Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Experimentalists and Adventurers! Call For Submissions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimentalists and Adventurers! Call For Submissions!

Hello Writers, Poets and Scribblers of all descriptions!

We are putting together a collection of short stories, 'flash fiction' and poetry as a limited run publication.

'Prototype I' will be a semi-glossy A4 format book, and a parallel e-book. The text will be illustrated by the excellent DeeCrowSeer of MWM fame, and will be produced as a 'non-profit' venture (although produced to 'professional' standards of quality).

We are looking for original submissions from the MWM forum. The criteria are fairly 'open': 'Conventional' short stories, poetry and other fictional (or semi-fictional) work are welcome, although we are particularly interested in 'Experimental' forms and methods; flash-fiction, spontaneous thoughts, 'concrete' poetry, etc. The only limit is length: Maximum for any form is eight thousand words (which is quite a lot...!). Most accepted submissions will be illustrated in final form, and contributors will be able to preview the illustration and final form of their submission prior to publication, although editorial decisions will be reserved. We cannot promise to include all submissions, of course, but will consider all material sent to us. All work should be otherwise unpublished and currently unsubmitted elsewhere, and should be original. You know what we mean!

Submissions may be posted to the address below, or e-mailed to the contact below. Hard copy submissions should be typed on one side of the paper only, double-spaced (unless this contravenes the concrete form of the text, naturally!) and preferably not in too exotic a typeface (ditto)! E-mail submissions should be double-spaced.

For further clarification or discussion, either e-mail as below or call me on 07950-943159.

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you all!

Cheers! Darren 'Perdix' Partridge

Submission Address: Please call or e-mail for postal address (hard copy or on disc)
    e-mail: [email protected]

Good idea. I will submit something don't know what yet though...

Comment

I was just going to e-mail you, Etive! I thought 'The Neurotic Dancer' would be good, actually, but if you have something else, bung it in my direction! There are no limits to number of submissions!

Sorry I was too dim to upload my 'piece' for your project - I recorded it in Richmond Park but then couldn't convert it; then I ran out of time! Dur! :?

Comment

Me too, Etive & Co. I had a piece to record, but couldn't do it due to time constraints. Perhaps we can do another recording project.
        The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

Darren (Perdix),

I'll point Grey Mouser and Mikey_C to this thread in case they miss it. They
          like to write verse and are pretty good at it. The other guys in the "Poetry"
          thread, too (excluding me).

I look forward to seeing the fruits of you guys' labor. Good luck.

By the way, I've been waiting for the ambulance; where is it? :lol:

LSN

Comment

You are good at it, LSN! And your polyglot vocabulary is like a rich seam for the rest of us to mine!

Without preamble, the ambulance was ambiguous in its ambience, and fell victim to an ambuscade.

Comment

Originally posted by Perdix
              You are good at it, LSN! And your polyglot vocabulary is like a rich seam for the rest of us to mine!
              "On dit qu'il fut bon -- mais أ  quoi?" :lol:

Thanks, but I'm not a proper maker of verse, nor a maker
              of proper verses, for that matter, to get all Euphuistic.
              I'm a mathematician. For me, it's just a game, and
              therefore devoid of serious intent. But good writing is
              one of life's pleasures, so I'm a fellow traveller, as it
              were, and want to encourage the effort.

Originally posted by Perdix
              Without preamble, the ambulance was ambiguous in its ambience, and fell victim to an ambuscade.
              Sounds as if they took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in
              Iraq. Bad move. 8O

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by Etive
                Good idea. I will submit something don't know what yet though...
                Etive,

I know you don't write much verse, but if you're willing, we'd
                appreciate a contribution from you in the "Poetry" thread in
                "Community Exchange." We're doing a ballade to a set of
                communally-selected end-rhymes. I recall you once said you
                used to like to write verse to strict forms. This would most
                definitely qualify.

If whatever you write is too good for us, you should, of course,
                send it to Perdix! :lol:

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                  I'm a mathematician. For me, it's just a game, and therefore devoid of serious intent. But good writing is one of life's pleasures, so I'm a fellow traveller, as it were, and want to encourage the effort.
                  "My soul is an entangled knot,
                  Upon a liquid vortex wrought
                  By Intellect in the Unseen residing.
                  And thine doth like a convict sit,

With marlinspike untwisting it,
                  Only to find its knottiness abiding;
                  Since all the tool for its untying
                  In four-dimensional space are lying."

- James Clerk Maxwell

Never underestimate the artistic merits of a mathemetician. Besides, who said writing had to be serious? Maybe you could come up with some clever prose, or even come up with your own literary equation for a new form of verse?
                  Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Thanks, for the encouragement, Kommando, but really, I
                    don't need it. :lol: It's not that I think I'm incapable; let's
                    just say that I do other things.

I'm familiar with the verse outpourings of Maxwell and
                    Cauchy, and they're interesting, rather in the manner of
                    Johnson's dancing bear: not so much interesting as pure
                    accomplishment, but rather for the fact that they did it
                    at all.

By the way, Maxwell's verses don't scan -- perhaps
                    Maxwell's demon had a hand in them. :lol: The imagery
                    and vocabulary can be interesting, however.

Let's not talk about Cauchy's work. :twisted:

As an aside, I'd remark that Maxwell, although mathematically
                    well-equipped, was mostly a physicist.

LSN

Comment

Well, whatever floats your boat. I might write the adventure of Ferix the Feral Ferret (if I name him that) or some other such. It sounds like fun.
                      Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

LSN, I can't believe you're turning down the chance to have one of your verses illustrated by DeeCrowSeer.

I'll see if I can rustle something up for this, sounds like fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                          LSN, I can't believe you're turning down the chance to have one of your verses illustrated by DeeCrowSeer.
                          I have a lot of respect for Duncan, and think his time should be
                          spent on something of value. It would be flattering, and all that
                          sort of thing, for one of my vagrant verses to receive such treatment,
                          but the combined result might well be unfortunate. Better to match
                          the art to something of comparable quality.

If I took writing verses seriously, I couldn't do it, by the way. There's
                          a big gap between my perception of what can be done with the forms,
                          and what I'm able to accomplish.

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
                          I'll see if I can rustle something up for this, sounds like fun.
                          I hope you and Mikey_C will both contribute; no one could stop
                          Kommando if they wanted to. Our K is probably already up
                          to line 8,142 of an epic in dactylic hexameter.

We'll see about HawkLord.

LSN

Comment

Come on, LSN, get it in the mail! If you don't fancy doing poetry, some of your succulent prose is quite acceptable! :)

Thankyou all for your enthusiasm and interest! I look forward to your contributions with anticipation!

Comment

I don't have artistic pretensions. I'm a one-sided person in many
                              respects -- perhaps in most. When I engage in versifying, I am,
                              to put it crudely, screwing around and nothing more.

That doesn't prevent me from enjoying literature, of course. So I
                              say go for it, everyone. Getting Duncan to provide art and artistic
                              direction is a coup. You might also ask PWV, by the way.

I remember New Worlds from the late '60s and early '70s. I
                              wouldn't want to embarrass Mr. Moorcock, but those were the best
                              magazines I've ever seen. Part of it was their nose for new talent.
                              It's always exciting to encounter new, startling work from an
                              unknown writer. I look forward to the final result.

LSN

Comment

Working...
                              X