Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Non-Linear Event Conjunction Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Linear Event Conjunction Story

Although I don't have time to participate, I came up with an idea for a multi author submission for Prototype.

The numbers I present here are arbitrary.

Let's say that 4 writers crack out ~500 word short that has 3 common key events. Each submitted story would have to have those key events occurring at some point in the story. The order wouldn't be mandatory, but the events would in some way conjoin the disparate stories.

The challenge of this piece is to agree upon the key events, but not to compare notes on the stories themselves.

I guess I'm commissioning any volunteers.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Interesting. I'm up for it.

Comment

This sounds interesting. 500 words is short enough not to be intimidating to the casual scribbler yet meaty enough to spin a small yarn. Perhaps the events could be expanded to 3 common story elements or motifs, or would that complicate things?

Mmmm...

A betrayal, a rose, and a memory?
      A skein, a duel, and a regret resolved?

Or more lightheartedly...

A Tesco store, 3 sardonic witches, and a checkout clerk at the centre of an ancient prophecy?

Perhaps we could structure it one event/element chosen by each participant and 150 words per element, participants 3-5, overall length 450 - 750 words?

Forgive me if I'm morphing your original concept too much Berry - it's a sign of enthusiasm, that your project concept has sparked ideas in my mind.

Comment

This first piece would be a test. I was thinking that it would be more challenging to have three events that participants would bring their characters, motifs and etc. to. The question being, can three events join 3 or more stories coherently. The less cohesion there is between pieces, a la sans motifs, the more interesting the conjunctions are to be.

But I really like where you're going in your thinking and find that I would like the ideas. Isn't there room for one or more varied attempts at this? I'd say yes! Perhaps each team could decide the format of their challenge.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Sorry Berry I think I went off on a bit of a tangent, trying to formalise things too much. We should stick to your plan, which seems more multi-applicable.

Comment

Just using my 500th post to suggest perhaps we could have a non-linear event conjunction itself as one of the events for our tale.

Woohoo! Now I'm an EC! 8) :D

Comment

Very appropriate topic for elevation to EC, Mouser.

If I understand correctly, perhaps one of the aims would be to see if we could connect three different events by telling three different stories that incorporate three different points of view on the connecting events.

I like it. I would be interested...

If I prove I can play well with others I'll even try one of LSN's verse challenges, even though I'm no poet. Come to think of it, I'm no writer either :)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                If I prove I can play well with others I'll even try one of LSN's verse challenges, even though I'm no poet. Come to think of it, I'm no writer either :)
                Neither of these conditions have stopped anyone so far -- certainly not ME!

The trick with the verse challenges is just to see if one can bring the project to completion. Let's not talk about the quality of performance, please, or I shall have some explaining to do. :oops:

LSN

Comment

Working...
                X