Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

O Big Brother, Why For Art Thou?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Well, now Big Brother is over for another year, and I must admit that I'm a little upset. Not because I watched the programme (I didn't), but because my sister did, and that meant I had two hours of guaranteed access to the computer every day!

Now that's gone, and I'm adrift on an ocean of uncertainty.. sort of.

Roll on "Celebrity Jungle Tedium"!! :)

Leave a comment:

• manmiles
    replied
    Well, looks like another summer spent NOT WATCHING TV...especially since Doctor Who finishes in three weeks time...sniff sniff.

Anyway, I admit watching and LIKING the first series of Big Brother and found it to be an interesting experiment on human behaviour maskerading as TV Entertainment and exploitation, but all the subsequent series have all seemingly about spectacle and entertainment. It seems that to get in, you have to either

Loud
    Arrogant
    Drink Problem
    Slut
    Weird in some way
    Gay/Lesbain/Transexual
    Self-loving

If anyone needs me over the next few months, I'll be in my room, waiting for mankind to evolve.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by zakt
    Doc wrote:
    I live about 1400 miles from the rest of my family,
    Heaven!! :) (sometimes anyway )
    Living closer would probably create more drama than Big Brother. It might make for interesting reality TV, though :lol:

Leave a comment:

• Mikey_C
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    There's a new book out at the moment about how TV and computer games are actually making people smarter... the argument for shows like BB is that viewers learn about how humans from different backgrounds interact and deal with conflict...
    Well, there goes my aspirations to intelligence. I watched BB for about 5 minutes once and it reminded me of the dentist's waiting room. So, no 'reality TV' for me! (Not until they invent Celebrity Gorefest that is.... :twisted: )

Leave a comment:

• zakt
    replied
    Doc wrote:
    I live about 1400 miles from the rest of my family,
    Heaven!! :) (sometimes anyway )

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally posted by DeeCrowSeer
    Again, my main complaint is that my sister and mother will now start talking to me about people I've never heard of, as if they were old family friends, and I will have to pretend to care. Gah! :x
    A bit off topic, but...

I live about 1400 miles from the rest of my family, but they often forget that I don't live just around the corner. They willl often talk to me, at great length, about people they think I know (and maybe did know, at some point), and I, too, have to pretend to care.

At least you can tune in to figure out who concerns your mother and sister so much. Big Brother 7--Podunk, USA won't be on air any time soon for me to do the same. :)

Leave a comment:

• zakt
    replied
    Hmph .... The most galling aspect of the whole affair this year, is that the most sympathetic character from what I could see last night is a Tory Party political analyst, and even he reminds me of the sinister camp agent (is that right? it's a long time since I saw it) from Jarman's "Jubilee".

The one hope is that the hairdresser who said he wants evryone to be miserable, and if possible die, will have smuggled in some weaponry. It may be my age, but when a graduate's main topic of conversation is the extent to which she can wear out vibrators (oh, pull the other one, dearie), then perhaps being locked in a house for 12 weeks is insufficient punishment.

The suggestion from last year that they should be locked in the house without the camera switched on is beginning to look more and more sensible.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Ah, another year, another Big Brother (un)RealityTV fest. :x

Just before the commercial break before the new series kicked off, the continuity announcer said: "Your summer starts here"! If the only thing we have to look forward to this summer is BB then I should warn you that you're going to be hearing a lot of crying from me over the next couple of months.

I've resisted the temptation to even watch the first show (in the past I would sit there waiting for someone I could actually respect to appear on screen. Foolish, foolish Dee), but my sister and mother sat through Celebrity Love Island, and have now switched over to the BB launch.

There's a new book out at the moment about how TV and computer games are actually making people smarter... the argument for shows like BB is that viewers learn about how humans from different backgrounds interact and deal with conflict... I'm not sure I agree, or disagree. I just know that (consistent with my previous posts in this dusty thread) I would much rather watch some well-crafted drama, than "real" people yelling at each other about cider and body parts.

