Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Magazine by MWM Contributors: a poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine by MWM Contributors: a poll

Berry's understanding of this issue seems consistent with my own. I run my own consulting business, so I understand some of the business / license / taxes considerations he alludes to. It's a bit of a headache, and it's the reason I have to employ an accountant. :roll:

Funding this website is a different sort of issue from producing a magazine. A magazine has up front costs for production and backend costs for distribution. Producing one for personal pleasure and satisfaction is something I've known friends to do, but they charged for the magazine because otherwise, it gets to be a constant non-trivial drain on their finances.

If everyone lived within meeting distance, the dynamic would be different. If it were distributed electronically, it would be different, too. Personally, I'd rather read fiction and look at artwork in a book or magazine, but perhaps that's my neo-Luddite side speaking.

LSN

So far, the response rate somewhat confirms my suspicions about the level of interest in such a project. It appears that there's at best "limited" interest in such a project. It's not the number of positive-versus-negative votes that make me think this. It's the very small # of votes in total.

We'll let the poll run its course for a week and see what the final results are, but it's my guess based on the "exit polls" that the reaction within MWM to this is at best lukewarm.

Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Sizemore
      MWM on subscription would create numerous problems for me...

...If you want that easy peaceful feeling, go make a contribution to one of the three charitable organizations we support: Womankind Worldwide, Doctors Without Borders or New Worlds Authors Fund.

Take it from me, generating goodwill has some unchartable benefits. This site is an example of those benefits.
      Thanks Berry. Wise words. I will take your advice.

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newberg
      We'll let the poll run its course for a week and see what the final results are, but it's my guess based on the "exit polls" that the reaction within MWM to this is at best lukewarm. Wink
      LSN, I would say the poll might need at least a month, perhaps two to get a more representative picture.

Comment

I also missed the project post but would try to get something together. I would certainly subscribe.
        This reminds me I haven't had any Nomad stuff for some time. Perhaps my subscription ran out and I didn't notice. Hard to tell because, due to temporal fluctuations, years can go by without an issue of the Time Centre Times.

Comment

Originally posted by DiGiMac
          I also missed the project post but would try to get something together. I would certainly subscribe.
          This reminds me I haven't had any Nomad stuff for some time. Perhaps my subscription ran out and I didn't notice. Hard to tell because, due to temporal fluctuations, years can go by without an issue of the Time Centre Times.
          Perdix indicated in e-mail that he's still open for submissions. If you want to be included in the first or second issue, please get it to Perdix as quickly as possible. He closes the window sometime in April, if I remember correctly.

I gather he's already got a lot of material. He seems to think that's a good thing.

LSN

Comment

Hopefully my story should be finished by then but it might be too long.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkLord
              Hopefully my story should be finished by then but it might be too long.
              The 8,000 word limit isn't really tough to stay under. 8,000 words is quite a lot; roughly, it translates to 32 standard, double-spaced pages, or structured a different way, 10 scenes of 800 words each. (Structuring stories into sequences of 800 word scenes has been a common practice.)

When in doubt, you should always go back and eliminate unnecessary verbiage. In a short story, there's not a lot of room for gratuitous elements -- things that would work in a novel clutter up a story.

LSN

Comment

I should be able to stay within 8000 words. I'm at about 2000 just now.

Comment

To reiterate a question I raised earlier, for those who vote "would subscribe if it's cheap enough," it would be valuable and interesting if you'd post a comment about what you think "cheap enough" means in this context.

If Perdix's publication comes in around 200 illustrated pages (about the size of the late, lamented New Worlds Quarterly of the early '70s), and came out twice a year, that's a substantial book. If it's much shorter, and less professionally produced than I think Perdix intends, that's different, and a lower price seems indicated.

I know what *I* think would be the upper reasonable limit, but it may not be in accord with the viewpoint of others.

So what do you think? Some of you have already weighed in, but some have not.

LSN

Comment

I voted 'would subscribe' and because this is a unique publication with a very limited distribution I'd be willing to pay more than otherwise for a publication of similar format.

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                      To reiterate a question I raised earlier, for those who vote "would subscribe if it's cheap enough," it would be valuable and interesting if you'd post a comment about what you think "cheap enough" means in this context.

If Perdix's publication comes in around 200 illustrated pages (about the size of the late, lamented New Worlds Quarterly of the early '70s), and came out twice a year, that's a substantial book. If it's much shorter, and less professionally produced than I think Perdix intends, that's different, and a lower price seems indicated.

I know what *I* think would be the upper reasonable limit, but it may not be in accord with the viewpoint of others.

So what do you think? Some of you have already weighed in, but some have not.

LSN
                      Oh, I thought you meant a normal size magazine. I'd pay about آ£10-آ£20 for it probably.

Comment

Working...
                      X