Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Prototype X: Help Us Find Advertisers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype X: Help Us Find Advertisers!

The purpose of this thread is to compare notes as we develop and initiate strategies for signing up advertisers for Prototype X.

Our mantra shall be: "Let us generate funds to distribute Prototype X and pay our starving artists and poets!"

Now let the sales pitch begin!

Here's a possible message we can send to our friends and people in high places. I sent this one to my friend Moldy Marvin, who is the custodian of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's empire, and who has connections in the Kustom Kulture world. Simply adjust it for your audience (fields indicated thus *___*).

I am involved in a new "out there" full-color fantasy/science fiction/literary satire/fine arts magazine called PROTOTYPE X, and I thought I should pass along some information about the project.

Our vision is to progress along the lines of the avant guard science Fiction magazine New WORLDS that Michael Moorcock edited in the 60s and early 70s. (As a matter of fact, Moorcock will have a story appearing in our first issue. Many of you will remember Moorcock as the author of the Elric of Melnibone saga.) We are going to publish lots of great literature, and also lots of cutting-edge art and comics.

We are looking for contributions and advertisers. In our early issues advertising rates are *EL CHEAP-O*. We are looking especially for advertisers who are interested in promoting cool, crafty, alternative kinds of merchandise. For example, we would LOVE to run ads for *Rat Fink/Ed Roth t-shirts, ads for interesting presses like Last Gasp, ads for artists and galleries, and so on (the sorts of thing you see advertised in JUXTAPOZ, or perhaps New Age magazines like GNOSIS).*

You can contact our fearless editor, Darren (AKA Perdix) at the PROTOTYPE X threads here:

[broken link]

You can contact Darren directly here:

[email protected]

*Moldy* (and everyone) please join us, and please pass the word.

Thanks.

Carter Kaplan
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Re: Prototype X: Help Us Find Advertisers!

Originally posted by Carter Kaplan
      Our mantra shall be: "Let us generate funds to distribute Prototype X and pay our starving artists and poets!"
      Merci! :D

Obviously this will probably be an issue that's addressed once an editorial junta has been assembled, but will there be guidelines for the sort of advertising P-X accepts? Sex and violence in the context of a story is one thing, but do the rules change for merchandise? Not only is this a "moral" issue, but also an aesthetic one... I have an allergy to clip-art, you see.

Sorry, not really a suggestion as such, just party-pooping.
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Eh, nice Architeuthis, Carter! I dissected the GI tract of a Scyliorhinus dogfish today to discover a mini squid (plus half a spratt and dozens of nematode worms...uuurgh! I'll wash my hands before I post your copy of PX1...).

Like the advertising spiel...I'd like to offer the facility of actually designing ad's for interested companies - perhaps our artists may be into this? The biggest problem is that PX will have such a small initial circulation - I'll get about thirty copies off of the first press-run, with maybe another thirty-fifty in the folow-up (though, as essentially a POD, it's limited only by the number of Laser cartridges I can afford (آ£300 ($500?) for perhaps 3000-4000 colour pages if I'm lucky - depends on the % colour (a lot, on some pages...) so it's tricky. The use of an outsourced printing facility under the aegis of an 'academic' house as you suggested may be the only way forward if this is a 'successful' project - I think it'll easily outstrip my resources at this rate, with the best will in the world!

Comment

Re: Prototype X: Help Us Find Advertisers!

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer

Obviously this will probably be an issue that's addressed once an editorial junta has been assembled, but will there be guidelines for the sort of advertising P-X accepts? Sex and violence in the context of a story is one thing, but do the rules change for merchandise? Not only is this a "moral" issue, but also an aesthetic one... I have an allergy to clip-art, you see.
          It's Perdix's call, but I agree! I should think advertising fit for P-X must cleverly dovetail with the material of the project. By this understanding, advertising is art, and accepted only because it compliments the feel of the magazine. Reservations such as you express, Dee, are a healthy expression of our sense of purpose, and are all very well! I am gladdened that our very own Perdix is interested in offering to design ads himself. In the meantime, concentrate on landing ads from art galleries, si fi and comic book publishers, obscure rock bands marketing their CDs, vendors of nostalgic t-shirts, persons promoting car shows, candle makers, paper makers, greeting card artists, organic foodstuffs producers, and so on.... Imagine Prototype X being available at concerts, car shows, in art galleries, cozy book shops (and maybe distributed to a book store chain! or news shop chain! drool!); was on the subscription/purchase lists of university libraries and consortia. Right, so let’s write some e-mail!

Of course, who knows? Maybe Lockheed-Martin will offer $100,000 to run a half page ad for a year on the new Ajax-B satellite Mind Control Projector, or the producers of Charlie’s Angels the Movie Part IV will take out a quarter page ad for $50,000....

Just around the time circulation rounds the 250,000 figure!