Again, my main complaint is that my sister and mother will now start talking to me about people I've never heard of, as if they were old family friends, and I will have to pretend to care. Gah! :x

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Although I have cut down on the TV I watch, I would be very grouchy if someone tried to stop me tuning in to Six Feet Under or Buffy (while it was still on), but other than that there isn't anything I really *must* see anymore. Like Doc I enjoyed Alias, but lucky for me it was bought up by a channel I can't receive, so I was able to escape the hypnotic hold of its totally incomprehensible storylines. Anything by Chris Morris tends to have a grip on my psyche too, but they don't let him near the screen very often.

D...

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    When my wife and I moved six months ago, we never got around to hooking up cable. I think that is part of what keeps me from a TV addiction, because I think I would salivate blankly watching Six Feet Under, The Shield, and The Sopranos.

I faithfully watch NYPD Blue, too-- I really like the present cast. I hardly miss Alias, and I really like Scrubs, but NBC keeps moving it around. I'll also admit (somewhat embarrassed) to liking One Tree Hill on the WB, a show I'm much too old to watch, but I got hooked.

I'm afraid it says something about my taste, but most of my recent "can't miss" shows have been cancelled: Ed, Angel, and the Practice, which I started to love again when James Spader joined the cast.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    What are the shows you have to watch? I imagine that says a lot about us.

I do not miss:
    Sopranos (thankfully it is only on for 13 weeks every year and a half or so)
    NYPD Blue
    The Shield

I will watch CSI and Law & Order if I need to relax, my eyes hurt, and my daughter is sleeping. Otherwise I will read.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    I'm with Dee. I get a little bit embarrassed about the few shows that I absolutely must see. If I had wall to wall programming like that, I might become a zombie. Sometimes I want to be a kill your TV type, but some stuff is just so good...

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jules
    General thoughts :
    Wouldn't it be terrible if TV was all GOOD. If every program was a well scripted classic. We'd have no time to do anything else for fear of missing out.
    That's an incredibly good point. If every programme was a Buffy or a Six Feet Under, with twenty two episodes per season... I could very well become addicted again and never leave the house. Thank goodness most of the best programmes shown in the UK are expensive American imports, or sitcoms with nice short runs. I actually feel much better about the crap they churn out now. I'm free!! Thank you Jules!

D...

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied
    A friend of mine had the same (repeated) experience with the TV license people. 'We know you've got one, we'll come back with a warrant'. He said fine, but he wasn't letting them in until then, because they should take his word that he didn't have a TV. Quite what they would have made of his old 'tennis' videogame I don't know!

Now given all the money they spent advertising their high tech TV detectors, I wonder how they failed to detect that he didn't have a TV? Could it be that they don't use anything high-tech but just go around all the addresses without a licence??

General thoughts :
    Wouldn't it be terrible if TV was all GOOD. If every program was a well scripted classic. We'd have no time to do anything else for fear of missing out. (And the fact is we now watch less TV in the UK than in the 70s, and I also think it dominates conversation far less. You don't feel a social outcast through not watching the same program as 50% of the population.

As for TV and children - like fast food or computer games or whatever, it is the parents that should be taking more responsibility / interest in what their kids are watching - your child does NOT need a TV in their bedroom. MTV is a subscription channel. And while on the subject of pop stars influence, the alternative types are just as influential on their fans appearance as the Britney's of this world.

Leave a comment:

• DeeCrowSeer
    replied
    Originally posted by M-A_19
    When we explained that we neither possessed, or desired to posess a television, the chimp that they sent asked what we were going to watch "the football" on!
    That's a particularly stupid question, considering the fact that most pubs show all of the major football matches. If you want to watch sports, that's a much more sociable way to do it (assuming you support the local team, of course). At the moment there isn't a single thing I'd miss watching on TV, but of course you still need a licence to watch videos and DVDs, and I doubt I could go very long without the occasional Buffy.

On the subject of thongs, I think they're a great invention if only because they help you to instantly identify the women with a scrap of dignity from the others. It narrows down the field.

D...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X