Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Perdix's Protocols of Appropriate Exclamation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perdix's Protocols of Appropriate Exclamation

Following on from our ratification of the 'AAA'* definition of correct expiratory utterances of comic-book soldiers, I propose to formulate a synthesis of exclamatory phraseology suitable to the diverse scenarios and applications pertaining in graphic literature (and, hence, reality).

I shall start things off with:

Yaroo(h)! the explosive bisyllabic suitable to both (a) the toe precipitately placed into an excessively hot bath, and (b) the impact of bamboo-derived flagellative disciplinary implement against either or both glutei maximi. (Note: Farquarson postulate of 1954 suggested applicability to canid assault upon buttocks [unconfirmed])

Further entries are most welcome.

*AAA: 'Aargh! Ach! Aieee!'

Very neatly done indeed.

I'd like to see more. Are such flashes of brilliance to be placed randomly in and around the pages of Prototype X?

Comment

Aheeeeem! --interjection-- noise made to cover up the fact you just sat on a live hand-grenade using your steel helmet as a blast cover. Useful as a means of maintaining decorum when your fellow soldiers play the old 'put-the-frag-grenade-on-his-seat-before-he-sits-down' joke on you. As Sgt. Ironside used to say, "never let the bastards see you in pain..."

Comment

'...or with half an ass'. Yes, a splendidly expressive vocalisation, with that [/i]joie de la derriere that leads me ineluctably on to...

Hum - the olfacto-textual codification indicating an object or scenario of significant odour, eg:
        character recently emerged from submersion in sewage farm filtration pit following parabolic arc, usually subsequent to some form of pursuit or horseplay; eg2: a pavement-residing faex. Generally accompanied by sinusoidal line-graphics of various lengths emanating from a central origin and stylised representations of the genus Musca.

I'm not sure these should go in PX...but then...

Comment

Ee-YAH - The sound uttered when a sharp implement, fusiform yet tapering, unexpectedly and fortuitously penetrates the cornea, liberating thereby the vitreous humour, and in the process leaving the victim in an impaired sensory state comparable to that of a visually compromised, ground-dwelling -- not to say hypogeal -- mustelid.

I know, it "beats a sharp stick in the eye."

LSN

Comment

BrughhhERRPsplurrrrr! The sound a 24 of beer makes after being forcefully ejected after an extended "debriefing" session at the local. Best results are achieved when combined with a large curry dinner beforehand...

Notice I'm being alphabetical... :lol:

Comment

Nothing can beat the SPONG! as Chester P Hackenbush started to trip out in Brainstorm Comix.

Failing that could I suggest woorrungwoorungweeringggrrrrrungwhoooorungheweeeee eyurgh... as a depiction of the infamous 'roller-coaster effect' when imprudent amounts of cheap nasty scrumpy and several bongloads of the Herb of Righteousness are consumed in the wrong order to strains of 'the Space Ritual'. I remember it well...
              \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Aah! This is quite piquant! How sad that the tapestrists of the Bayeaux panorama didn't think of a voice-bubble for poor old Harold!

Comment

EEEAAAGH! - The proper exclamation when one's tongue has been shredded by any of a number of small, taloned mammals...

...because no discussion of onomatopoeia is complete without invoking the name of the late and great Don Martin!!!
                  "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                  --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Excellent! Particularly effective when printed between shrinking-perspective french-curve guides for the lettering, and in that raggedy-edged Scarfe-type font. EEEEEAAAAArrgghhh[size=7]hhhhhh!

Comment

A contribution from mordenkainen:

AAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHH - The exclamation that escapes one's lips involuntarily upon encountering Dee's current avatar, and being overcome by the horror that springs from noticing the eldritch manner in which it periodically blinks.

LSN

Comment

FLUT!

This is the sound, believe it or not, of one's heavenly robes falling down over one's head as one dangles upside-down:

EXAMPLE HERE
                        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Yes!

reminds me of..

Fwit! The sound of a rebel Mexican bullet creasing the bough of a tree altogether too adjacent to one's bonce.

Comment

SPUNG!

According to Robert Heinlein, the sound of a person's nipples make when they become erect. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Typhoid_Mary
                              SPUNG!

According to Robert Heinlein, the sound of a person's nipples make when they become erect. :lol:
                              I think I've known only a few girls for whom this could be said to be true.

LSN

Comment

Working...
                              X