Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Amateur comic strip drawing :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur comic strip drawing :)

A little Elric mini-comic I drew up in maths. All in the spirit of fun etc. Any of yuse got comments/flames on my depiction of the albino?

:lol:

Well, I certainly think that's more worthwhile than actually paying attention in Maths. I especially liked the "ribbit". Nice touch. I also enjoyed your choice of paper... very evocative. I vaguely remember when I was doodling on graph paper... and look at me now! Doodling on my parents' printer paper. How times have changed.

Keep up the good work.
    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
      I especially liked the "ribbit". Nice touch.
      Personally, I thought the little note coming out of Stormbringer in the first frame was great! Nice work, kid.
      "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
      --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

Thankyou! :D. You're both very kind! *Big hugs for Deecrow & PWV*

Just for fun, here's one of my old What Would Jesus Do? cartoons. There were forty or fifty of them in all, each consisting of a 'circumstance' sketch, and a 'result' sketch, drawn with the aim of subverting religious imagery. (Originally, the hippie was Jesus' friend, but things soured over time.) These were the fore-runners of the What Would Elric Do? cartoons, most of which ended with Elric on a dragon yelling 'cleanse the Earth with your venom!' but there was a funny one in which Elric discovers a television. I don't know what point those ones had... but here's the pictures, borderline blasphemy though they may be...

Comment

Not bad, Kid.
          I used to do cartoons around the "Noah's Ark" theme during maths. Can't find them now. But one dealt with a python who'd swallow the ark's anchor and Noah being unable to find the anchor....
          Google ergo sum

Comment

Originally posted by kid
            Originally, the hippie was Jesus' friend, but things soured over time.
            There's a "back story" and everything... you have to admire that!

You'll probably slap me for using the word "cute", but your drawings are really very cute... both strips remind me (in a good way) of Terrence and Phillip from South Park. Their "Not Without My Anus" special is still one of the funniest cartoons I've ever seen... mostly because they're so adorable.

"Let's search for treasure!!!"
            "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran
              Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
              I especially liked the "ribbit". Nice touch.
              Personally, I thought the little note coming out of Stormbringer in the first frame was great! Nice work, kid.
              Amusing touches of comedy, indeed.

Have you ever seen the Dave Sim comic, Cerebus the Aardvark? The notorious
              "earth-pig born" warrior encounters in a few adventures the even more notorious
              Elrod the Albino -- very obviously a take-off on Elric that endows the Moorcock
              hero with the personality and verbal pattern of Foghorn Leghorn.

Your short strip had for me a similar effect.

You're wasting your time in maths. You should be looking into the Royal College of
              Art or some similar place. Mathematics isn't for everyone. Each of us has his
              own talents.

LSN

Comment

Speaking of Cerebus, did you know that if you write to Dave Sim and simply ask for a signed copy of Cerebus, he will send you one of the Sandman parody issues, autographed! I know from experience.

The offer was made way back in August, so if he has stopped sending out copies, don't lynch me!

Originally posted by Neil Gaiman in his blog
                Dave wants to know (as, I have to admit, do I) how many of the people out there in internet-land will actually go and do things that don't involve passively clicking on a link and going somewhere interesting. So what you have to do is write Dave a letter (not an e-mail. Dave doesn't have e-mail) telling him that you read that he'll send you a signed Cerebus, and telling him why you'd like him to send you a copy. It's as easy as that. And, quite possibly as difficult.

The address to write to is:

Aardvark Vanaheim, Inc
                P.O. Box 1674 Station C
                Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2G 4R2
                If you're into Cerebus, give it a shot.

Comment

The Artwork shows promise. Keed drawing kid.

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                  Have you ever seen the Dave Sim comic, Cerebus the Aardvark? The notorious
                  "earth-pig born" warrior encounters in a few adventures the even more notorious
                  Elrod the Albino -- very obviously a take-off on Elric that endows the Moorcock
                  hero with the personality and verbal pattern of Foghorn Leghorn.

LSN
                  "I have a pointy had, and that means status, you can't argue with Status son"

I did a search for Elrod of Melvinbone... guess what I found...

[broken link] :lol:
                  It's annoying to try and find some Elrod quotes online and the onlything you find it your own post.
                  Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 03:47 AM.

Comment

*Hugs for everyone* Just finished off another couple of pages to the mini-Elric story. Maybe I'll scan and post them tomorrow.

Dee, they are intentionally cute of course! I promise not to slap you. Certainly any comparison to Southpark is very flattering. Love that show.

Newburg, maths is my third favourite subject after japanese and physics! And plus I dropped Art two years ago, but I'm not going to slap you either. I've never heard of Cerebus, I'm afraid. Is it something I should seek out and buy?

Comment

Originally posted by kid
                      Newburg, maths is my third favourite subject after japanese and physics! And plus I dropped Art two years ago, but I'm not going to slap you either.
                      Chaqu'un أ  son goأ»t. I do mathematics for a living. It's my favorite area of human
                      knowledge. My wife was trained as an artist, then as an art historian (the work is
                      more "regular"). I don't think one activity is inferior to the other -- they're just
                      different.

Your interest in comic arts seems more than passing. ;) Foreign languages
                      and sciences are good, too, of course. Whatever works...

Incidentally, "L_Stearns_Newburg," derived from an inordinately complex
                      private joke, is just my screen name. My real name is a lot more Gallic-sounding.
                      A lot. :roll: Just "LSN" will do, thanks. ;)

Originally posted by kid
                      I've never heard of Cerebus, I'm afraid. Is it something I should seek out and buy?
                      I thought they were amusing. Perhaps not to everyone's taste. I'll defer to
                      the devotأ©s of comics here for an opinion. They were foisted on me by a
                      close friend, since he knew I liked to read several of Mr. Moorcock's books.
                      Such a superficial knowledge of the subject as I possess entitles me to provide
                      information, but an informed opinion is outside my area of competence.

LSN

Comment

Originally posted by kid
                        I've never heard of Cerebus, I'm afraid. Is it something I should seek out and buy?
                        That's a VERY good question, kid. Cerebus the Aardvark is not your standard comic and people either love Dave Sim (Cerebus' creator) or they hate him.

"Cerebus started out as a funny-animal spoof of Conan the Barbarian written, drawn and published by an unknown Canadian cartoonist in 1977. Since then, it has grown into a thoughtful epic whose subjects include politics, religion, society, and the relationships between men and women, telling a single story that will span 300 issues (about 6,000 pages), ending in the main character's death."

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/9923/cerebus.html

Cerebus is kind of a jerk, but you find yourself liking him. Dave Sim said everyone knows someone like Cerebus. "Someone who you wish wasn't your friend, who makes you so mad you swear you'll never speak to him again, and then he does something unexpectedly nice and you can't help liking him.''

For many, Cerebus is an acquired taste.

Comment

Pretty good, the graph paper hurt my eyes however.

Comment

Originally posted by L_Stearns_Newburg
                            ...Your interest in comic arts seems more than passing. ;)
                            :lol:

Originally posted by L_Steerns_Newburg
                            Incidentally, "L_Stearns_Newburg," derived from an inordinately complex
                            private joke, is just my screen name. My real name is a lot more Gallic-sounding.
                            A lot. :roll: Just "LSN" will do, thanks. ;)
                            LSN... that kinda reminds me of an instant message system, but okay.

Speaking of comics, any of you ever read this one?

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=1

I advise you to do so if you haven't already. It had me in tears of laughter on several occasions. And Rich Burlew is brilliant. Go. Read. Now.

Comment

Working...
                            X