Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Prototype X: Help Us Build Gleaming Distribution Networks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype X: Help Us Build Gleaming Distribution Networks!

The purpose of this thread is to answer the proverbial question: "How do we distribute our wonderful magazine?"

May the genii of merchandising reveal themselves to advance the noble process of our inspired vision.

Hoo-rah!

I've got a good book on it. At least, the book says its a good book. :? I've designed the website for PX1 by the way, but it's a bit crap.... :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by PereDix
      I've designed the website for PX1 by the way, but it's a bit crap.... :lol:
      What is the URL, P? Or... is it still in it's dev stages?
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I've got a good book on it. At least, the book says its a good book. :? I've designed the website for PX1 by the way, but it's a bit crap.... :lol:
        Can we help in something?

Comment

The Prototype-X website will be: (ahem...drum roll...)

prototypex.org.uk

Ta-da! I didn't want it to be 'uk' specifically, but some other devil had nabbed the other 'prototype x' sites...there are some pitchers trying to market a movie idea for a revolutionary warplane called 'Prototype X', which kind of ties in with our aestheto-technical design brief :lol: I hope they get it off the ground.

I haven't uploaded the site, as (a) It's poopy-pants, (b) I haven't received my 'PO Box' number yet. The site is in the form of frontpage (the cover of the current edition); 'explanatory' page (I almost said 'Mission Statement' but thank God avoided it...I'll be doing an 'appraisal' soon, if I'm not careful... :lol: ); three pages of 'samplers'; an order page; a submissions page. That's it.

Comment

Thank GOODNESS you skipped the mission statement! In the United States of Philistine-Committee-Anti-Sanity-Rangers, mission statements are all the rage. "Ve all tink like Deutchlanters here in der homelant! Ja! Ja!" Ah, and this is the one area where the new left and the new right are very much in agreement. "Ja, Ja, Kulture ist kontrolledt by der authorizet bureau. Vee needt more rules! Ja! Ja!"

Does English civilization yet survive anywhere on planet Earth!!!!

Ahem, secure from rant.

Another possibility: Any well-equipped bookstore will have all sorts of fascinating art books with all manner of peculiar material filling the spaces between the covers. These are often architecture books, collections of comics, art, critical essays mixed with art, manifestos, and so on. Now, what are the names of the publishers producing these entertaining volumes? Mmm?

In New York you can find such volumes at St. Mark's Books over on 9th Sreet and 3rd ave. (I think it is), Forbidden Planet (at Broadway and 13th, or is that 14th?) and at either Strand: 12th and Broadway, or in the store in lower Manhattan on Fulton. I'll visit these stores and write down the publishers names when I can make the seven hour drive. If anybody knows who publishes these kinds of books let us know....

PoetGirl, are you in Manhattan?

Comment

You know, Perdix, that several people here do web-page design as part of their jobs -- or hobbies, as the case may be.

Perhaps someone here could assist you with constructing the overall framework of the web site. Obvious possibilities, if they have the time, are PWV and mordenkainen.

LSN

Comment

What's going to be the base cost per issue, Perdix? Maybe آ£15 ? Or less?
                We've got to be able to pay for the costs of production to some degree. The cost of cartridges plus paper for 30-40 print copies would seem to require a price in that range, if I understand what you've said so far.

If we obtain advertising, and a printer, the numbers will change.

The cost of postage is another matter entirely.

LSN

Comment

I'll be doing an 'appraisal' soon, if I'm not careful..
                  So, has there been an Initial Functionality Requirements Assessment for this website yet?

are we looking to do some SEO, maybe produce some ROI?

maybe we should sit down, open our mind doors, see if we can't imagineer an outside-the-box solution to delivering real customer-delight.

TTFN
                  \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

Ah, Der Englische Kultur survives! In my shed! The printer has arrived - all 45kg of it! We are IN BUSINESS! New scanner (higher res') tomorrow, too. Binder next week. Kapow! Current cost-per-issue: آ£58.00! But that will reduce with volume/ future editions...I know, I know...

That nice Etive has offered to help with the website; others welcome! No squabbling.

Carter, don't do a seven-hour trip to Forbidden Planet!!! I've got one about forty minutes away.

So, let's do some Blue Sky thinking here. I'll get my people to call your people, then we'll do lunch sometime. I'll pick you up in the BMW and we can grab a latte before we drown in our own faeces...

Comment

PS> As a keen cyclist, I wouldn't drive a BM if you paid me. Loads.

Comment

I've already made mention of a few online venues, namely shocklines.com and Projectpulp.com respectively. They sell lots of zines through there, including the ever-growing-in-popularity-and-critical-acclaim BARE BONE edited by my friend and Prototype X contributor Kevin L. Donihe. He might, if you email him, give you a few other ideas, Perdix.

In the UK, Back Brain Recluse is the leading distributor of all things SF/F/H and the like. They also do reviews.

That's a good place to start, at least.

Jeff

Comment

I'll buy some for my bookstore when it is released, so you will have someone in Canada supplying it :)

Ken
                          Ken Boorman
                          Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

Thanks, Ken! :D That's great! And cheers, Doom! Good suggestion.

I've set up a Cafepress shop, BTW...just got to dress my shop window and activate the account.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
                              Ah, Der Englische Kultur survives!
                              Right, get those Spits upstairs and clear the skies. I'll swing in below with my flight of Thunderbolts and chop up Jerry on the ground.

In my shed! The printer has arrived - all 45kg of it! We are IN BUSINESS! New scanner (higher res') tomorrow, too. Binder next week. Kapow! Current cost-per-issue: آ£58.00! But that will reduce with volume/ future editions...I know, I know...
                              No problem. We'll sell 'em to all those little dears living lives of quiet desperation in boarding schools all across the free world. Their Kurt Cobain posters have burned out. But Prototype X, now that will get the parents' attention!

Carter, don't do a seven-hour trip to Forbidden Planet!!! I've got one about forty minutes away.
                              Too Late! I am in New York! I'll hit the Strand in Lower Manhattan tomorrow! (then Moma (to see the new building) and then the Met (to see Max Ernst!).

Comment

Working...
                              X