Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Dylerpillar's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaser Tuesday passage from my one and only publication, also what I used for my first public reading.

I also got interviewed on that site.
    Thick as wind-blown leaves innumerable, since 1985

Comment

• It seems to be the most recommended thing, that I just go ahead and publish the second novel now and move the series along. Except crowd funding isn't an option when I heavily pounded the pavement for that last year and expect patrons to be tapped out, and also don't want to be known in friend/social media circles as That Guy Who Keeps Begging For My Money. So there's nothing left but to keep looking for a publisher, for the second book now as well as the first.

Comment

• Some say the cake is a lie, the pie is an illusion, and the proof is in the pudding. Here I am, then, ready to enjoy my tasty tasty lie.

Comment

• Youtube Videos

Turning 30 and WOTS prep and things.

Comment

• New story on Wattpad

Or you could think of it as a "new writing exercise on Wattpad". First drafty and with an uncertain plot, it'll help me get back into things in advance of November (and November's different story).

The Beachwarren (working title): Some introductions

Comment

• New review

I got Self Publishing Review to look at my book and they were rather kind. I'll bring over a couple of paragraphs. I'm not sure prosaic usually means what he thinks it does, but it looks like he wanted a contrast to poetic, so...

The writing style is prosaic, even poetic in its attention to telling and evocative detail, spinning tales out of even a single sentence and filling the book beyond its almost compact 280-or-so pages. The only real flaw is that the book ends where it does. While the main thread does end quite succinctly, it’s clear the world has many, many stories left to tell, and I couldn’t help feeling like I wanted more. Even the final epilogue left me feeling as if I’d missed something important, making me want to read the book over again to pull all I could from it. Each character and event is so quietly storied.
              Gift-Knight is a truly artful fantasy story that tells a straightforward tale beautifully with many echelons. The book, as well as a few following works still in the pipeline, had been developed for a substantial length of time before this first publication, and it shows, in all positive ways: the book is very, very satisfyingly paced with a premise that, which somewhat commonplace in medieval fantasy, is distinctive in its execution. Legacy, identity, love, loss, and choice mix together within a brilliant, developed, and perfectly curbed final product that will have any regular Fantasy buff satisfied, but itching for more. I hope to see the teased sequels on shelves soon, hopefully buffed up to the same immaculate standard set as this first title.

Comment

• After a hiatus, Auxiliary Magazine returns.

Comment

• At the end of this fantasy novel, you realise that this is only the first in a series. The story concerns two characters who are destined to meet and interact but it takes over two-thirds of the book for this to happen – which is a bit frustrating. In fact, there is not a lot of action until that point when suddenly a lot happens.

Derek is a young soldier sent to Chandra’s court as a gift-knight: he is one of the sole descendants of a rival dynasty and is torn between his revenge and his honour. Chandra is the Crown princess of a powerful kingdom, previously neglected at court and suddenly put in a leading and unexpected position. The plot includes a great deal of political machinations.

Not too impressed, I cannot really recommend this although many fantasy fans may see wonders which I have missed.

Latest Amazon review. Just makes you want to buy ten copies doesn't it? I really need to include more fantasy battles, maybe a young male power fantasy or two, and a cover that belongs in Heavy Metal with some sort of improbable bust protected by impractical armour. Until then, I'll have to expect such exciting reviews.

Comment

• "Chandra portrait"

Commissioned character art from Amber Robyn.

Chandra is supposed to have a big nose, but I don't mind giving artists full license to play with depictions. Race-swap Chandra if you want; gender-bend, change her physical dimensions. When a character artist can do something of about this quality, yet manage to give her a big nose without making her look like the Wicked Witch of the West or similar, I'll try and give that artwork its fair sharing due as well.

Comment

• I have a project for November. I've done not much planning for it, but the thing about plans is the more structured and detailed they are, the more likely I am to increasingly ignore the plan and do what feels right, a lot of discovery writing. But it's nice to have, written down, some of the things I may not remember off the top of my head, if only to launch the rocket. It's all first-draft business, anyway.

In the meantime, I'm testing out a stack from Nootrobox. The worst I can say so far is I'm not sure it's doing anything, but the Yawn pills contain melatonin and the Sprint pills have the expected hit of caffeine, so I must admit that some of these things are doing something. If one imagined a "Limitless" type of moment where my pupils dilated and suddenly I could make sense of everything, though, one would be way off the mark. Fortunately for Nootrobox, they didn't promise that.

Comment

Working...
                      X