Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Working for The Man's dollar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working for The Man's dollar...

Sadly, although it goes against my "better" instincts, I've been trying to think of ways to make some money out of my "art". I noticed that a new goth/metal store has opened up in town, and was debating making some prints of my various band cartoons and trying to interest the store owner in taking a few off my hands (on a sale or return basis, presumably). I've done some test prints and they don't look too bad. They're A5 and I plan to put them in clip-frames, but I'm not sure how much to suggest charging. In total I'd spend about two British pounds on "materials", so that just leaves my mark-up and the store's mark-up to consider.

As I contemplated the knee-trembling terror of hawking my line-art around town, it occurred to me that I could (in theory) put something on my site offering prints of the cartoons there, if anyone was interested. I don't have PayPal, and don't really understand the whole exchange rate thing, so I'd probably accept trades from foreign customers.

Obviously Mike's characters are copyright to him, and I wouldn't sell any of those prints.

So... um... questions, comments?

On a separate (but related) tip, I'm considering sending some of the Ludivine prints to the lady herself, but will probably require the services of a funky Francophone to translate my covering letter (and take out the crazed marriage proposals). Obviously I would be very grateful if someone out there volunteered, and spared me the indiginity of running the text through a website.

Thank you! :D
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

D., can't currently help out with French as I'm so incredibly tied up with work.

You should perhaps bother to get in touch with these people http://www.bustedtees.com/ and sell your ideas in greater quantities ...
    Good luck!
    L'E
    Google ergo sum

Comment

Cracking idea, Dee! I'm a great believer in that kind of pro-active promotion: the initial scale is really not important, it's the technique and the cheek that count! I'm sure you'll have no problem getting interest, but don't let it get to you if you do have knock-backs. People are essentially conservative and it takes much more to convince them of something's quality or veracity if there is no 'track record': fortunately, this isn't the case for you, as you have a cool gallery and a nice web presence, and 'projects' to showcase. When I tried to set up projects or get a particular post or job in my youth, I tended to try for the direct-but-friendly high pressure approach, OK, so I got told to fuck off occassionally, but enough 'hits' to make it worthwhile...

Come to think of it, I still get told to fuck off a lot... :?

Ah, I can see that we are present at the nascent dawn of a new illustrative style! Crozierism will rise into the stratosphere of media heaven, adorning the most illustrious journals and the sleeves of the hippest albums. The great Dee himself will bestride the world of art like the colossus of a much better-looking Warhol, gazing down at we poor aging scribes and dreamers as we flock in our creaking bath chairs along the Embankment, muttering of ancient plans and wishes unfulfill'd in between bitter mouthfuls of mashed banana and stale Tokay, whilst our cats widdle in our sunken laps...

>sigh<

Comment

Dee, go out and peddle your wares with the confidence that comes from pride in your work (which I know you have). You're an artist. It's not an easy life, but it's your calling, so have at!

"One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
        --Andre Gide

Peter Tosh -- legendary Reggae artist and political voice -- used to ride around on a bicycle, peddling (no pun intended) his records to whomever would buy them. Good thing he did, too, or great songs like "Get Up, Stand Up" would have never made it out of Jamaica!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm happy as hell with my DCrosier print!
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

We'll remember him <sniff> as he was when he was our Dee and not yet famous and <sniff> out of reach. By God, we wish you luck and a better tailor!

L'Etranger
          Google ergo sum

Comment

At risk of being trite--

You won't know what you can accomplish until you put yourself out there. I think you're love for what you do shows up in the work. That has to mean something.

Of course, the world should work in such a way that you didn't have to be an artist and a salesperson...

Best of luck in following what makes you happy.

Comment

Dee,

I'm a francophone, but doubt I qualify as "funky." Nevertheless...

Post your cover letter in this thread, and we'll work on it as the occasion permits. I don't know how long the proposed missive will be, so I don't want to commit to translating it at one go. If you put it up here, perhaps mordenkainen, L'Etranger, and I can translate it in sections if the need arises.

Try to remove the marriage proposals ahead of time. The lady may never read it herself. :lol:

I'd do the whole thing for you if I were sure it would be short. Translation with finesse (which this seems to require) can be a tricky and time-consuming art. You don't say things the same way in French as one would in English. SO it might need to be "recast" to capture your meaning and "ton" accurately.

LSN

Comment

Bless you all for your kind words of encouragement... for some reason I have "She's Leaving Home" (by The Beatles) playing in my head, but that isn't entirely germane.

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                I'm a francophone, but doubt I qualify as "funky." Nevertheless... Post your cover letter in this thread, and we'll work on it as the occasion permits. I don't know how long the proposed missive will be, so I don't want to commit to translating it at one go. If you put it up here, perhaps mordenkainen, L'Etranger, and I can translate it in sections if the need arises.
                Oh no, I've learned from past mistakes that there is a fine line between "passionate fan" and "crazy stalker weirdo", so this letter is v. short and sweet, and should appear at the foot of this post.

Try to remove the marriage proposals ahead of time. The lady may never read it herself. :lol:
                Even if she did, she's about six months pregnant with another man's baby, so I think my chances are rather slim (as if they weren't slim enough already!)

