread where I posted "The Martian Sojourner." If anyone is extremely interested in reading it, they should send me e-mail. At this point, I'm going to try to persuade Perdix to run it in PX-2, maybe. (Unless he objects to prior publication on MWM. :lol:)

LSN

Comment

I've posted another story, called "The Joke." This story is about 8,000 words, and as such is probably too long for Perdix's magazine. (I haven't managed to negotiate with him on this question yet. He's been too busy with PX-1 to read something this voluminous.)

I've tinkered endlessly with this story. This is the 6th draft, and I'm starting to lose the will to mess with it. That's generally a bad sign, because self-editing becomes difficult at that point.

At any rate, I'd appreciate some informed critical comment.

Man tackar.

LSN

Comment

Comments here in this thread, I suggest.

8000 words! I'll ask for a free day @ the office ...
          Google ergo sum

Comment

L'Etranger and others: don't worry about it. Given the size and complexity of this absurd lump of fictional detritus, I don't really expect any comments, suggestions, or reactions. I posted it "just in case" someone (1) was interested in reading it, and (2) actually was willing to make some comments or suggestions. It is unclear whether this piece will ever be published, either. It's too long for Prototype X, and I'm not sure it's the sort of thing Perdix is looking for, even if it's judged a success.

It's an (intentionally) nasty little story. It is also to some degree a collaboration: my brother-in-law had the initial idea, and we worked it out from there. The last several drafts are to be laid entirely at my door, but the kernel of the story idea, and several sections of the work came from him. I've, ah, "tampered" with the prose throughout, of course.

LSN

Comment

I will probably take "The Joke" off the forum sometime tomorrow. I don't want to leave it posted here because I hope (perhaps without justification) to get it published in PX-(something).

If no one has either the time or inclination to read and comment, don't worry about it. I wasn't really expecting anything to speak of. No big deal.

LSN

Comment

'm afraid I missed that one. I was in mallorca on a movie. (yeah, in majorca. working all the time. d'oh!)
                why delete it?

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                  'm afraid I missed that one. I was in mallorca on a movie. (yeah, in majorca. working all the time. d'oh!)
                  why delete it?

Yes, I complain too that you've already removed the story. Could you mail it to me please then, LSN? Because I can't settle down to read it before dimanche.
                  Google ergo sum

Comment

أ  mordenkainen:

The reason I don't leave the story up for very long is that I worry that to do might be considered "prior publication." If everyone has read it already, why would they get Perdix's magazine to read it? Many magazines will not publish work that has appeared before.

Even after posting work here, I generally make some additional small revisions, so these aren't the final versions, necessarily.

There's also the question of size. Some of my productions are pretty large, and I wouldn't even think of posting them here. There's a 170 page story called The Spirit of Man that I just sent to our luckless sheditor, M. Perdrix; the idea of posting something THAT large makes the mind reel.

أ  L'Etranger:

I can send you a copy, if you'd really like one. I know you're a busy fellow, so I didn't think to inflict it upon you. (That's Perdix's job, as well as a few other friends who like to receive these things.) So since you say you'd like a copy, I'll send one to you later today.

By the way, speaking of Saki, the other night I handed my copy of his complete stories to my daughter with the suggestion that she ought to take a look at "The Reticence of Lady Anne." She did so. I could tell when she reached the conclusion by the sounds I heard coming from her room. (It's only a 3 page story.) Another story I like: "The Interlopers."

LSN

Comment

By the way, mordenkainen, congratulations on the movie work. I understand how hard it can be to get such work. A lot better than working the telephone lines at night, n'est-ce pas?

LSN

Comment

Everyone's going to bloomin' Majorca 'cept moi!

Comment

Isn't that where we're going to have the editorial meeting?

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                            By the way, mordenkainen, congratulations on the movie work. I understand how hard it can be to get such work. A lot better than working the telephone lines at night, n'est-ce pas?

LSN
                            thanks and yes :D

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                              why delete it?
                              I ought to have asked, mordenkainen, whether you also would like to receive a copy of this (probably worthless) story in e-mail? You don't need to, obviously, but you *seemed* to express a certain amount of interest.

If you want to receive a copy, let me know.

LSN

Comment

yes, please do. I can't be of much editorial help, but send it at least for my own pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                                X