Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Verse challenge: set forms and end rhymes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verse challenge: set forms and end rhymes

Mikey_C, HawkLord, the Mouser, Kommando, and I have all participated in verse games here where we wrote verses to a selected strict form with a set of predefined end-rhymes.

Is anyone interested in another round of that activity? I need a tune up before I dive back into the "Verse Submissions" project.

Ideas for possible strict form: villanelle, Petrarchan sonnet, pantoum, ballade, or chant royal. Once we have a set of participants, we'll select the end-rhymes round-robin; another possibility is to designate a "rhyme provider" for the first challenge, then rotate the responsibility for providing the rhymes on each subsequent game. I'm open to discussion on this point of procedure, having done both before.

If you produce something you really like, you could always submit it to Perdix's magazine.

LSN

Yeh I'd be up for that I've not really written much poetry for a while so I need some kinda stimulus to get me back into it. The last poetry I wrote was actually last week for a song.

Comment

Yep - keep me posted. Despite my dismal failure to produce anything last time I could do with some diversion.
      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

That's 3. I hope the Mouser will join in.

Mikey_C, I don't think you suffered a dismal failure. I think you were simply overwhelmed with work, and didn't feel comfortable proceeding with that form as a result.

What do you guys say to giving the villanelle a try? I happen not to like the villanelle as a personal exercise, but I've done a few. It's short, too.

Famous modern example of the form in English is Dylan Thomas's "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night."

LSN

Comment

Okay, there are 3 of us. I'll send the Mouser some e-mail, and Kommando as well, and see what happens. I'll post the ground rules sometime tonight (Pacific time). I'm at work right now, and I like to have my reference books at hand when I set ground rules for verse forms I don't often employ -- as is the case for the villanelle. My memory *seems* to recall the details, but one of the things having a good memory teaches (with experience) is not to rely purely on memory, and to verify details.

There are a few others I'd like to ask to play, but we'll see how it works out. Dee, for example, who could do a pretty good job with the villanelle if he wanted, probably can't be persuaded to participate. Doc and Perdix and Etive are just *maybes*. And mordenkainen is always welcome.

LSN

Comment

The villanelle is another form with refrain lines. The first and third lines of the first stanza serve as the final lines of the remaining stanzas, and form the last 2 lines of the concluding quatrain.

The base form is aba aba aba aba aba abaa , but remember what I said about repeated, refrain lines.

If I call the first refrain rhyme A1, and the second one A2, we could rewrite the rhyme scheme as below:

A1
            b
            A2

a
            b
            A1

a
            b
            A2

a
            b
            A1

a
            b
            A2

a
            b
            A1
            A2

For a model, look at Dylan Thomas's poem, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night."

LSN

Comment

Sounds good, who is gonna go first?

Comment

I will, but I'm about to retire for the evening. (It's 1 am here, and I've got to perform a few tasks, including ablutions, not to mention my daily fix of literature .)

I'll post the first rhyme tomorrow morning (afternoon for all of you). I'll send Mikey_C and Kommando and the Mouser a "head's up" e-mail, too.

LSN

Comment

This is going to be my first poem for a long time! I cant wait.

Comment

As others express the desire to join in, we'll assign words to them.

I've got the A1 rhyme and Mikey_C has the A2 rhyme. These are both refrain lines.

After these, we'll do round-robin.

HawkLord, you've got the first b-rhyme, which is not repeated.

I have sent e-mail to Mikey_C, the Mouser, Kommando, and Perdix, in the hope that they'll contribute. It would be nice if Doc, Etive, Dee, and others would join in. (mordenkainen? Adlerian?) I'm not going to place any wagers on their participation, though.

LSN

Originally posted by villanelle rhyme scheme

A1- agreed
                    b - HawkLord#1
                    A2 - Mikey_C

a - Grey Mouser#1
                    b
                    A1- agreed

a
                    b
                    A2 - Mikey_C

a
                    b
                    A1- agreed

a
                    b
                    A2 - Mikey_C

a
                    b
                    A1 - agreed
                    A2 - Mikey_C

Comment

A1- agreed
                      b - HawkLord#1
                      A2 - need

a - Grey Mouser#1
                      b
                      A1- agreed

a
                      b
                      A2 - need

a
                      b
                      A1- agreed

a
                      b
                      A2 - need

a
                      b
                      A1 - agreed
                      A2 - need

Here goes! :lol:

PS Has anyone else heard John Cale's arrangement of 'Do not go gentle'?

I shall be humming it!
                      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey_C
                        Here goes! :lol:

PS Has anyone else heard John Cale's arrangement of 'Do not go gentle'?

I shall be humming it!
                        Yes. I like the arrangement, and I also like the poem. Dylan Thomas could be good. Also check out his short stories.

HawkLord, your turn. We'll have to see whether the Mouser, Kommando, and some others show up to participate. Doc? Perdix? Etive? mordenkainen? steeltsar? :-]

LSN

Comment

I strongly suspect we'll need to provide Perdix another bottle of Frascati to get him to write something here.

C'mon, Perdix. You need to celebrate the completion of your novella! What better way to commemorate the occasion than a bit of formal verse?

LSN

Comment

A1- agreed
                            b - dream
                            A2 - need

a - Grey Mouser#1
                            b
                            A1- agreed

a
                            b
                            A2 - need

a
                            b
                            A1- agreed

a
                            b
                            A2 - need

a
                            b
                            A1 - agreed
                            A2 - need

Comment

On the topic of poetry, I wrote quite a nice poem yesterday, I can't recall the whole thing from memory but the first verse went something like this:

If I had wings with which to fly,
                              Spun gossamer wings; if these had I
                              Through the air I would search for thy
                              Tender beauty.

I quite liked that one, it was me trying to describe a feeling I had of wanting to fly above the city.

Comment

Working...
                              X