Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

O Big Brother, Why For Art Thou?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"TV is evil."

TV doesn't kill brain cells, people kill brain cells. Or something like that.

The bottom line with TV, and we have talked about this before ad nauseum, is what 22 (or 48) minute block of film is going to get the most ad revenue, preferably from the 22 to 48 year old demographic. Even ratings don't really matter on presold broadcasts, except to the extent that those ratings impact the next sale.

Does Mark Barnett care if Survivor is "real" or a skillful edit? I'm sure when he's done with his caviar and champagne, and relaxing with a Cohiba on is 46 ft. Egg Harbor it probably crosses his mind...wait, no, no it doesn't.

Probably more than any other medium, TV is a result of what we put up with. Which is why "cult shows" don't remain depsite high profile "Save the Show!" campaigns. Why try to sell advertising space when the same 1.5 million people every week are going to watch? A marketing manager doesn't want that. He'll take 1.5 MM a week IF there is a reasonable chance that that 1.5MM will be somewhat unique. But the same pack of losers that watch Homicide each week (I can say that, I was one of them) is not a high priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
      .But the same pack of losers that watch Homicide each week (I can say that, I was one of them) is not a high priority.
      Man, I loved that show. :(

I always wonder how so many really good shows don't survive, and so much crap winds up drawing 17 million viewers an episode. After a while I might have to believe that I'm the one with bad taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
        Probably more than any other medium, TV is a result of what we put up with.
        I have to agree. Not that I wish to keep picking on my own mother, but as I say she'll complain about how terrible a show is, but she'll keep watching to see how bad it will get. I used to be the same, although I'll claim that (as a wannabe script writer) I do havbe some vague professional reason for watching bad sitcoms. I've managed to get out of the habit now, thankfully. As DeepFixer suggests, it's easier when you have CDs and videos to fall back on (or beaches in close proximity now the weather is warming up).

I'd have to say that the problem also crops up with the trashier newspapers though. Again my mother complains that the newspaper we have is always filled with celebrity gossip, but if you let your husband pick a newspaper simply because it has a topless woman on Page 3, you have to expect that sort of thing.

In my humble opinion, as a repeatedly rejected script writer, the problem is that TV (in the UK at least) is a very controlled medium. There is no independent, or "public access", broadcasting. It's possible to make indie films and pirate radio broadcasts (or underground comics or music demos), but an indie sitcom? It's possible of course, but unlikely.

D...
        "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

I don't know that I agree that "TV is evil." It is, for the most part, mindnumbingly boring though! I gave up watching tv about a year ago, and have much more fun now. I find I have more time to chat to friends, listen to music, attend gigs, read etc.
          I now find it amusing to hear people intently discussing events and 'people' from soaps or reality tv shows. Tv seems to suck out their brains! Maybe it is evil :lol:

Comment

"TV is evil" is not meant to be taken literally.

There is a little truth to it, but I wrote it in humor.

I think there should be concern about TV considering
            children. That is exactly why I bash MTV. It purveys
            a lot of negative messages.
            Young women wear thongs nowadays. I might be
            more conservative than some people, but I don't think
            girls below the age of 18 should be wearing thongs unless
            they are sexually active and promiscuous. Only then it's fine;
            because in that case, it's not "false advertising." haha
            ::Hi! By my low-cut jeans you can see that I have a thong on, especially
            when I bend over. [some of them have the contrived tribal tatoo on the
            small of the back] Come and get me big boy!::
            Where do young ladies get the idea that thongs are the
            posh kind of underwear to wear? Maybe magazines
            and TV? I'd hate to think that the idea originated from some
            clothing line executive who wanted to target a new demographic.
            ::Let's get the 15 year olds to buy them!::
            Thong or no thong, that's not much an issue in the
            obsession with beauty. Bigger problems have been
            discussed on here before:
            plastic surgery, bulemia, and anorexia. Someone is pushing
            images/ messages/ ideas that are convincing people that those
            are the things to do in order to be/ stay beautiful. If there
            were no TV and magazines, it would be a little harder to
            convince a lot of people on a grand scale.
            It's really late here. I should hit the sack before my writing
            becomes even more incoherent
            ;)
            \"Bush\'s army of barmy bigots is the worst thing that\'s happened to the US in some years...\"
            Michael Moorcock - 3am Magazine Interview

Comment

We had the BBC's paramilitary wing (the TV licensing bureau) knocking the door down yesterday.

When we explained that we neither possessed, or desired to posess a television, the chimp that they sent asked what we were going to watch "the football" on!

I enjoy both the BBC's web services and their radio stations, but will never, ever buy a television.

Michel Moore: "Do you know in Britain, you have to have a license to watch television?"

American Lady on Street:"wow, I'd pass first time!"
              \"It got worse. He needed something to cure himself. What? he asked. M-A 19 he answered.\"

Comment

RE: Thongs-

Where do young ladies get the idea that thongs are the
                posh kind of underwear to wear?
                I had a leaflet through my door the other day with a picture of a washing line with two examples of ladies underwear hung on it;

One was a thong, the other; bikini briefs. The slogan was "Which will you be wearing this summer?" It was for a slimming club.

