Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

American Fantasy(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, following on how there's American Horror... I mean I must admit what springs to mind is urban fantasy like Kim Harrison, which brings many fantasy tropes into the urban and contemporary context. It's not quite epic in scope, in fact it likes being different than epic fantasy. But going back to American Horror, I mean... yeah, it would take someone like Lovecraft who says (among other things) I don't want the old world's tired monsters, give me weird things with anemone heads, because sea creatures are freaky. (See: Siphonophores, who are really floating colonies of connected individuals that will actually burst if they don't stay in the higher water pressures of the deep). So I suspect there's more out there, I just fail at reading enough new fantasy to tell you where it is, and urban fantasy comes to mind first.
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

Originally posted by Thongor View Post
      American fantasies are called Westerns.
      This was what first came to mind for me. Although they usually don't include magic or mysticism, they are the adventures that embody American Heritage. America is a young kingdom so to speak and thus its roots are more recent and realistic (although embellished). The Western serves the same purpose to America as High Fantasy serves to Europe.
      Check out J. Wade Harrell Fantasy World blog:

http://jwadeharrell.wordpress.com/about/

Comment

Working...
      X