Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Prototype X Copyright thingie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype X Copyright thingie

Perdix & Co.

I understand that people will retain their copyright. I wonder if the Creative Commons licensing would be helpful to anyone, particularly the publication. I throw this out with the intent to learn from those who know so much more than I.

http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

I was going to raise the topic re:my submission, that is if I ever manage to finish the piece I'm working on. futile concern: Perdix, can you print the copyleft (inverted c in a circle) symbol?

Comment

D'you know, I've been looking for that pesky li'l (c) too...I know one can print it, but I can't remember how...I'm working on it. Alternatively, I was going to put: 'This piece copyright Joe Bloggs 2004: So GET YOUR THIEVING HANDS OFF YOU PLAGIARISING SHITBAG!!! WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE' but I wasn't sure if it conveyed the same gravitas...

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
        D'you know, I've been looking for that pesky li'l (c) too...I know one can print it, but I can't remember how...I'm working on it.
        I seem to recall you are on a PC, not a Mac. If so, try this: hold down your 'alt' key and typing 0169, then release 'alt'. That will create for you the آ© symbol.

Originally posted by mordenkainen
        ...can you print the copyleft (inverted c in a circle) symbol?
        This would probably require a special font or manipulation of the copyright symbol in a graphics editor. I'd personally prefer to use the copyright symbol instead, since the copyleft, while very nifty, has no recognized legal meaning.

As a sidenote, I participated in a creativity contest recently, explained here in which I utilized the copyleft to win this cool pin:

It's Creative Commies pin (by William Spears Design) and is a prized possession. :) I won it by creating a photo-manipulation of Bill Gates wearing a superhero outfit with the Creative Commies logo on the chest, which can be seen here. I chose this imagery because Bill Gates was the impetus to the Creative Commies logo being created in the first place with his comment: "There are some new modern-day sort of communists who want to get rid of the incentive for musicians and moviemakers and software makers under various guises." So, I thought it would be cool to make a pic of him as "Captain Creative".
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Fanks, Mr PWV: very handy. Well-deserved badge :D , too!

Comment

Perdix,

Are you using Windows or something else? Windows has this little tiny program called "Character Map" it's in the program files under Acessories and then System tools. It allows creates all sort of symbols and letters that can be easily cut and pasted into any word processing program.

If you're not using Windows... well then... good luck!

Jeff

Comment

I am, it does, and I thank you. Cool!

Comment

Aha! And it's on my 'insert' thing on 'Word'...my genius wife showed me that!

Comment

Brilliant Editor, me... :lol:

Comment

Also, those "alt+number" shortcuts I mentioned above are all given inside the Character Map in the bottom right corner. Select a character and it will show you the 10-key shortcut...

Alt + 0233 makes the أ©, which people need to use to spell Melnibonأ© correctly. :P
                    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

To Perdix:

Sent you an e-mail. I just realized that I attached my word documents with just my initials at the bottom. that's how i sign everything, because everybody that i show my writing to knows who i am.

if you need me to re-submit the stuff with my name and the (c) sign, no prob. otherwise, my full name is in the e-mail if you could tack them on to the stuff i sent to you?

Thank you.

Signed,
                      Sheepish. ;)

PS: WAY WAY WAY excited about this!! *goes back to trying to be calm*

Comment

Cheers, PG!

And you think you're excited!?!

I've poo'ed me pants. :lol:*

*Not really.

Comment

Good point, though....

>Ahem<

Can any contributors that did NOT sign their name to their submission(s) please send me a mail WITH signature, or drop me a statement to the effect that the submitted piece is their original work and copyright? Please. Ta.

I'll post that up elsewhere, too.

Comment

Working...
                          X