Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Prototype X: Help Us Build Gleaming Distribution Networks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: moving product....

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
    HA! Analyze that!

I have now analyzed it and found it to be extremely high in delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol

along with measures of wit and imagination.

I think it might be Art, but we'll need to do further tests.......
    \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

It's Art, Jim, but not as we know it. Berry, that was so fetch. You go, Berry Sizemore. Microsoft took my baby away...

"My computer got diseases from a Chumash tribe!
      The vibe gets kind of scary,
      Like, you think I'm ordinary,
      Like, it's all just temporary,
      Like, your toes are kinda hairy
      But it's all very well
      'Cos, God knows, I'll never tell!"

At the moment there is no outstanding artwork to be scanned (and you can use the word "outstanding" any way you like in that sentence) although I am currently working on a sequel to the "spring cleaning" comic, inspired by my recent image-meltdown-identity-freak-out (or "hair cut contemplation" as it's otherwise known.), so no need to get all Bedford Falls just yet. I do appreciate the concern though. As a back-up plan, I'll start reading some ASCII art tutorials. :D
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Here's a letter that can be used to contact book stores:

Dear (_bookseller_):

I am writing about a new magazine called Prototype X.

Our vision is to progress along the lines of the avant guard science fiction magazine New Worlds that Michael Moorcock edited in the 60s and early 70s. (As a matter of fact, Moorcock will have a story appearing in our first issue). We are going to publish experimental literature, pieces treating science and technology, and also art and comics.

The magazine web site can be viewed here:

www.prototypex.org.uk

As Prototype X combines many genres, it might be placed in any variety of sections: arts, literary, science fiction, new age/alternative, comics, and so on. Or perhaps your bookstore has an independent section?

We would like (_book store name_) to carry this new magazine. What is the next step?

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,

(_name_)

Comment

Carter,

I suggest the letter include a suggestion that the publication would fit well into an independent section. There seems to be bigger margin there for bookstores.
          The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore

I suggest the letter include a suggestion that the publication would fit well into an independent section. There seems to be bigger margin there for bookstores.
            Check. I have made an edit to that effect (see above).

Meanwhile, I have received a positive response from Powells Books in Portland. They need to see a copy, and then we should be good to go.

Um, we need a map and colored pins to track our growing empire? 8)

Comment

Re: moving product....

Originally posted by Carter Kaplan

P.S. In my professional writing course, I conclude the term with a business or technical research project that the entire class collaborates on. This time around I’ve got my students working on the problems associated with new magazine start-up: production, distribution, and forming relationships with advertisers. For example, one question we will pursue is how does one list items at amazon.com? As the central focus of their project, the students are following the development of Prototype X. If anyone has suggestions about specific research that could or should be done, please share your ideas. Thanks!

I'm guessing I am entirely too late to add to this but...

I find a very interesting mix of familiarity and anonymity on the board in general, and this section in particular. This helps create (I would guess) unique editorial and promotional conversations. For instance, here I can refer to our pulisher/ editor, quite informally, as Perdix, which fails to convey the professional nature of the relationship I have entered with an editor. Part of this is the nature of the board, part of it the nature of using aliases, and part of it is the nature of previous, non-editorial interactions.

There may be a research question in there. I'm off the clock (as my semester is now finished), so I refuse to frame one correctly. :D

Ironically, my own academic responsibilities--two thesis defenses, two other thesis committees, and finals--kept me off the board the last two weeks.

Comment

Hi Doc:

We are doing a simple boilerplate business research report. The outline is here:

[link expired]

Ugh, I am on the quarter stystem. I have another four weeks to go. Fortunately there are no thesis committees to sit in on at my new post, though I miss the high drama.

Um, Shamanism Conference?

:)

Comment

I have been in contact with more bookstores. What is the cover price? You know, it is called a magazine, but it seems more like a book to me. High brow art!

Book: 15-17 pounds, or $29.95?

"International" magazine: 7 pounds, or $11.

50/50 consignment? Is this the deal?

How is it to be bound? Is the cover stiffer than paper? I assume it is?