I'd do the whole thing for you if I were sure it would be short. Translation with finesse (which this seems to require) can be a tricky and time-consuming art. You don't say things the same way in French as one would in English. SO it might need to be "recast" to capture your meaning and "ton" accurately.
                I've tried to keep it fairly simple, but I'm prone to purple prose. Hopefully it will translate... thank you very much for offering your services, and to anyone else who pitches in! L'E has already helped me out of a few translation holes in the past, so he is absolved from any guilt! :)

The Letter:

To Ludivine Sagnier,

Please find enclosed a collection of cartoons I have drawn depicting characters from your many excellent films. I have been a fan of your work ever since I first saw '8 Femmes' at the cinema, and I admire the variety of roles you have undertaken in your career. Hopefully I've managed to reflect that variety in my drawings, and captured something of the humour and charm you bring to the screen. If nothing else, they are my small way of thanking you for making the cinema a more interesting place to be!

Of course I'd also like to congratulate you on the imminent birth of your first child, and send my best wishes to you and your family (present and future).

Yours sincerely,

PS. I don't really speak French, and had to ask a much smarter friend to translate this for me. I hope nothing has been lost in the process. :D
                I wrote that P.S. beforehand, so I hope no one takes it personally (I know how insulting it might be to find oneself considered a "friend" of mine! :))

Warning: If this goes well, I may send some cartoons to Audrey Tautou too! Take pity on the poor French actresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc
                  You won't know what you can accomplish until you put yourself out there. I think you're love for what you do shows up in the work. That has to mean something.
                  Thank you kindly.

Originally posted by Doc
                  Of course, the world should work in such a way that you didn't have to be an artist and a salesperson...
                  Or my own printer... I've already been scalped by a local print shop. I forgot to check prices before handing over the disc for my test prints and ended up paying (the equivalent of) fourteen dollars for five A4 colour prints!! They explained that six of those dollars were for the inconvenience of having to pull the images off of a floppy disc! They never did that when I was working on PWV's print (glad to know you're still enjoying it, old chap), so this is obviously something they've just invented in the meantime to trick me!

You live and learn I suppose, but we "sensitive" arty types shouldn't have to coarsen our delicate hands with such things! ;)

Originally posted by Doc
                  Best of luck in following what makes you happy.
                  Yes... and if that doesn't work, I'll have to be a cartoonist! :D

Comment

I'm starting to work on this right now, though I'm not sure I qualify as "much smarter" :D

Comment

Edit as needed.

The first part (the 'Veuillez trouver ci-joint...') part is mostly boilerplate.

The part where he sends his best wishes on the imminent birth of her first child makes me a little uncomfortable when I think about how to say it politely. If you've got a clean solution, free of embarrassing expressions such as "Je voudrais caresser tes fesses, mon enfant..." and references to her "balcon" and how she is "bien roulأ©" -- well and good! We wouldn't want to play a trick on poor Dee, after all. :lol:

(That last interpolation, which mordenkainen would never add, of course, even as a joke, is a reference, of course, to a bad Monty Python routine about guidebooks in London.)

LSN

Comment

8O 8O 8O

Normally BabelFish seems to have trouble with certain words, but it managed to decipher all of the above jokes with suspicious ease. They must be well used phrases for the type of people who rely on such sites!

I can see now that it is LSN's intention to have me arrested the next time I try to cross the Channel! :)

Seriously though, I was just trying to wish the woman well... there must be some nice, polite way of saying it without any sort of reference to her "balcony"... not that she doesn't have a lovely... er... carry on!

Comment

Actually the main problem I have is with "If nothing else..". "S'ils ne devaient أ?tre que cela" sounds a bit too nineteenth-century to me :?

anyway...

Mademoiselle Sagnier *,

Veuillez trouver ci-jointe une sأ©lection de mes dessins inspirأ©s par les divers personnages que vous avez incarnأ©s **. Je suis un inconditionnel de votre travail depuis que j'ai vu '8 femmes' au cinأ©ma pour la premiأ¨re fois, et j'admire la variأ©tأ© de rأ´les que vous avez interprأ©tأ© au cours de votre carriأ¨re. J'espأ¨re avoir rأ©ussi أ  reflأ©ter cette variأ©te dans mes dessins***, et أ  capturer une partie de l'humour et du charme que vous dأ©gagez أ  l'أ©cran. Et s'ils ne devaient أ?tre que cela, acceptez-les comme ma modeste maniأ¨re de vous remercier pour avoir fait du cinأ©ma un lieu plus attrayant!
                          Je voudrais أ©galement vous fأ©liciter pour la naissance prochaine de votre premier enfant, et vous assurer de mes meilleurs voeux pour votre famille prأ©sente et future.
                          Sincأ¨rement vأ´tre,
                          * "to ludivine sagnier" would be "أ  l'attention de LS", which sounds...official to me.
                          ** "vos (excellents)films would imply she directed them IMO
                          *** found no way to avoid repeating "dessins". LSN?

Comment

It's perfect, mordenkainen. There is no elegant way to avoid repeating "dessins" here, I think. One could utilise an awkward circumlocution, but this works best.

Ship it.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by mordenkainen
                              Actually the main problem I have is with "If nothing else..". "S'ils ne devaient أ?tre que cela" sounds a bit too nineteenth-century to me :?
                              Dee's original sounds slightly nineteenth-century, so it works okay. She'll just think he's a nice rosbif boy, pat him on the head, and give him a chocolate orange. :lol:

Really, you did a good job. I was away from my machine for a while, returned, and you were done. I had a partial translation done, but it is in no way superior to yours -- in fact, it resembles your translation quite a bit.

I reworded things even more heavily. You're obviously a "faithful" translator. I didn't add anything to get Dee in trouble, either. Really.

So ship it, as I said.

LSN

Comment

Working...
                              X