Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Custom Elric 12" action figure/doll (lots of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Elric 12" action figure/doll (lots of pics)

Hi everybody,

I posted this on some of the 1/6 hobby forums. I was really nervous posting this here, I hope you guys like it. Any comments are welcome.

My version of Elric is based on the first book, 'Elric of Melnibonأ©', shortly after he found the black sword Stormbringer. Here he is wearing his wearing his royal black Melnibonأ©an battle armour and his signature dragon helmet.

Thanks for looking.

My inspiration for the figure design came not from one source, but from many sources: from the novel descriptions to a wide range of artist impressions ranging from the classic Robert Gould book covers, to Japanese "bishonen boy" interpretations and even fan art (particularly, an artist named Janet Chou).

I built the armor from scratch using styrene, heat, apoxie and a vacuum cleaner that really sucks. Then painted the pieces with Tamiya metallic acrylics and sealed with a gloss coat.

Yep, the armour is completely removable.

Almost everything about this figure is scratch built.

"The Ring of Kings"

To make him an albino, I sprayed his body and face with very light coats of Tamiya white primer. I wanted to be able to see the natural flesh tone underneath and thus create a sort of a translucent effect. Then sealed the body w/ Testors Dull Cote. I painted the face details with acrylics.

cheers,
    Doc T

Fantastic!

Is it fair to say that this is one of a kind? No plans to mass produce?
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

8O

Wow. Just... wow.

That is really, really good work, DocT! That Stormbringer replica is great!

Welcome to MWM, by the way! :D
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Doctor T:

The delicate features are very impressive and, to my eye, are very very accurate. That is young Elric! From the pics I can almost suspect the hands are sculpted, but the face is pristine. Very nice touch you have! Is the figure sculpted around an armiture?

And nice scratch-building job on the armor and sword.

I enjoy looking at (and building) models. Thanks for sharing your work!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
          Is it fair to say that this is one of a kind? No plans to mass produce?
          One of a kind, I'm just a hobbyist and I did this is for my personal collection for fun. I read the books in my teens in the 80's during my D&D phase. So doing Elric in 1/6 scale was a fun project for me.

Originally posted by Carter Kaplan
          Is the figure sculpted around an armiture?
          I can't claim credit for the body and head (except for the painting and hair styling). The base body came from a Volks doll "Neo Goh Guy".
          http://www.volks.co.jp/en/index.aspx

cheers,
          Doc T

Comment

Wow! 8O

Great work, DoctorT!

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
              8O Wow. Just... wow.
              You said it!!

That's incredible... totally incredible. I'm getting a headache just thinking about how much work and skill must have gone into Stormbringer alone. That's plastic genius, right there!

Congratulations on a beautiful piece of work, and thank you for posting the photos.
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

awesome.

Comment

Just have to add my note of congratulations too - a job VERY well done!

Ken
                  Ken Boorman
                  Purveyor of the Runestaff and Stormbringer Legends

Comment

*speechless.* truly. WOW!!!! 8O

ehm... i guess there'd be no point putting this one on my Christmas list?

the details, esp. the sword, are VERY cool.

okay, folks. we found our stop-action Elric for the movie, eh? :twisted:

Comment

It is just wunderbar,
                      encroyable, una maravilla, batt'am tiruno ! I'm very impressed!
                      L'Etranger
                      Google ergo sum

Comment

I've been lurking around here for a few months, doing research for this figure and I just want to say I think this site is fantastic, and the community is very knowledgable and nice! Thanks again folks, it really means a lot coming from the real knowledgable Elric readers on Mr. Moorcock's own site. :D I've also noticed some of you are really great artists, which humbles me even more.

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                        I'm getting a headache just thinking about how much work and skill must have gone into Stormbringer alone.
                        It's not so bad when it's a labour of love. ;) I'm a HUGE Moorcock/Elric fan and I knew the more I put into it, the more I'd get out of it. Even as is, I think there's more I can do to add or improve. Heh, I think these types of projects never really get "finished".

And so I made the clothes and armor easily removable so that I could make adjustments and/or tweaks later, as well so I can do different Elric outfits in the future, like court robes or something like that. Still lots for me to learn though.

Simple armour breakdown

Again, a lot of armour pieces were greatly inspired by Janet J.E. Chui's painting.

Originally posted by Poetgrrl
                        okay, folks. we found our stop-action Elric for the movie, eh? :twisted:
                        :lol:

Cheers,
                        Rob

Comment

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth--BLOODY FANTASTIC!!--and very, very 8) ...

With talent like that, you should mass produce this stuff--I can think of a lot a kids who would be delirious to find something like that under their Christmas tree... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Marc
                            I can think of a lot a kids who would be delirious to find something like that under their Christmas tree... :)
                            Yeah... me, for one. I'd fork out a decent number of clams for a doll like that. But then, a generic Volks Dolphie isn't cheap to begin with.
                            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by Marc
                              With talent like that, you should mass produce this stuff--I can think of a lot a kids who would be delirious to find something like that under their Christmas tree... :)
                              Thanks, you're too kind sir. Of course, for me it would be really cool if I could find a way to mass produce this figure somehow. Personally I wouldn't mind doing it, especially for the people who would really appreciate it. I wouldn't do it for profit, I'd just want cover my costs.

But before I even think of how it can be done, I'm no lawyer, but I think there are legal issues like licensing or some sort of permission from Mr. Moorcock.

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                              But then, a generic Volks Dolphie isn't cheap to begin with.
                              Totally. Heh, it took me a little while to get over Volks sticker shock. When I bought the unpainted head for $15 I thought it came with the body (which is not bad) - but then I found out that the body is separately priced at $30. So $45 for an unpainted nude dolfie (plus shipping in my case). I usually work with high quality Dragon and BBI bodies and I can get them for $6-10 with painted head. But to me the tall/slender Volks body and pretty boy head was a perfect match for Elric imho. Even then I had to modify his right hand to be able hold the sword on it's own.

cheers,
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X