Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

Any idea on a new Challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea on a new Challenge?

Any ideas on a new Challenge?

I had an idea while reading Vincent Eri's The Crocodile. Taking the idea of a the shapechanger/shapeshifter - in The Crocodile, set in the Gulf of Papua, it's a man who has taken the shape of a crocodile to take Hoiri's wife Mitoro: among Kenyans it's more often the man taking the shape of the hyena, or riding one - how would we go about using it in a story? And is the accusation valid in the (hypothetical) world of our story?

Just an idea, just my 0.02c worth.
    sigpic Myself as Mephistopheles (Karen Koed's painting of me, 9 Nov 2008, U of Canterbury, CHCH, NZ)

Gold is the power of a man with a man
    And incense the power of man with God
    But myrrh is the bitter taste of death
    And the sour-sweet smell of the upturned sod,

Nativity,
    by Peter Cape

It is that time of year isn't it, so thanks for getting the ball rolling there!

Any other ideas out there?

Comment

We are aware that the plan to publish last year's entries as a collection (Other London) has stalled due to Groakes unavailability following the floodings in Australia so some people may feel reticent about participating this year. I hope we will still be able to fulfil expectations of publishing 'Other London' but since all the <insert cool word meaning 'content' that escapes me for the moment> resides with Groakes we're really dependent on his being back online before we can progress the publication. Sorry.

The decision to do a collected publication last year was a last minute thing and hadn't previously been contemplated, hence it was all done on the hoof somewhat. Would it help in advance if people knew a collection was possible before entering this year or should just forget the idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
      _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
      _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
      _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Originally posted by Rothgo View Post
        It is that time of year isn't it, so thanks for getting the ball rolling there!

Any other ideas out there?
        Didn't someone mention it's Elric's 50th anniversary this year (next month to be precise I believe)? If we could get Mike's permission for a celebratory 'event' would people be interested in something themed around that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
        _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
        _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
        _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

I think a collection of Elric themed work would be most interesting. Of course it wouldn't have to have Elric as a character but at least pay tribute to our troubled albino. Of course, in that regard it could end up being similar to Tales of the White Wolf.

Either way, I think a homage (an homage?) to Elric and the character's influence on the Multiverse, our lives and literature would be splendind.

(I'm determined to get writing done this year, so am trying to take part in as many writing challenges and the like as possible. This will be my year!)
          "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
          --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I like the Elric idea.

But how would we go about it? Homages? Pastiches? Merely playing in the Sandbox?
            Last edited by manmiles; 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I'd probably be too intimidated to write an Elric pastiche, but perhaps we could do stories with the Multiverse as a backdrop. Come up with something based in the Multiverse but using our own characters, though maybe referencing Law & Chaos and other of Mike's concepts. Almost as if we were coming up with new Eternal Champions, I guess.

Comment

Didn't we already kinda do that with the previous challenge, except by using 'obscurely named' characters to base our stories around?

Challenge Ideas.

-Maybe we all write a paragraph pitch for a short story, but get another member to write that pitch instead of us.

-Alternatively, maybe we could take a very, very vague outline of a Moorcock story and write our own take on it.

No, wait, I've got it.

A series of stories based around 'The Ship that Sails Between the Worlds' and it's journeys.
                Last edited by manmiles; 05-22-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I like that one, Manmiles. Always found that ship intriguing.

Comment

Rather like the Ship idea-Manmiles. Great idea.

Comment

Ship idea is a great one! I could go for that.

Another thought I had is to have a collection thematically related by use of a typically Moorcockian adjective. Sardonic...Insouciant...etc. It would be tricky to make a proper theme of it but that would be the challenge part of the excersise.

I am digging the idea of the 'The Ship that Sails Between the Worlds' though...
                      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

Though I haven't entered a story into competition in the past, the Ship idea is quite inspirational!

Comment

I would like to re-suggest the following.

Legends from the Beginning of Time.

Minutes, annotations and foot notes of the Guild of Temporal Adventures.

Who are all these other time travellers in the multiverse and do they all really end up at the end of time?
                          Papa was a Rolling Stone......

Comment

I especially like the time-travellers idea!

Comment

I'm fairly happy to let people pick from either 'The Ship that Sails Between the Worlds' or 'Legends from the Beginning of Time', whichever most takes their fancy.

I think, if you're going to do TSTSBTW then apart from the Ship's crew I'd like to see original creations only rather than re-using any of Mike's characters. I think there's scope for re-imagining TSTSBTW in any number of ways rather than limiting ourselves to the version seen in the Elric/Hawkmoon books. Taking a leaf out of another thread, there could be a chance to use different cultural notions of fantasy here rather than simply re-hashing Western fantasy clichés but that's obviously a personal decision for each writer.

I'm not sure what to suggest for LFTBOT but if anyone's got any ideas/suggestions they're welcome to make them.

Comment

Working...
                              X