Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Forestillinger: Danish TV-series to look out for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forestillinger: Danish TV-series to look out for

A small theatre stage (think off-off-off-off-off-off-Broadway) is turning one of Shakespeare's sonets, "Venus and Adonis" into a stage play. "A world premiere by Shakespeare, no less!" announces the theatre manager at the dinner party where he himself gathers with the director and the actors. That's just the beginning. After some hard work and internal squabbles, they all pull it off, and the play is a success. That's the end.

That may not sound like a very interesting story, but in fact it's the framework for six interesting stories, no less.

"6 weeks, 6 persons, 6 realities" is the common caption for the six episodes that make out Per Fly's tv dramas "Forestillinger". They world premiered in early 2007 on six consecutve Sundays on DR (the Danish answer to the BBC) to the acclaim of that most dreaded animal that is the reviewers, and to also to the Danish general public if one is to trust the opinon pollers who counted the number of that beast.

Each episode goes back to the beginning and tells how the incidents are experienced by one of the main characters. So, each episode takes place within roughly the same time-span, and the central scenes are, in fact, the same: The initial gathering at a dinner party, the first rehearsal, the fainting of an actress during rehearsals, a drunk actor during rehearsals, and finaaly the premiere.

Yet, ultimately, like in Jan Kjaerstad's trilogy about Jonas Wergeland, it's all not one story told from the point of view of different characters, it's a completely different story every time, even if the central incidents are the same. The six main characters do indeed live in seperate realities, although they believe to share just one. They're making each their imagination ("forestilling") or reality of the the incidents.

So, ok, it's been done in literature before (not just by Kjaerstad, but some of you may also think of a champion seeing alternate realities during a conjunction of a million shpheres; but at a time when TV is doing its best with LOST in America and WAKING THE DEAD in the UK, I think we have a right here in Denmark to be very proud of Per Fly who made this series.
    The word "forestilling" is best tranlated as "representation", I think. It doesn't cover exactly, but at least it covers both "show" and "impression" to some degree, an amigbuity that is central to the title.
    "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Hey - I really want to see this.

Does anyone have a copy I could borrow/buy??

I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks in advance

J

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
      Hey - I really want to see this.

Does anyone have a copy I could borrow/buy??

I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks in advance

J
      I have the DVD, but sadly it's in Danish only. One would think they'd spend the little extra to furnish it with English subtitles, especially since it isn't an obvious candidate for a wide international market, but no.

I was hoping somebody might spot it somewhere, like on BBC or PBS, for an English-speaking audience, but I haven't heard anything about such a thing yet.

There're Danish subtitles on the DVD (for the hearing-impaired), so if you happen to know enough Danish to read it, we can find a way. Alternatively, we can cross our fingers.

Or maybe spend the waiting time reading Faulkner's "Absalom, Absalom!", which I'm told is an early example using the technique. I really must get around to reading that (especially as I greatly enjoyed "As I Lay Dying" even if it was part of a school curriculum which always tended to turn me off most stuff).
      Last edited by Jagged; 10-20-2015, 03:35 PM.
      "If the environment were a bank, we would already have saved it." -Graffitti.

Comment

Working...
      X