And here is a possible publisher (more to be posted):

http://www.lastgasp.com/

How's the Website coming along? We are being observed!

:twisted:

Mush!

Comment

Yes, cover price...

PX1 will be 'perfect' bound softback A4, with a 'glossy' (stiffer) cover and 160gsm pages (at least in the 'pilot' run) c.100 pages.

50/50 on the consignment is fine...I'm almost tempted to let the shop set their own price! Perhaps we'll decide the cover price when the first issues are done - 'perceived value assesment'? I'm trying to make PX as pro as poss, but it's still a 'shoestring' publication - the Laser printing is good but not as good as I'd like for an 'arthouse' production - better than a lot of mag's, mind...

Cheers for the link!

I need to send Etive some material for the Website...she's done a groovy job of the holding page!

Comment

Art monographs, artists, photography, architecture & c. publishers….

The following is taken from my notebook (I visited The Strand and St. Mark's Books in Manhattan several weeks ago). I haven't tried all the links so there might be some typos. Everyone is welcome to click links and comment on the possibilities. 8)

Assouline Publishing
                      601 West 26th St.
                      18th Flor
                      NYC, 10001
                      www.assouline.com

Phaidon
                      www.phaidon.com

Skira Editore S.p.A.
                      www.skira.net
                      (distributed by:
                      Rizzoli International Publications Inc.
                      300 Park Ave. South
                      NYC 10010)

Thames and Hudson Ltd.
                      181a High Holborn
                      London WCIV 7QR

The Vendome Press
                      1334 New York Ave.
                      NYC 10021

Chronicle Books
                      www.chroniclebooks.com

Actar’s Boogazine (concept) published by:
                      ACTAR
                      Roca I Batlle 2
                      E-08023 Barcelona
                      www.actar.es
                      [email protected]
                      Distribution:
                      [email protected]

Princeton Architectural Press
                      www.papress.com

Loft Publications
                      www.loftpublications.com

daab gmbh
                      www.daab-online.de
                      associated with:
                      Fusion Publishing gmbh
                      www.fusion-publishing.com

Monacelli Press
                      publishes cutting-edge text/graphic conceptual groovy monographs by Rem Koolhaas, as does:
                      Phaeton
                      www.phaeton.de (I tried this--got VW. Is Phaeton the same as "Phaidon"?
                      www.phaidon.com)
                      Also publishes Koolhaas:
                      Taschen
                      http://www.taschen.com/
                      As does:
                      http://www.hatjecantz.de/en_index.php

www.linksbooks.net

Barnes & Noble Books

Mark Batty Publishers
                      www.markbattypublishrs.com

Monacelli Press

Booth-Clibborn Editions
                      www.booth-clibborn.com

Merrll Publishers
                      www.merrellpublishers.com

Prestel Verlag
                      Prestel Publishing
                      D-10629 Berlin

Prestel Verlag
                      Koniginstrasse 9
                      80539 Munich
                      49 89 38 17 09-0 phone
                      49 (89) 38 17 09-35 fax
                      1 (212) 995-2720 (NYC phone)
                      1 (212) 995-2733 (NYC fax)
                      44 (020) 7323 -5004 (London phone)
                      44 (020) 7636-8004 (London fax)
                      www.prestel.com

www.papress.com

www.magasin3.com

Black Dog Publishing Ltd.
                      www.bdp.demon.co.uk

MassMoAC
                      www.masmoca.org

MQ Publications Ltd.
                      www.mqpublications.com

Fireside/Simon & Shuster

Monographics: Series edited by Rick Payner, who is also editor of Eye,
                      a review of graphic design; possible person to contact?
                      Yale University Press with King Publishing Ltd., London
                      www.yalebooks.com

Last Gasp
                      http://www.lastgasp.com/

Affirmation:

May the high-brow, ad hoc, extemporating internet self-illustrating underground take over the glossy, up-market 5thAve/Sloan Square/Monte Carlo/Vadim/Fellini/kiss kiss jet set! A Ferrari in every garage!

Comment

Good work, Agent K!

When do I get my Ferrari? Oh, hang on, I can't have one: I have my own todger. :D

Comment

Working...
                        X