:lol:

Comment

Originally posted by PereDix
            Like the advertising spiel...I'd like to offer the facility of actually designing ad's for interested companies - perhaps our artists may be into this?
            Ah, all those who write to possible advertisers, please mention this!

The biggest problem is that PX will have such a small initial circulation - I'll get about thirty copies off of the first press-run, with maybe another thirty-fifty in the folow-up (though, as essentially a POD, it's limited only by the number of Laser cartridges I can afford (آ£300 ($500?) for perhaps 3000-4000 colour pages if I'm lucky - depends on the % colour (a lot, on some pages...) so it's tricky.
            Ah, to the e-mail then. Let's assemble that blue ribbon team! Hoorah!

The use of an outsourced printing facility under the aegis of an 'academic' house as you suggested may be the only way forward if this is a 'successful' project - I think it'll easily outstrip my resources at this rate, with the best will in the world!
            Hmm. Hang in there, baby. Let's think this one through.

There is always the possibility of reducing the number of color pages.

Buy printer cartridges on the balck market (what's Frank Cornelius asking?).

Find a publisher?

Maybe we should play the posh card! Bind P-X in hard cover and go up-market! Sell Prototype X to sympathetic highbrows with vast art collections. To the galleries! Make friends in high places!! Someone telephone HRH Charles Windsor! Do we know anyone at Eton? Dee and I will hang out at the Glyndebourne Opera in East Sussex and sell P-X to the toffs as they come out for dinner on the croquet green!

Comment

Like the advertising spiel...I'd like to offer the facility of actually designing ad's for interested companies - perhaps our artists may be into this?
              Ah, all those who write to possible advertisers, please mention this!
              Again, without wishing to be a damp squid (ho ho), as one of the "artists" in question (presumably) there are some things I draw the line at... off the top of my head, there are far too many cartoons of bikini-clad "hot chicks" in the world as it is. I thought they were cool when I was 13, but I'm just bored of seeing them now. I have "hot chick" fatigue. :(

Hmm. Hang in there, baby. Let's think this one through. There is always the possibility of reducing the number of color pages.
              Well, back in ye olde days when Perdix was simply nailing stories to trees, I "cross-hatched" the illustrations for balck and white printing (assuming that was how he'd be using them. Then he asked me to colour them in, and I did, but I've kept to the same "cross-hatched" style ever since then... so all of my illustrations should (theoretically) work in black and white.

Comment

Ah, how simple it was then (last year)! A laminator and some drawing pins were all the outlaw artiste required, and a fence or tree 'pon which to bung his work...

Hmmm. Hot Chick Fatigue. Mmmmm. :P

Comment

The following was tugging at me last night:

Could Prototype X donante advertising space to charity organizations, and then deduct the value of that donated advertising from taxes?

Less see, what was that--250,00 pounds for a half-page ad? You could deduct a quarter of a million pounds from your taxes, Perdix, and then the government would owe YOU money. And that's just one ad!

Comment

Oddly, the Govt do owe me money this year (albeit about 1/100th of the proposed amount...) although they haven't paid me yet...I love my accountant. So, yes, tax-relief is a welcome concept. My expenditure on the project so far (pre-printing) is...آ£2130.00! Bleep! But I shall martyr myself to the cause...no, no don't thank me...just remember it after I am gone (about three weeks time, due to software fatigue...) :lol:

Comment

Couldn't we get money from someone if we promise not to mention him in PX?

Or could Sir Elton John perhaps channel some of his gains made at his next sell-out auction into our heavenly project? I don't have his address, but would write him in this matter if you'd find it AND consent we publish the lyrics of "Candle in the Wind" again on the back of PX ...
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

Well, I for one salute you Perdix... with a swiss roll in my hand, and a song in my heart...

"Goodbye ginger tom
                        May you ever piddle on our grass
                        You were the grace that placed itself
                        Where sofas were torn apart
                        You called out for your din-dins
                        And you purred at those in pain
                        Now you belong in the garden
                        And the sparrows spell out your name...

Comment

>sob!< That was so beautiful. Almost worth getting squashed in a Merc in a Paris underpass for :D

Comment

Here's a revised letter/e-mail to send to potential advertisers.

Join the team! Send one today!

To whom it may concern:

I am involved in a new full-color literature/arts/technology magazine called Prototype X, which I believe to be an appropriate advertising venue for (_company/organization name_).

Our vision is to progress along the lines of the avant guard science fiction magazine New Worlds edited by Michael Moorcock in the 60s and early 70s. (As a matter of fact, Moorcock will have a story appearing in our first issue). We are going to publish experimental literature, pieces treating science and technology, and also art and comics.

The magazine web site can be viewed here:

www.prototypex.org.uk

We are actively seeking advertisers. In our early issues advertising rates are very inexpensive, and our editor, Darren Partridge is offering advertisement design assistance.

You can contact Darren here:

[email protected]

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,

(_name_)

Comment

Er...I'm not sure how attractive fifty copies every six months will be... :D

Comment

Working...
                              X