Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

PROTOTYPE X - the mag, part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROTOTYPE X - the mag, part II

Prototype X discussion, part II. The initial salvo in Perdix's assault on decorum and the arts may be found by consulting this [broken link]THREAD

Continuing discussion and raillerie concerning Perdix's Prototype X magazine may continue in this thread. The old thread was getting pretty big.

LSN
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 02:11 PM.

So, I guess it's confirmed that Mike will be contributing a story. I keep pinching myself and it keeps hurting, yet I still feel as if it's a lucid dream.

Oh, by the way, for those just joining us, the original thread that started this whole thing is [broken link]HERE.
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-08-2010, 02:11 PM.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Mike has just mailed me to say that the piece, of circa 2,500 words, is almost ready! Hurrah! What a splendid fellow! I'm just off to the Bureau de Change to see what that converts to in Tesco Value Swiss Rolls...I suppose he'll want a chocolate orange, too :roll:

Comment

Time to set up the Paypal account, I suspect.

Let's see, 2500 words, at the standard 7 cents per word rate is $175US. Even after subtracting shipping costs, that's a LOT of Swiss Rolls. :lol:

LSN

Comment

You guys given any thought to the approach to illustrating Mr. Moorcock's story? I suggested Dee and PWV find some way to share the honor, but what do I know. I suspect Dee & PWV can come up with a better idea of how to do this than I can. And Perdix will doubtless weigh in at some point.

Looking forward to the galleys, not only so I can make a few small verbal corrections, but so I can get my first look at the placement of the art in the text. I've seen 2 of Dee's illustrations for my work, but I don't know if that's all. I suppose I'll find out.

LSN

Comment

Subject to permission...I was planning to do a DCS and a PWV illo for the MM piece. They have both produced some great work and have the right aesthetic handle for PX (I think!) - there will be some photographic elements too but not necessarily associated with any particular piece...remember, folks, that I'm going for a fairly 'clean' and uncluttered look for PX1, but I'm subject to evolutionary pressure... :D

Comment

Just curious: has the load of illustration work swamped both Dee & PWV?

It seems to me that it could turn into a big sink of time and energy.

For the next issue of Prototype X, do we need to bring a 3rd illustrator "online"?

Another idea: Perdix, you suggested you might have a solution for getting covers suitable for thermal binding. Since I'm a fan of well-made books, this sounds good to me. A question arises: if you have a softcover book, would you want to produce a "dust jacket" with art? I know this might not work, and it might not even be desirable. I was just sending up an idea and seeing if it would fly or plummet...

LSN

Comment

Aye, I'm fair tetchy o' o'erloadin' the poor wee bairns wi' too much scribblin', the noo. Sorry, just been in fake-Scottish character dialogue mode (sideline project). Yes, I worry about them slaving away on drawings and graphics; I was only saying to my eighteen-year-old Latvian au pair editorial assistant, Rubella, this morning, in between sips of cappuccino on the terrace whilst she massaged my ears: 'Am I driving them too hard, do you think?', to which she replied breathily; 'Yeah. Don't worry about it'. So I didn't. But I guess it could get pretty heavy; I'm open to other artists too, of course - 'though the Two are doing a cracking job, must be said.

Re: covers. I'm looking at 'Perfect' binding, too, but the same issues apply: the A4, fairly hefty format of PX may still suit wire-binding best. I'll experiment - right now I'm in the balance between a massive upgrade of my 'independent' printing press vs. out-sourcing to a good POD commercial unit...and the binding decision will depend largely on which way I go. I still like the idea of being able to make small alterations easily (I may even go so far as to make each copy subtly unique...) but it really depends on how 'successful' this project becomes - I get a bit enthusiatic about promotion, so I can see the print-run being a leetle bitty longer than I first thought, especially given certain developments...We'll see.

Comment

(Scottish dialect mode)

"Ay, yer a vairy clever chil', mon, but ye'd still be none the worse for hangin'."

As for your au pair editorial assistant, Rubella, I take it her enthusiasm for the job is practically contagious? And what other services does she provide? :lol:

The problem for Perfect binding is that the equipment is very much more expensive than that for thermal binding. As in "absurdly" more expensive. If you can experimentally produce a few copies, you should know whether thermal binding will work or not.

The cost of going to a good POD commercial unit worries me a bit. If it looks as if we will get over 1000 orders, perhaps that would be best, but there goes your independent/maverick publisher reputation.

How to order the books over the Internet is another question we haven't yet answered. :?

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                    Just curious: has the load of illustration work swamped both Dee & PWV?
                    Naaaaaah. I have ADHD. It's all about finding the benefits of one's disorder. Plus, hyperactive people need stuff to do. Nothing so painful as boredom.

Originally posted by Perdix
                    Aye, I'm fair tetchy o' o'erloadin' the poor wee bairns wi' too much scribblin'...
                    When I first read that, I thought it said Dee and I had "wee brains". Then I realized it actually said... wait a sec... Perdix, did you call us children? Then you won't mind me submitting my artwork done in crayon. :P
                    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
                    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

I thought it was done in crayon? Sorry, Rubella? Oh, that's his style....I see... :lol:

Joking! No! Really! Jo-king! Oh, God...

Comment

Have you given any thought to publishing it through CafePress.com?

Comment

Ooh, no. I'll go and have a look...

Comment

Originally posted by TheAdlerian
                            I finished my damn story!
                            Great. Send it to Perdix Imperator ASAP.

LSN

Comment

Huzzah, Adlerian!

I am putting on extra-damp underwear in anticipation... :D

Comment

Working...
                              X