Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Hey Francophones! Help me out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Francophones! Help me out...

I was just turned on to an interesting musical duo called Stereo Total. Their singer, Franأ§oise Cactus (who is definitely not hard to look at), sings in French for the most part. I listen to the music even though I have no idea what it's about.

If any of you French-speakers have the time and interest, would you please listen to this song and just give me a slight idea what it's about? I really like it and would love to know what I'm hearing. No need for a complete translation, just the gist.

I do know the title, "L'amour أ، 3", has the word for "love" in it, but that doesn't tell me much. For the love of three? Wha?

Here's a link to a page where you can hear more of their music:

http://www.killrockstars.com/bands/f...s/stereototal/
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

" L'amour أ  3 " actually means something like "3-player love" :lol:

Comment

Yes. Literally, the expression translates as something like, "Love for three," but the meaning is as mordenkainen described it. It is similar in its implications to the well-known expression (used in English) "mأ©nage أ  trois."

I'm unacquainted with the song, or I'd be willing to help on that score. Do you have the lyrics? (I'm not using Windows media players or anything nasty of that sort, so text might work better.)

LSN

Comment

the song is about how much she likes to do it with two guys, and her reasons for this. like, when one falls asleep, the other one can take care of her, four-handed caresses etc.
        can't listen to it too much now cause I'm working. I'll post more details later if you like

Comment

Oh, I take it the lady in question is a "naughty" girl. :lol:

By the way, I assume her last name isn't really "Cactus." That sounds very un-French, and suspiciously like a rather silly stage name.

LSN

Comment

Yeah, Cactus is a stage name and pen name. I believe her real last name is von Hove.

Wow. I had no idea the song was going to turn out all dirty. Guess I should have known considering the one song they do in English (that I found) is called "I Am Naked." :P

Comment

[Dee is suddenly roused from his mid-afternoon nap]

What's that you say? French brunettes singing about being naked? Are you sure you haven't found an internet link directly into my day-dreams?

Get out of my head!!! (I certainly intend to)

:D
              "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
                [Dee is suddenly roused from his mid-afternoon nap]

What's that you say? French brunettes singing about being naked? Are you sure you haven't found an internet link directly into my day-dreams?
                "Thou hast nor youth nor age,
                But, as it were, an after-dinner's sleep,
                Dreaming on both"

LSN

Comment

Yeah, it's a great song! I love her French accent, especially the way she says, "It's just my birthday suit." (It's joost my b-yurth-dee S-yoot.)

Did you go download the song(s), Dee? I think you'll dig 'em, even if you don't speak French.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                    Did you go download the song(s), Dee? I think you'll dig 'em, even if you don't speak French.
                    To be honest, I have a rare medical condition which makes it impossible for me to enjoy any music that doesn't feature electric guitars. Strange but true. Not really my cup of absinthe I'm afraid, although it was quite funny... "I am naked, so what!", etc.
                    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Fair enough. I certainly don't consider Stereo Total everyday listening music, but it is cute and fun, which suits me perfectly at times.

If there's one thing I am, it's musically eclectic. I enjoy just about everything except free-form jazz and gangsta hate-rap.

Comment

PWV,

I went looking for the lyrics for the song you mentioned and found the following. It is pretty much as mordenkainen described it. If you want a line-by-line translation, let me know.

I was struck by the exhibitionism of the line where she says she cries it from the rooftops. The humor of calling it "communist" tickled my sense of the absurd.

Compare and contrast with David Crosby's silly / serious "Triad" from the early '70s. Crosby approached the idea with such earnestness that it was slightly risible; he distracted us with his heavy use of minor-9th chords and other interesting musical flora.

No earnestness for La Cactus; she's basically clowning around.

---
                        Note that I still have not heard the song in question.

LSN

---
                        Originally posted by Mademoiselle 'Cactus'
                        Moi ce que j'aime
                        c'est faire l'amour
                        spأ©cialement أ  3
                        je sais c'est dأ©modأ©
                        أ§a fait hippie complet
                        mais je le crie sur les toأ®ts
                        j'aime l'amour أ  3

moi ce que j'adore
                        c'est les petits
                        caresses أ  4 mains
                        si l'1 des 2 s'endort
                        l'autre s'occupe de moi
                        ouh! voila l'amour أ  3

ouuuuuh ... j'aime l'amour a 3 ...

moi ce que j'aime...

c'est sexy, extatique, crazy, excentrique,
                        animal, romantique, c'est communiste

ouuuuuh ... j'aime l'amour a 3 ...
                        vive l'amour a 3!

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                          It is pretty much as mordenkainen described it. If you want a line-by-line translation, let me know.
                          Well, if you feel like it, that's cool. I get the gist, though. I could always Bablefish the lyrics, too.

You can download the mp3 free at the link I gave above, if you want to hear it. It's pretty good music. Not all of their stuff is as cool, but "L'amour أ، 3" is really good. Were it in English (and not so risquأ©), it could be a hit here in the states, I think.

"Communist" was the only word I picked up on at first. :P

Comment

..which could hardly help you with the overall meaning...

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                              Yeah, it's a great song! I love her French accent, especially the way she says, "It's just my birthday suit." (It's joost my b-yurth-dee S-yoot.)
                              So the lady went to the Inspecteur Clouseau School of Elocution? This looks like a job for Bicycle Repair Man -- or perhaps D. Crosier and the "Queen's English." How he managed to come into possession of the Queen's English is a story for which the world is not yet ready. :lol:

Really, this stuff about French accents must be an American thing, because I've heard it so many times. Many people claim to "love" the sound of a French accent, especially in the case of women. Perhaps it's because (for whatever reason) French women have an unjustified reputation in the U.S. for being easy. Don't get your hopes up too high, boys, is all I'll say on the subject.

My own reaction to the attitude towards French accents, female or otherwise, is mostly "so what," but there you are.

(I'd lost most of my accent by the time I was 10. Now I come from nowhere. )

From the sampling of photographs I saw, Mademoiselle Cactus appears to be a heavy smoker. This I find not at all appealing -- bad odours and tastes and all.

(I know, Dee, you'll say, "Just kiss lower," right? :?)

Kirk, I sent you a line-by-line quick translation of the song. The song is mildly amusing, but not startlingly so, as you'll see.

LSN

Comment

Working...
                              X