Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

What are you reading/collecting at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heresiologist
    Mothra Worshipper
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Doc View Post
    So I just re-read Whedon’s run on Astonishing X-Men. I was so conflicted because of the recent revelations of his toxicity. But the stories were fantastic. I know a person can be both an asshole and talented, but it shapes my reading nevertheless.
    You mean the most recent revelations about his behaviour? There's been a steady drip since Angel at least and quite a dunking in the aftermath of his split from his ex-wife. Seems the levee finally broke.

To quote Harlan Ellison quoting Toulouse-Lautrec: "One should never meet a man whose work one admires. The man is always so much less than the work." Nowadays, social media pretty much ensures you get to meet the man.

Comment

• zlogdan
      Hex data reader and professional pawn
      • Mar 2012

I have acquired

Batman ego and other tails By Darwyn Cooke
      Descender 1 and 2 by Jeff Lemire
      Essex County Jeff Lemire ( All from Amazon promotions )
      To The Heart Of The Storm by Eisner
      The Plot: The Secret Story of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion by Eisner ( These last two came with my CC bonus )
      "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
      "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• EverKing
        Eternal Companion
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Heresiologist View Post
        To quote Harlan Ellison quoting Toulouse-Lautrec: "One should never meet a man whose work one admires. The man is always so much less than the work." ...
        An adage that breaks down before Mike.

For Comics, I have recently started to rebuild my Gaiman collection--lost in bits and pieces over the years--starting, of course, with Sandman.
        "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
        --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

• zlogdan
          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by EverKing View Post
          An adage that breaks down before Mike.

For Comics, I have recently started to rebuild my Gaiman collection--lost in bits and pieces over the years--starting, of course, with Sandman.
          If we lived nearby I would have some Sandman paperbacks to sell. I am selling them because I have all the issues in the digital format . I have all of his so-called books for adults but they are in Portuguese. I am not really prone to read them again so I am selling them; I am now collecting just my top 4 authors( Gene Wolfe, Jack Vance, Moorcock, Leguin ). The books written by Gaiman with exception of Norse Mythology are all excellent but I really don't think Gaiman has written any great comics besides Sandman ( with the exception of Books of Magic ). Speaking of BoM, I was a big fan of the 90s regular series released by DC, and I like it better than Sandman, but seems that DC is not worried about reissues of this series ( except for the first 12 released some years ago ).

I bought all the 76 Brazilian issues of Sandman as they were sold but I sold my collection back in 2005 because I needed money.

Have you tried Abebooks? They usually have lots of Gaiman with free shipping inside the US.
          "From time to time I demonstrate the inconceivable, or mock the innocent, or give truth to liars, or shred the poses of virtue.(...) Now I am silent; this is my mood." From Sundrun's Garden, Jack Vance.
          "As the Greeks have created the Olympus based upon their own image and resemblance, we have created Gotham City and Metropolis and all these galaxies so similar to the corporate world, manipulative, ruthless and well paid, that conceived them." Braulio Tavares.

Comment

• zlogdan
            • Mar 2012

I went to a used books store this last Saturday and traded my Neil Gaiman fiction books paperbacks, along with some Sandman paperbacks for two excellent comic books

The Final Frontier Omnibuses Special- Hardcover Darwyn Cooke
            Trillium - Jeff Lemire

Two of my favorite authors/artists but the final frontier is astonishing.

For the rest of my credits, I used to get a few books for my youngest son. He was after Kafka and Herman Hesse ( don't ask me why ) but only found the latter. He also got a Percy Jackson book and the first of the Narnia books hardcover.

Comment

• zlogdan
              • Mar 2012

Brazilian Hellboy omnibuses 1,2, and 3 ( not hardcovers. ) for half the price.

Comment

• Kymba334
                Eternal Champion
                • Jun 2011

Neon Genesis Evangelion : 3 in 1 edition, Volume 1. Art and story by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. (1995)
                Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

• migellito
                  Moonbeam Traveller
                  • May 2020

Just finished reading Kane of Old Mars for the first time. Looking for the next thing to read.

Comment

• zlogdan
                    • Mar 2012

I am reading Gardner Fox Justice League Silver Age Omnibus 1 (digital) . While It took me a while to get used to the style I came to enjoy Gardner's Fox prose and formulas. Intended for 12 years old kids but smartly written.
                    I have just finished Tom King's Strange Adventures part 1 paperback ( collected issues 1-6 ), which is exceptional.

Comment

• Tom Murphy
                      Tea and cake for my lord Arioch!
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by zlogdan View Post
                      I am reading Gardner Fox Justice League Silver Age Omnibus 1 (digital) . While It took me a while to get used to the style I came to enjoy Gardner's Fox prose and formulas.
                      This biography of Gardner Fox is terribly edited but gives a nice flavour of the industry at the time and where he was coming from:
                      https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W9J7J...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Comment

• zlogdan
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Tom Murphy View Post

This biography of Gardner Fox is terribly edited but gives a nice flavour of the industry at the time and where he was coming from:
                        https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W9J7J...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
                        Thanks a lot for the recommendation, I have just bought the kindle edition.

Comment

• zlogdan
                          • Mar 2012

My wife is not going to like it, but I could not resist getting the paperbacks Hellboy omnibus 4 and the first short stories omnibus. Long story, but I wanted to have hard copies of them for a long time. I love Mike Mignola's prose and art ( the invited artists are very good too ).

Comment

Working...
                          X