Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Michael Moorcock Audio Art Soundscape (MMAAS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorcock Audio Art Soundscape (MMAAS)

Under the creative genius of Etive, L'Etranger and M-A_19, the MMAAS team accepted numerous contributions from friends and readers of Mike's work and hammered out an audio collaboration like none other. It was sent to Mr. Moorcock on his 65th birthday. Now that he and the MMAAS team have had their coveted private listen to this piece (and I have only just heard it before I uploaded it here) its your turn to download this mp3 and give it a spin.

You really should get over to http://www.horse-balloon.co.uk/mmaas/ for the whole story and check out some of the contributors and their websites. The work speaks for itself, but when I heard it, I became very excited and enjoyed all 10 minutes of the well threaded audio contributions. It has a similiar ambient feel to it that number stations have, but can't really be categorized into a genre. Well done to the MMAAS team, contributors and to Mike making it to 65. Let's hope we don't have to wait another 65 years for another soundscape from the MMAAS team.

I'd really like to hear from the MMAAS team and their contributors iin this thread, so you can tell us all about your contribution and how you feel hearing the finished product.

You can download the file here:

[broken link]

Also available is this sweet screensaver they made:

[broken link]

P.S. Koofrudi! It's the End of Time! (Contributions to the project are no longer being solicited.)
    Last edited by Rothgo; 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM.
    The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Sorry to be a pain... I think I might be a (very minor) contributor, but my modem is so slow it would take me an hour to download the ten minute piece. Is there any chance that some kind soul could zip it down into a smaller file size and e-mail it to me?

Thank you kindly, and sorry again. :oops:
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
      Sorry to be a pain... I think I might be a (very minor) contributor, but my modem is so slow it would take me an hour to download the ten minute piece. Is there any chance that some kind soul could zip it down into a smaller file size and e-mail it to me?

Thank you kindly, and sorry again. :oops:
      The problem is that mp3's are already compressed. I just tested and only compressed the file by about 1 or 2 percent. Just set it to download before you go to sleep or something.
      The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Oh well, thanks for trying!

Without going too deeply into my pathetic living situation, this is my parents' computer and they only have a single phone-line, so I'm afraid I can't do that. No doubt tomorrow I'll have enough time to download it in full... I certainly didn't wish to imply that the MMAAS project wasn't worth the wait. :) I was just being a bit impatient. Sorry.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Comment

I've at last been able to play the CD y'all sent and this gives me a chance to thank you all here again for a truly incredible piece of work,
          involving so many different people from so many countries.
          I was so impressed by the work and so moved by the thoughts involved I'm not sure I'll ever be able to say exactly how wonderful it was to get this.
          Thanks everyone!
          And everyone who HASN'T seen it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
          It's worth it just to see all those old covers, some of them the best I've had, back again!!
          All very best,
          Mike

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
          The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
          The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

Oh wow

Hi all...
            I have just downloaded it and am still listening to it now...
            Wow!!
            Heard my piece"Melnibone" threaded in amoungst all the peoples words.
            Mine is the soft guitar piece.
            Felt so good.
            Actualy I feel slightly greedy as I played on a piece submitted by Systems Theory and Steve Nicholas,both from Soundclick.
            All that wonderful music,many of which I recognise.
            Thank you to everyone at the mmaas team for making this available and thanks to this site for putting it up!
            Man,so proud to have been a part of this!
            Well done to all concerned,sounds FANTASTIC.
            Lots of people to tell now!
            Many thanks
            Nigel.
            :D :D :D :D :D

Comment

I just downloaded and listened to it, and I'm so thrilled. What a great piece of work! It reminds me musically of some of the better early live Orb stuff I've heard, which is a good thing in my book. I'm very happy to have been able to contribute. While the poet in the Dead Air Fresheners, Chuck Swaim, is new to Moorcock, his poem "The Doors of Death" really struck me as somehow connected with the Cornelius books I was reading when Etive asked me to send them something. I'm quite pleased the samples from it can be heard so well in the mix.

Thanks so much for hosting it Berry! 3 other people downloaded it at the same time as me, so I think you've got a chartable hit on your hands. ;)
              My Facebook; My Band; My Radio Show; My Flickr Page; Science Fiction Message Board

Comment

What you really ought to do is let the screensaver and the soundscape run at the same time. Then the full pleasure kicks in.
                Cheers,
                L'Etranger
                Google ergo sum

Comment

I have just e-mailed all of the contributors pointing them here.

Many thanks to Berry for hosting the MP3 and Screensaver and for his kind words about the project. Also without the Image Gallery here on Multiverse.org the screensaver would have been impossible.

Deecrowseer stars as Oswald Bastable and the pressman within the piece, it is no minor contribution, we had a lot of fun with his stuff.

Nigel was our unofficial head of nagging without even being asked, he pestered everyone he'd ever met. He and his contacts submitted some of the best music I've heard in ages. Thanks Nigel :lol:

Mr Dead-Air was first to contribute his initial enthusiasm stopped us from packing up and calling it a day. His contribution altered our expectations for the project.

A big team hug for the other two members!

and thanks again to Mike , this was all for you.

Comment

Wow sweet! Thats well cool man! My band Danny Cockroach featured at the start. That was me with the whole 'Out of the Ashes' thing lol. You can check out our band at http://www.download.com/pewhitenoise
                    or check our site http://hippiekid.proboards29.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      It's worth it just to see all those old covers, some of them the best I've had, back again!!
                      I'd like to think that, in the same way that the soundscape lets all the various contributors speak for themselves, the show lets the covers speak for themselves. There's some really fantastic artwork there.

L'Etranger consistently denies the invaluable contribution he made to the project, even if you ignore the part he played in the team, then his own audio submissions themselves make up a vital part of the mix.

Thanks L'Etranger, Etive and Mike!
                      \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

Thanks

Hi Etive and team...

"Nigel was our unofficial head of nagging without even being asked, he pestered everyone he'd ever met. He and his contacts submitted some of the best music I've heard in ages. Thanks Nigel"

You are most welcome,once I get into high gear I am unstoppable! :lol:
                        My sincere apologies to all I nagged at.
                        Really didn't take much,all I had to do was mention Michael's name.
                        Many thanks.
                        :D

Comment

Originally posted by HawkLord
                          You can check out our band at http://www.download.com/pewhitenoise
                          Can we link to this on the MMAAS site? Loved your track Hawklord.

You can also hear Danny Cockroach at the end

Comment

Just put it on a CD so I can listen to it in the car on the way home at volume 11.
                            The voice calling "Blood and Souls" is MM himself from the BBC readings.

Comment

Well, I'll download it now (while my parents are out).

I managed to hear about two and a half minutes last night, and I was very impressed. I couldn't begin to understand how to construct such a piece, so all due respect going out to the MMAAS posse! Excellent work. I'll spare you all the obligatory self-deprecation, but if you contributed a musical piece and felt it was spoilt by a slightly camp English voice, then you have my deepest sympathy. :lol:

It was an absolute honour to be involved with such a noble endeavour, and I agree that we could have a bit of a chart-topper on our hands...

The very idea of my voice blasting out from a car stereo fills me with horror, but I do rather like the idea of being on Top of the Pops... as long as someone can get me a coat like Bastable's!

Comment

Working...
                              X