Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Visual Art in the UK: Happy Posters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual Art in the UK: Happy Posters

Hey, you who are in the UK! Have you been seeing any "Happy Posters" around lately? I'm talking about this right here.

Evidently, you can see them in Bath, and in Guilford (scroll down) and in Godalming (scroll down) and even at the Warwick University Campus!

I was just curious if any of you'd seen 'em about.
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Very odd indeed... There's a couple of good flash videos at the sarcastically named 'Backing Blair' site, which appears to have some connection to this: http://www.backingblair.co.uk/ However - is this just a desperate and sinister ploy by Michael Howard to get the Tories elected?
    when the election comes around, we want people who live in 'safe' Labour seats or marginal ones to vote for the candidate most likely to beat the Labour candidate. Not the anti-war-person, or the seems-like-a-nice-person, but the candidate most likely to beat the Labour candidate.
    He hasn't got any other chance!
    \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Well, I'm not very urban, so I haven't spotted any myself. Obviously they haven't made it down to the Deep South just yet, and I certainly won't be printing any out to post... how dare they tell people to be happy? It almost made me tear the flowers out of my hair in disgust.
      "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
        is this just a desperate and sinister ploy by Michael Howard to get the Tories elected?
        Could be. However, I think they have a point. The same thing is happening all over europe: when the "left" wins, it is assumed that their corporate-ass-licking programs are what got them elected, and they feel they can go further rightwards. When the "left" loses, it is assumed that they were too old-fashioned-marxist-radical-whatever and....they go further rightwards.
        Fuck them. I know this goes against your feelings, I know most of the arguments you would put forth and I'm sure you know all my own arguments, but...DO NOT vote I say. Democracy is an illusion and the only way to make this obvious is to let them play their games alone. Ahem, er, are we invading the enclave with political talk :?

Comment

Take your idea, extrapolate it, and write us a story about the
          consequences!

LSN

Originally posted by mordenkainen
          Originally posted by Mikey_C
          is this just a desperate and sinister ploy by Michael Howard to get the Tories elected?
          Could be. However, I think they have a point. The same thing is happening all over europe: when the "left" wins, it is assumed that their corporate-ass-licking programs are what got them elected, and they feel they can go further rightwards. When the "left" loses, it is assumed that they were too old-fashioned-marxist-radical-whatever and....they go further rightwards.
          Fuck them. I know this goes against your feelings, I know most of the arguments you would put forth and I'm sure you know all my own arguments, but...DO NOT vote I say. Democracy is an illusion and the only way to make this obvious is to let them play their games alone. Ahem, er, are we invading the enclave with political talk :?

Comment

Man...

...I just wanted to know if you guys had actually seen any of the posters around your digs. I actually didn't even realize the political affiliation until after I made the post. Ah, well. If it gets outta hand, Berry can move the thread.

Boy, these threads never take off in the direction intended. Bottle-rockets are more predictable. :P
            "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
            --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Seriously, guys, let's see some stories that extrapolate these features and trends.

Everything is grist for the old mill.

LSN

Comment

That's an idea....probably sums up to a very classical distopy, though.

Comment

If you want to write it as a utopia instead of a dystopia, just to try to beat the game, that might be amusing! Otherwise, a classical dystopia would do. Everything is a matter of execution. (That could be the first line of the story, and you might ask, "Execution? Whom?" )

LSN

Comment

I like the ickle happy posters.

It's got a ickle puss-cat on, and that's got to be good.

Aah!

I'm going to sue them for pinching Dee and Perdix's 'terrorist art' strategy, though! Cheek!

Aah! Nice kitty! :D

Comment

Working...
                    X