Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

How would one respond...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would one respond...

... to an e-mail such as this:

"can u send me?, cartoons of brody dalle
    hi, y see your cartoon trhow google, i really like your cartoon, well.. i love brody
    i'm argentino thanks"

I'm not sure I even understand the request... and, being a deeply ignorant man, I have no idea which language an "argentino" would feel most comfortable with. So, I might not respond at all... but out of curiosity, how could you respond to an e-mail like that?
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

An Argentino speaks Argentine Spanish. If you know the language, you can respond appropriately. Since the writer knows English (to some degree), my advice is to respond in simple, straightforward English without rhetorical or ironic flourishes, IF you want to reply.

The person is obviously a fan who would like you to send some of your pictures of "Brody Dalle" (whoever the hell that is).

You aren't, of course, required to reply unless you want to do so.

LSN

Comment

I think that would translate to " I found your cartoons through google" ... wow... I dunno how well your site ranks for a "brody dalle picures" query but ... I'd say the guy deserves to be emailed a couple scans.
      Or maybe he wants to buy an original?

Comment

Oh, personally I would respond to this, too...the idiom is charming! (He says patronisingly, understanding all of three words of Spanish...). Mordenkainen is right to suggest that you could bung him a couple of piccies. Told you that you were international standard, didn't we? :D

Have you thought about really gearing your site up for purchasing 'prints' of your work? PayPal a/c, all that jazz? You could take commissions if you felt that way inclined...I'd buy 'em! In fact, I'm rather worried about how attractive I find your Parachutist Una Persson.... :?

Mind you, I've got another heap of stories in need of your and PWV's graphical treatment so don't unchain yourself from that desk yet! :lol:

World-domination beckons...

Comment

On this subject, I've received a helpful e-mail that I think could help with my pear-tree husbandry and topiary. It says: 'Enlarge Girth and Leng...'

Oh, hang on...

Comment

I'm with P and m. You should reply. Having an art site myself, I know what it's like to get this sort of e-mail. I've gotten requests for explanations of how I did certain things with Photoshop. I reply every time. It's about connecting with your fans. 8)

Also, in collecting pix for the Image Gallery, I've had to ask lotsa people for permission to post their art here -- people ranging from hobbyists to professionals like Frank Brunner. I always appreciate it when an artist responds to my e-mail, even when they're a struggling cartoonist from Dorset. :D

Originally posted by Perdix
            Have you thought about really gearing your site up for purchasing 'prints' of your work? PayPal a/c, all that jazz? You could take commissions if you felt that way inclined...I'd buy 'em!
            Yes! Listen to this man! I sell prints, as well as t-shirts, lunchboxes, mouse-pads, thong undies -- you name it -- through my website(s). I don't have to do anything but create the product online and collect my checks. I do it through CafePress and Zazzle. I have not been paid in any way to post the previous paragraph.

CafePress is a lot more versatile, but I list stuff at both just to be thorough. Oddly, I've collected more money over time from my stuff at Zazzle. Go figure.

Of course, they make most of the money (they also do most of the work) but you can still make a decent income if your designs sell well. You have the ability to adjust your margin/profit, so it's not as if you have no control.

Anyway, send the guy some cartoons of Brody Dalle, then tell him you'll have t-shirts available soon.
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
              I dunno how well your site ranks for a "brody dalle picures" query but ?
              Actually, if you type "Brody Dalle" in to the Google image search, one of my little cartoons is the 12th picture on the first page! That's a pretty good ranking. I think a fan site linked to me as well...

Originally posted by mordenkainen
              ... I'd say the guy deserves to be emailed a couple scans. Or maybe he wants to buy an original?
              Well, that's what I'm not sure about. I don't like having to negotiate sales at the best of times, but if there's a language barrier as well, it might all get a little confusing. The only pictures I could e-mail would be the ones from the site, that he's already seen... but thrice the size. So, I could send him a few of those and see what happens. But if I go to Argentina some day and find everyone walking around in Brody Dalle shirts, ripped off from my cartoon, I'll be a very angry Dee.

Originally posted by Perdix
              Have you thought about really gearing your site up for purchasing 'prints' of your work? PayPal a/c, all that jazz?
              I have considered it, but... er... I haven't done anything about it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                I reply every time. It's about connecting with your fans. 8).
                Oh, okay then. I don't really think this chap would call himself a "fan", but you've talked me into it!

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
                I sell prints, as well as t-shirts, lunchboxes, mouse-pads, thong undies -- you name it -- through my website(s)
                The one thing I worry about is whether I'm legally allowed to merchandise cartoons of famous people. Obviously I can't put Elric on a tee, but I'm not sure about the others... I'd have to come up with some original designs really, wouldn't I? And they'll have to be quite minimalistic, because my computer can't handle large, high-res pictures. Also, I'll have to ask about cashing "foreign checks" at my local bank. But those are some very interesting links. Thank you! :)

Comment

Working...
                X