Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Story Challenge 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Challenge 2015

It's almost June and that brings me to the inevitable question...are we doing our annual Enclave Story Challenge? If so, what's our theme, word limit, etc. I want to get started early. I have two potential stories ready to go, but want to know if one or both might not fit the theme and require adjustments. Or I might do a completely off-the-cuff story. Let me know, oh Lords of Chaos! Blood and Souls, Arioch! Blood and souls! Moorcock's 75, I'm 55. Sheesh! Where does the time go?Flora! Get off the furniture!
    Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

As far as I know we're in business as usual. I haven't been voted out as moderator yet. I'm planning on the rules being the same as last year, meaning folks can write on any subject they want. That's worked well the last two years, so basically read the rules for 2014 and that's what they'll be for 2015.

Comment

I'll keep my eyes on this, just for fun.
      Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

I have my first two chapters ready.
        Lord Warshaw the Unknown

"Except in dreams, you're never really free." Warren Zevon, Desperados Under the Eaves.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWolf359 View Post
          I have my first two chapters ready.
          I haven't actually started writing, but I've been thinking (insofar as I'm able to) about doing a story inspired by my favourite of Friedrich Dürrenmatt's stage plays. Still trying to get enough of the plot into place for me to start writing.

One of the rules which I've been thinking about, is the request to readers not to post comments directly to the thread of a story. I can easily see the reasons for it, especially the concern that such comments would break up the reading experience if further chapters are forthcoming.

On the other hand, I don't see why people shouldn't discuss the finished work once it's been made public in its entirety. The writers themselves may even like to know what other people think, but be a bit embarassed about saying that they'd like others to discuss their stuff in a general discussion thread.

I can't think of a perfect way to do this, but maybe a small step might be to ask contributors to make a final "I'm done. Thread released for comments" post at the end. Maybe that's a bit silly... just thinking out loud here.
          "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Jagged's ideas make sense to me. I do not like people posting comments directly to the story thread. It distracts me.

Oh, and I have six chapters now.

Lord Warshaw the Mostly Unknown
            16 June 2015
            Toronto and Tanelorn
            Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

I am glad this was posted up! Wait, story... story. Someone whack me with the inspiration bat please!
              The essence of light and dark rests on a fulcrum.
              Your actions determine where lays the balance.
              I am the fulcrum.

Comment

Eight chapters now. Nearing the exciting climax! When is the official thread going to be opened?
                Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

Eight chapters. That's quite a lead WW!

I'm aiming to get a story in this year, pitching for around 3-5k words. Not sure what yet.

Comment

I have an outline, still looking for the right title. I will do my best to keep it to the limit this year Am I the only one who looks at that number and thinks... I can't get out what I need to say with so few!?
                    The essence of light and dark rests on a fulcrum.
                    Your actions determine where lays the balance.
                    I am the fulcrum.

Comment

Eight chapters now. Nearing the exciting climax! When is the official thread going to be opened?
                      The challenge doesn't begin until September, so you might be jumping the gun just a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Thongor View Post
                        The challenge doesn't begin until September, so you might be jumping the gun just a bit.
                        Oh. I thought it began in July and ended in September? Maybe being in Canada has my time sense all messed up. Well, I'll have plenty of time to edit my story by then. It's nearly finished. Just have to do the coda and teaser.
                        Lord Warshaw the Unknown

Comment

Actually you're right and I'm wrong, WhiteWolf. Got my wires crossed. I'll get something up this weekend.

Comment

Okay, the rules should be up by the 5th. Sorry about the mix up. I've been rather busy lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruger View Post
                              I am glad this was posted up! Wait, story... story. Someone whack me with the inspiration bat please!
                              Wish I could. I've found just writing some scene or other, some circumstance or other, often serves to get the grey matter working.
                              sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
                              And incense the power of man with God
                              But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
                              And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
                              by Peter Cape

Comment

Working...
                              X