Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you!
See more
See less

An incident at Gallifrey Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An incident at Gallifrey Base

I'd just like to tell you all about something that happened to me at the Gallifrey Base forum a short while ago. Over there I go by the name of Brenapp. In the course of my offering up my theories and opinions on the site since I joined, I've made the unwelcome aquaintance of a person who calls himself B*****R*****, who seems to take great delight in deriding anything I say and insulting me.

It's true that I've been vocally critical of some aspects of Steven Moffat's storytelling on the new series, but Moffat is a well-established writer and producer, and surely does not need to worry about anything fans say. I, on the other hand, am just one person with no real power or influence. So my self esteem is valuable to me. Yet B*****R***** goes out of his way to demolish this.

A couple of days ago I started a discussion about certain discontinuities in ancient Dalek history between the TV stories The Daleks and Genesis of the Daleks. I asked for other people's opinions of the ideas I put forth, and B*****R***** instantly said that my ideas were tedious and convoluted, and accused me of going onto the site purely to seek validiction (Like no one else does), and of boring everyone. This was not the first time he had said such things to me, and I admit I got quite flustered, and told him to shut up, and voiced my opinion that he has nothing but contempt for me, which is obvious judging from his posts so far. I admit that I should not have done this, but then I received a reprimand from the moderators....and B*****R*****'s comments to me were ignored. Apparently, I'm the sole vilain in this matter. When I threatened legal action, I was temporarily banned from the forum. This site is obviously run by bullies, for bullies.

I don't know if anyone else here is a member of Gallifrey Base, but if so, I would strongly recommend boycotting the forum, as it is not a healthy place to be. Then again, that is entirely your decision. Thank you.
    Last edited by The Cosmic Balance; 08-04-2011, 01:47 AM. Reason: Redacted GB forum member's name

I'm sorry to hear this but not surprised. Obviously it's not good form for one internet forum administrator to bad mouth another's internet forum but I think it's not unreasonable to say that I wouldn't run a forum the way GB appears to be run, but I daresay we attract a different type of member so different policies and procedures may be required. (Once, in a GB discussion about breaking book spines, I made a light-hearted crack about pushing the wife down the stairs as a show of affection, which the moderators took a very dim view of. Go figure, as they say. )

I'm afraid that in hindsight you can probably see that you should have reported the other user's posts and let the moderators sort him out rather than taking things into your own hands. By sinking to his level you unfortunately put yourself in the moderators' firing line. Sad to say but that sometimes happens in real life as well. (Oh, and threatening legal action is never going to endear you to the site staff, I'm afraid, here or anywhere else.)

Personally my interest in Doctor Who has atrophied since Moffat took over, so I rarely stray into the DW sections of GB these days. It's probably a better experience that way in any case.
    Last edited by David Mosley; 08-04-2011, 06:28 AM. Reason: Reworded for tact.
    _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
    _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
    _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
    _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

It's got a bit of a rep that particular forum, but yes, most forums involve a level of social politics: if you loose your temper, you loose.

An example here is that those of a nominally right-wing disposition often have a lot of trouble with the prevailing nominally left-wing viewpoint of most members: sadly, tempers often flare before calm argument and its usually the first flamer who gets shot down, even though the responsibility for the bad vibe spreads further than that. Often its just down to an initial poor chose of descriptors, be that "redneck idiots" or "liberal saps": either is inflamitory despite often being used without comment when within a more homogonous viewpoint group, so apparently 'surprising' to be an issue when posted on a global forum board!

As regards the poster in question though, you are looking at a troll in action, and we all know the rule for trolls!

Comment

Many site admins are simply bat-shit crazy. I'm sure you can figure out which are and which aren't.
        Infinite complexity according to simple rules.

Comment

I read a bit over there but never post. Whenever I've posted something on a Who forum (the gist of my post generally being 'I like such and such ha ha doctor who is fun') I've found that I am in the middle of a deep religious debate and someone steps forward promptly to do verbal violence on me and my heretical views. So not so much with the posting where Who fans are involved.

Comment

Given the number of RTD's 10th Doctor's "Christ" poses, (hell even Jack did some as I recall), is it any wonder?

Comment

I'm Krimson over there as well. I rarely post and have said repeatedly that GB (or as I sometimes call it, Gallifrey /b/ is not the place to pose serious questions. Its a troll haven. I only bother to log in for some topics in technobabble these days, as well as show related updates.
              Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

Which story is your favorite? WRONG ANSWER! Get out the thumbscrews and the comfy chair

Comment

Hmmm....

...Maybe that operation is secretly run by Thrak- the Hippy Dalek!
                  oh...just guessing mind... you Who fans!
                  Last edited by Kymba334; 08-05-2011, 01:00 AM. Reason: error
                  Mwana wa simba ni simba

The child of a lion is also a lion - Swahili Wisdom

Comment

I'm like Jason, I read over there, but don't post. There's an incredible amount of fun info. But, the people seem a bit mean. If I want a mean conversation, I just go to work.
                    Kevin McCabe
                    The future is there, looking back at us. Trying to make sense of the fiction we will have become. William Gibson

Comment

I checked into GB a few months back (around the time of the airing of The Doctor's Wife) and have to say that I have little intention of making a habit out of it. I don't even know that I posted anything but just reading though the flaming and argument left me dizzy.

Originally posted by Rothgo
                      An example here is that those of a nominally right-wing disposition often have a lot of trouble with the prevailing nominally left-wing viewpoint of most members
                      I'm generally right-leaning and am happy to say that I seem to get along with everyone here quite well! Of course, I'm 'right' in the 'live and let live' way of minimal government interference in our lives which for the most part agrees with the 'left' viewpoint of social acceptance and civic responsibility. I'm sure that helps! Well, that and the fact that I can see the value of most points of view.
                      "In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro"
                      --Thomas a Kempis

Comment

I think the only trouble here has been out and out trolling, but I'm fairly sure the people doing it didn't really understand that they were trying to pick a fight.

OTOH, Who fans generally seem eager to get into deeply personal fights about which color the doctor's scarf ought to be or something, and I think there's been a kind of fanaticism with US fans all the way back to the days of the DWFCA. The internet seems to have added a pretty nasty edge to it because you can say all kinds of trash without getting socked in the jaw.

Different groups of fans seem to have a kind of collective personality. Moorcock fans are of course all a great bunch of people :>

Comment

I've just discovered that the forum poster who insulted me several times in the past has pasted part of a post I made a while ago onto his profile page, where I state that he is insulting me and I will not stand for it. He's obviously doing this to mock me.

This is not acceptable. Is there anywhere I can go online to report this kind of behaviour?

Comment

You would be best advised, in the first instance, to report them to Steven Hill at GB or one of the moderators and express your concerns to them.
                            _"For an eternity Allard was alone in an icy limbo where all the colours were bright and sharp and comfortless.
                            _For another eternity Allard swam through seas without end, all green and cool and deep, where distorted creatures drifted, sometimes attacking him.
                            _And then, at last, he had reached the real world – the world he had created, where he was God and could create or destroy whatever he wished.
                            _He was supremely powerful. He told planets to destroy themselves, and they did. He created suns. Beautiful women flocked to be his. Of all men, he was the mightiest. Of all gods, he was the greatest."

Comment

Working...
                            X