I expect the reaction they wanted was "Oh my God I've got a fat arse how bad it would look in a thong!!!!!" I think the fashion is dictated by how hard it is to buy nice briefs that are not a thong.

But everybody knows/should know that slimming causes cellulite to appear and fat-bottomed girls make the rocking world go round.

RE: TV-Licencing-

As a fan of "The Young Ones" and someone who doesn't own a TV. I am often tempted to shout:

"Oh no it's the TV Licence detector man, Heavy!" when I answer the door. Or do so with a plug hanging out of my mouth having "eaten" the telly.

Perhaps there should be a TV test, to make sure people are differenciating between fact and fiction. That would stop fans of soap operas punching actors and spraying "Free Deirdree Rachid" on bridges. Hmmmm...... :?

Comment

"...and fat-bottomed girls make the rocking world go round."

Great quote from a great song off a great album by a great band.

Comment

Originally posted by M-A_19
                    When we explained that we neither possessed, or desired to posess a television, the chimp that they sent asked what we were going to watch "the football" on!
                    That's a particularly stupid question, considering the fact that most pubs show all of the major football matches. If you want to watch sports, that's a much more sociable way to do it (assuming you support the local team, of course). At the moment there isn't a single thing I'd miss watching on TV, but of course you still need a licence to watch videos and DVDs, and I doubt I could go very long without the occasional Buffy.

On the subject of thongs, I think they're a great invention if only because they help you to instantly identify the women with a scrap of dignity from the others. It narrows down the field.

D...

Comment

A friend of mine had the same (repeated) experience with the TV license people. 'We know you've got one, we'll come back with a warrant'. He said fine, but he wasn't letting them in until then, because they should take his word that he didn't have a TV. Quite what they would have made of his old 'tennis' videogame I don't know!

Now given all the money they spent advertising their high tech TV detectors, I wonder how they failed to detect that he didn't have a TV? Could it be that they don't use anything high-tech but just go around all the addresses without a licence??

General thoughts :
                      Wouldn't it be terrible if TV was all GOOD. If every program was a well scripted classic. We'd have no time to do anything else for fear of missing out. (And the fact is we now watch less TV in the UK than in the 70s, and I also think it dominates conversation far less. You don't feel a social outcast through not watching the same program as 50% of the population.

As for TV and children - like fast food or computer games or whatever, it is the parents that should be taking more responsibility / interest in what their kids are watching - your child does NOT need a TV in their bedroom. MTV is a subscription channel. And while on the subject of pop stars influence, the alternative types are just as influential on their fans appearance as the Britney's of this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules
                        General thoughts :
                        Wouldn't it be terrible if TV was all GOOD. If every program was a well scripted classic. We'd have no time to do anything else for fear of missing out.
                        That's an incredibly good point. If every programme was a Buffy or a Six Feet Under, with twenty two episodes per season... I could very well become addicted again and never leave the house. Thank goodness most of the best programmes shown in the UK are expensive American imports, or sitcoms with nice short runs. I actually feel much better about the crap they churn out now. I'm free!! Thank you Jules!

D...

Comment

I'm with Dee. I get a little bit embarrassed about the few shows that I absolutely must see. If I had wall to wall programming like that, I might become a zombie. Sometimes I want to be a kill your TV type, but some stuff is just so good...

Comment

What are the shows you have to watch? I imagine that says a lot about us.

I do not miss:
                            Sopranos (thankfully it is only on for 13 weeks every year and a half or so)
                            NYPD Blue
                            The Shield

I will watch CSI and Law & Order if I need to relax, my eyes hurt, and my daughter is sleeping. Otherwise I will read.

Comment

When my wife and I moved six months ago, we never got around to hooking up cable. I think that is part of what keeps me from a TV addiction, because I think I would salivate blankly watching Six Feet Under, The Shield, and The Sopranos.

I faithfully watch NYPD Blue, too-- I really like the present cast. I hardly miss Alias, and I really like Scrubs, but NBC keeps moving it around. I'll also admit (somewhat embarrassed) to liking One Tree Hill on the WB, a show I'm much too old to watch, but I got hooked.

I'm afraid it says something about my taste, but most of my recent "can't miss" shows have been cancelled: Ed, Angel, and the Practice, which I started to love again when James Spader joined the cast.

Comment

Although I have cut down on the TV I watch, I would be very grouchy if someone tried to stop me tuning in to Six Feet Under or Buffy (while it was still on), but other than that there isn't anything I really *must* see anymore. Like Doc I enjoyed Alias, but lucky for me it was bought up by a channel I can't receive, so I was able to escape the hypnotic hold of its totally incomprehensible storylines. Anything by Chris Morris tends to have a grip on my psyche too, but they don't let him near the screen very often.

D...

Comment

Working...
                                X